Author Topic: 75,000 Mile Service  (Read 6057 times)

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
75,000 Mile Service
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:02 AM »
This week I had my 2010 Mk2 i-VTEC Jazz serviced by a Honda main dealer in the north west of England. On inspection of the bill I was invoiced for 8 spark plugs and they aren’t cheap. When I queried this with the service advisor it was confirmed that my car needed 8 spark plugs. It was only when I took this up with the service manager that it was acknowledged a mistake had been made and that I should only have been invoiced for 4 and now I’m due a refund. If you have had a similar service it might be worth checking that you have been invoiced for the correct parts/quantities. (Note that if you are reading this and have a Mk1 Jazz with a i-DSI engine you will need 8 spark plugs.)

mylesm

• Approved Member
Re: 75,000 Mile Service
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
Thats why I hate leaving a car in to them I know I have to but I nearly always have bad experiences with dealers not doing work well Or I always wonder If they done it properly

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
i just go in for the basic service and add the things i want, they always ring me if its brake pads etc and i let them know if i want it done

when i am up to 75000 i will be getting plugs and gearbox oil done

i hope they didnt brake any plastic clips on your cowl getting it off when they stripped it down to get to the plugs and the wiper motors too

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »
when i am up to 75000 i will be getting plugs done

Has anyone on here actually left the long life plugs in for the 75,000 and if so what condition were they in? Or putting it another way is there any benefit in changing them sooner, say at 25,000 or two yearly ?

Vic.

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »
Not a 75000 mile service but the annual one that Honda 'gave' me when I bought the car. First question was not any problems BUT what oil do you want? Do you want synthetic? So I asked how much £21. I declined being a bit parsimonious, perhaps that's why no interest shown to the couple of spots where the paint has lifted.
What has given me a bit of grief was that during the service, the plug I had made for my front parking sensors had been moved. When I fitted the sensors, having bought a can bus? box, instead of cutting into the wiring loom to give access to two wires at the back of the OBD11 socket, I made up a fitting using an OBD11 plug. By plugging into the OBD11 socket, I was able to have the feed required to give me speed sensitive front sensors and also still have access to the OBD11 socket.
Given the number of posts whereby Honda dealers have required payment to analyze using the OBD11 socket I was surprised that it appeared to have been used for analysis, unless someone was being nosey. I just wish they had put it back properly. As to the service, well I suppose it was OK but how do you tell on a level 1.

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
when i am up to 75000 i will be getting plugs done

Has anyone on here actually left the long life plugs in for the 75,000 and if so what condition were they in? Or putting it another way is there any benefit in changing them sooner, say at 25,000 or two yearly ?

Vic.

My plugs had been in for 78,500 miles when I had the 75K service done and I don't think there would have been any benefit in changing them any sooner than at the scheduled 75K interval. Besides, it would be quite expensive to change them more frequently, I've just had an £88 refund for 4 plugs.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »
i always ask and they only use fully synthetic oil at the main dealers i use

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
Not in a Jazz, but a friend of mine had a plug fail, the electrode fell off into the cylinder and it made a real mess of the piston, valves and head, this was in less 12000 miles, the recommended change point was 12000 miles the manufacturer supplied the parts even though it was outside their warranty period and my friend paid for the labour, which was the bulk of the cost.
So given that I would never go past the recommended change point, a set of plugs are far cheaper than an engine rebuild.
Regarding being charged for items you did have or need, I had a bill that listed four spark plugs, my bike had 3 cylinders! I asked if they'd fitted a four cylinder engine during the service? They saw the mistake and the joke and rectified it.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
Going past recommended change point for plugs can also result in gap getting too wide and the voltage required for spark to jump it increases,  this can result in insulation in coil pack failing and burning out,  this was more of an issue with regular plugs and not the iridium and platinum electrode types which maintain their gap a lot better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything