Author Topic: Had an accident, car written off  (Read 1153 times)

Mo_1986

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz 1.4 EX
Had an accident, car written off
« on: December 21, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
2 months back my wife was driving the Jazz and a S8 hit her from behind while she was stationery.
The damage doesn't seem that bad and hopefully the bootlid and bumper is repairable and doesn't need replacing, but insurance have written the car off.
The parking sensors don't work though and when you engage reverse theres a long beep.  Is there a way to reset this, or do they need replacing?

Heres a pic of the damage;

Mo_1986

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Had an accident, car written off
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
Sorry but the picture is quite poor and doesn't really show just how much the dent has gone into the boot, the bumper also does have a crack in it.
Im sure a good body repair garage can sort this rather than buying second hand parts from a breaker.
All help will be much appreciated. ;)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
Check in Autotrader to see if the price given by the insurance company is reasonable. If not, give evidence for them to match market prices.  The problem of fixing your car is that will be become a CAT which might mean higher insurance premium. Plus you have to find a trusted body repairer to fix the damage. If you don't mind the hassle you could probably get some good parts from eBay in which case it will be good value.

Mo_1986

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:31 AM »
Already been paid out, got a decent price.
I think repairing it will be a lot cheaper then buying a bootlid and bumper especially in the colour of my car which is some sort of purple  :(
I just need to know what to do with the sensors.

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
Looks like deep sapphire blue metallic to me - but of course colours don't always display correctly in photos.

It also looks like one of the sensors has been pushed through the bumper and into the cavity behind it. Difficult to tell from the photo but if that IS the case it would account for a continuous signal.

Happened to a neighbours car and it took him all day to extract and reposition the sensor - but he wouldn't remove the bumper!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 09:18:01 AM »
I would say your sensors are the least of your problems. It could be a wire cut or just the sensor damaged. Or as someone else said, it could be seeing the inside of the bumper. Nothing that a good auto electrician could not put right with an hour of his time (plus parts if necessary).

Mo_1986

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
Hi, sorry the picture is quite bad.
The colour is deep violet pearl, the sensors on the face of it look intact none are out of place, the circle plastic piece thats broken I'm not too sure what that is.
I guess bumper off and checking the wires would be best bet, i was wondering if like my bmw if it was a case that the sensors just needed resetting.

Tags:

anything