Author Topic: CVT test drive  (Read 1018 times)

MattTheDrummer

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK1 2008
CVT test drive
« on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
Hello fellow Jazzers,

First post!

Due to some idiot writing off our current MK1 Jazz (2008, manual box)  >:( we are now looking at spending the insurance payout on a MK2  :D

I drove a CVT hire car (Nissan) on holiday in Florida and liked it, so I fancy test-driving a Jazz CVT.

Am I correct in thinking that Jazz CVT's from 2009 are more reliable?

How do you test-drive a Jazz CVT?  What noises/characteristics are present in a good/bad box?

Many thanks!
Matthew

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: CVT test drive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »
Just drive.

Drive slow check up and down changes.

Also drive quickly. Full throttle changes.
Use the flappy paddles.

Check the last time the fluid was changed.

I think it is every 2 years or 25K miles.
Check full service history. MOT history as well

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Hello fellow Jazzers,

First post!

Due to some idiot writing off our current MK1 Jazz (2008, manual box)  >:( we are now looking at spending the insurance payout on a MK2  :D

I drove a CVT hire car (Nissan) on holiday in Florida and liked it, so I fancy test-driving a Jazz CVT.

Am I correct in thinking that Jazz CVT's from 2009 are more reliable?

How do you test-drive a Jazz CVT?  What noises/characteristics are present in a good/bad box?

Many thanks!
Matthew

The CVT from 2011 is more relable. The automated gearbox 2009-11 is pants but some like it..

Test drive. It will be in Park to start.
Move lever to Drive. There should be no bumps or thumps but if on the flat and handbrake off it should creep forward - very slowly.
Move Lever to Reverse. NO B and Ts . May not creep.

Then start driving.

Gearchanges should be imperceptible. There should be no sounds from teh tansmission- no whines- and it should be utterly smooth.
When warmed up try flooring the accelaerator at 30mph.  It should change down and enegiine revs rise within 2 seconds or so. A long delay/refusal to change down = bad news.
At 60mph when cruising you should see approx 2200 rpm.. in 7th gear ...

Try reversing up a slight hill.. There should be NO odd noises and it should move easily...

Any bumps, thumps whines or odd noises? Runaway.

It should have oil changes to teh CVT every two years or 25k miles. The dipstick is to the right when you are looking in, low down. Pull it out with rubber cover...the oil should NOT be brown or smell burnt. If it is runaway.

Basically unless you kickdown or drive hard up a hill , you should not notice any gearchanges..

When slowly down at lights, below 10mph you may notice a very slight jolt as it changes down from 2nd to 1st...Normal...

HTH

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
Hi,
The slight jolt you feel when coming to a halt is the torque converter unlocking, it also gives the impression that you suddenly are going faster. When pulling away if you wait for a split second before pressing the throttle you will feel the drive engage and then you can pull away smoothly. Mine is a 2011 with the torque converter, previous models had a different gearbox which was not popular and prior to that there was a CVT gearbox without the torque converter. Personally I like the gearbox, I had a loan car recently which was a 6 speed manual but I preferred  mine,
Chris

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
It should have oil changes to teh CVT every two years or 25k miles. The dipstick is to the right when you are looking in, low down. Pull it out with rubber cover...the oil should NOT be brown or smell burnt. If it is runaway.
I would add that Honda changed the recommended CVT fluid change interval from 4 years/50k miles to 2 years/25k miles in about 2013 after CVT judder problems occurred on older Mk. 1 CVT Jazzes. The vehicle's handbook might show the old CVT fluid change schedule. If there isn't a good record of adequate CVT fluid changing then demand that it should be done as part of a deal. Some forum members have also used some additive (I can't remember the name) to fix the judder problem (which is caused by too much crud accumulating in the gearbox).

I would also note that mention of gears is potentially confusing since the gearbox is step-less but Honda felt that drivers would be happier if the CVT operation pretended to have steps.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
Not sure what year Honda went with a torque converter but the earlier models had known issues with the start-up clutch. They should be filled with the Honda oil because of the additive package. Shudder may result while taking off up to 20 mph.

The most important thing about buying a car/an automatic is the car's history, driven by an old lady/man or a pizza delivery man with a lead foot. :)

Tags:

anything