Author Topic: Mpg suffers  (Read 2561 times)

guest4818

Mpg suffers
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
I got a steel spare wheel with tyre for the car as I wasn't to keen on using the fluid in the tyre setup, noticed that I was losing about  four to five miles mpg in town and on a ruin I've taken the wheel out today but not been anywhere hoping mpg goes back up anybody noticed the same thing, mpg has Definetley gone down with spare wheel.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Mpg suffers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
First thoughts:

Any extra weight will have a detrimental effect on mpg.

But this seems something like a 10% loss. You could understand this if the wheel added 10% to weight of the car but it will be nothing like that. I would have expected an almost unmeasurable dip.

I'd try a few more fill ups before reaching a firm conclusion. It could well be something else entirely.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
It is extremely unlikely that the addition of a spare wheel is going to make a noticeable difference to your fuel consumption.
How much difference does travelling with a boot load of shopping make or carrying one passenger ?
I added a steel spare to my car and it made no measurable difference to my fuel consumption, neither does carrying one passenger.

I would imagine you would have to go to a full load of passengers of passengers and luggage to make much difference.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
can't see adding a spare wheel would affect fuel consumption at all.  I have just bought winter tyres on steel wheels for my wifes Jazz and am very happy to fit one in the wheel well as a spare and get rid of that stupid gunk and air pump. In the winter she can use one of her alloys with summer tyre as a spare.

the weather has been getting colder over over the last couple of weeks after a hot spell which probably improved your fuel consumption a lot,  cold weather can easily knock 5mpg + off
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »
I suppose the theory that extra weight is to be avoided comes from various fuel saving tips that are about and it's true that it is often recommended that you minimise the extra weight you carry around.

Well - yes - but only as part, and a small part at that, of a programme of measures such as keeping your speed down, avoiding harsh acceleration and braking and so on.

As Culzean points out, temperatures have dipped quite a bit of late and I've found my mpg always dips a bit when this happens.

Tags:

anything