Author Topic: Thoughts on 2014 1.4 i-VTEC EXL CVT with panoramic roof.  (Read 3978 times)

Jamrock

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Thoughts on 2014 1.4 i-VTEC EXL CVT with panoramic roof.
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
Hello

I'm thinking about getting a 2014 1.4 i-VTEC EXL CVT to replace my 2008 Jazz (which was brilliant, but has sadly been written off).

From what i understand, most Jazz's are great cars, but just wondering if anybody has had any experience (good or bad) with this particular model.

Also, i'm a bit concerned about the panoramic roof - it looks really good (and i'd love to own it) but i'm concerned about a couple of points. If anybody knows anything about this it would be greatly appreciated:
Is it possible to mount a roof rack / roof box to roof like this.
Is this susceptible to shattering in the event of a collision.
Does the roof give adequate protection in the event of the car rolling?

Thanks

Lee

PS - given the age of the car, i think that this is a MKII. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

guest4871

Re: Thoughts on 2014 1.4 i-VTEC EXL CVT with panoramic roof.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
I can't speak for what happens to the glass roof if you have a collision as I have not had one yet, nor whether you can fix a roof rack and I haven't yet rolled the car yet - but I can assure you one hundred percent, having owned that exact model for 6 years, that you will not buy a better Jazz. To date, it has been absolutely faultless.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
The Jazz EX with CVT is apopular spec model, the glass roof is a part way add on , almost a sunroof without fresh air just alot of sun, in the rain another matter.
You should not try to use a roof rack roof box.
The EXL has leather seats door panels OK if the heaters are working but not to everyones taste.

With any used vehicle around 7yrs its all about the condition and the se4vice history look at the invoices etc.
First off check HPI / Experian for loans & damage, then govwebsite for MOT history.

Drive the Jazz you'll be converted this model has amore relaxed gate on M ways 2krpm at legal limit. Hope you find its right for you , good luck.
Oh any bargain hard if you have no p/ex, plus ask for full tank fuel before it goes up on the 11th....

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »
The glass roof should not be compared with a sunroof.

In summer, close the blind or you will roast; in winter keep it open and have a bright light interior. Think of it more as a moon roof.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
My daughter has this model of Jazz, and had no problems. The only thing I would mention is check out the tyre prices as the 16" tyres are bit more expensive than the usual 15" equivalent.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
If you are concerned try ES-Plus. Pretty much same spec but no panoramic roof and leather. Personally I go for EX-L! You only live once and why not enjoy it! Good luck!

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »
Not sure if anyone can really answer your questions about the safety of the panoramic glass roof in the case of a collision or rolled car.  Aren't those part of the NCAP crash tests (at least the collision), so perhaps do a search for that to see if that EXL model is tested?
Btu from my personal experience of having the Jazz 2013 1.5L EX with glass roof, it's lovely to experience so much daylight from it.  As mentioned by another person, you'll need the inside cover deployed to prevent the car being roasted in blazing sunlight during summer, but thats a minor thing you'll get used to.  I wouldn't change it for the world.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 05:59:05 AM »
I have a 2012 model with a glass roof.   I find that as a driver, the amount of light the roof allows to enter is welcome, but the main benefit is gained when I carry passengers in the rear seats as they have both the light and view of the sky.

As I rarely carry rear seat passengers, I personally find the roof of minimal use.   If I have a choice in the future between having a glass panoramic roof or a standard sunroof, I'd have the standard opening sunroof every time.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
I found on my Mk2 EX the panoramic roof was a "nice to have" but, in reality, I didn't use it that often - I just forgot about it so it was closed most of the time. Like beaver I would have preferred an opening sun roof.

I haven't missed it on the Mk3.

Pete Marsh

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 petrol auto I-VTEC EX CVT 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 03:10:22 PM »
Mine has one, but I hardly ever use it, so it would barely make my 'nice to have' list for my next car.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
Other half's Jazz has the glass roof, she doesn't like the sun from the top so always keeps the blind shut. Complete waste for us, and as above, I wouldn't bother again.

I think that the Jazz roof glass is laminated, so at least you won't get showered with glass if it breaks.

The biggest problem with panoramic roof glass is that insurers do not cover it under the glass policy, any replacement means a full claim.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:06 PM »
I have had three cars with standard sunroofs and I seldom opened them at all. I found that opening the sunroof on a sunny day is too hot, and without a cap I get my napper burnt. I also don't particularly like the roof shut and the blind open. On a really hot day, even with the air con on I would sometimes tilt the roof but again I would keep the blind closed. What I did like about the Cavalier was when you locked the car the windows and sunroof all closed automatically

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »
What I did like about the Cavalier was when you locked the car the windows and sunroof all closed automatically

Vauxhall were always pretty good with the small details, my old Calibra did the same. Other car now is also a Vaux, you can choose all the total closure options in the menus - but no sunroof at all.

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 07:54:03 AM »
Lots of negatives so maybe a voice in the wilderness but we have the EX with the glass roof and it's a genuinely rare occasion when the blind is shut.

Absolutely love the feeling of light and space, as do the grandchildren but maybe it's a reflection of our preferred mode of motoring?

Our other cars are Mk1 Mazda MX5's.  :D

Tags:

anything