Author Topic: Tall Drivers  (Read 7333 times)

guest5508

Tall Drivers
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:00:15 AM »
Hey guys,

Just bought a 2009 Honda Jazz S for my first car a few days back, and I think I'm in love.

One small issue I do have is to do with my height. I'm 6 foot tall, and while this is by far the most comfortable car I've driven in for head and leg room, I have found that the steering wheel sometimes obstructs my view of the speedometer. With the wheel up as high as it can go, and the seat as low as possible, the top of the wheel covers the speedometer for 50, 60, 70, and 80 mph. It's a small thing, but on motorway driving, it means I can't just glance down and see what I'm doing.

Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

C

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Tall Drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
I have come across this problem myself, also being 6 ft tall. Are you perhaps a little closer to the pedals than you need to be? Would one notch back help things?

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »
I am over 6ft tall, I have the seat back as far as it will go and find if I have the seat too upright it blocks the speedo, if I recline the seat slightly until I have clear view I find that it is a better more comfortable driving position anyway.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »
I'm another 6 footer, I drop the seat down and back, then just recline the seat a touch and all is good, and a relaxed driving position.

blackworx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 1.4 i-VTEC ES Manual
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
OP I have the same problem.  Can't put seat any further back, and need to have an extremely upright position because of bad neck and shoulders.  I found dropping the wheel helps with being able to check speed at a glance on the motorway.  This does however cause the wheel to completely obstruct the lower end of the speedo dial.  I've yet to find a position for seat/wheel that I'm completely happy with.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
Some time back, I questioned the problem of the Jazz brakes. It was suggested that if the seat was 'jacked' up it might help, giving a more upright driving stance.
 I am also 6 ft but my Wife is 5 ft. In order to compromise, I set the seat at about midway between maximum and minimum ht, allowing for the difference by having the seat fully back for me but not altering the ht. I will admit that I cannot say that I can see all of the speedo but I think it would have been apparent if it was shielded at all. I can only assume that the steering wheel is set fairly low for my other half. Just give the lever beside the seat a couple of pulls and it might help. As to the seat back rake that is a matter of preference.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »
Strange, I am 6'2" tall and have no problem seeing the speedometer, perhaps I have a dwarfs body !!

Vic.

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Same as Vic, I'm also 6'2" and see all instruments perfectly, maybe you shorty 6 footers need a booster cushion!  :P

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
I think it may depend on the relative length of legs and torso...

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:25:03 AM »
Indeed, I'm 1.80m, but I have the chair all the way to the rear.

Arthur49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i-VTEC ES Auto
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
I have the same problem, but it's made worse by the footrest in the auto which is set far too far forward and doesn't seem to be adjustable.  Anyone know if it can be removed?
Edited to add: I've yanked the plastic bit off to find it clips into a metal frame bolted onto the chassis.  I can't tell if I can just unbolt this frame and so leave the floor flat or if it botls to another structure on the car floor - or even if I DO unbolt it something else will drop off underneath... anyone done this???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:40:01 AM by Arthur49 »

Tags: