Author Topic: Rubbing noise while braking downhill  (Read 4483 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Rubbing noise while braking downhill
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
My 64 reg makes a rubbing sort of noise only when braking from about 40mph and going down a fairly steep incline. Any ideas on what it might be?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Rubbing noise while braking downhill
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »
If you use the car little or are very gentle when braking your disks will corrode. Hard braking down hill will gradually remove it or force teh pads to contact an unswept area of the disk  ?

John A

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
Use the car just about daily and the discs are clean unfortunately.

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
Sticking piston in the caliper? Rear ones do stick. You do not say if it's front or rear and possibly only noticed below 40mph as the noise levels decrease. Just thoughts.

John A

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Sticking piston in the caliper? Rear ones do stick. You do not say if it's front or rear and possibly only noticed below 40mph as the noise levels decrease. Just thoughts.

Sorry, pretty certain that it's the rear, and the noise doesn't seem to occur if braking from below 40mph, but does occur when slowing down from 40mph ish. Recently had new discs as the old ones were corroded, but it's done a few thousand miles since then. Handbrake seems to work ok.

Done some fairly heavy braking from 60mph+ before and after the first time I had the noise, without hearing anything, so I'm even more confused!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
Could be caliper slide pins sticking and unequal pressure on pads,  I would have thought slide pins would have been checked if discs and pads done by a garage though (or maybe not according to some peoples stories on this forum).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
Been out for a drive aiming to track down the noise, and now I think that it's more likely to be the front brakes. Looking at the discs there's a slight lip on both the outer faces and I don't think that the whole disc is being equally swept by the pads. My current theory is that the discs might not be 100% true, which is why i hear it when lightly braking, and not when braking more heavily. Does this sound sensible?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »
Been out for a drive aiming to track down the noise, and now I think that it's more likely to be the front brakes. Looking at the discs there's a slight lip on both the outer faces and I don't think that the whole disc is being equally swept by the pads. My current theory is that the discs might not be 100% true, which is why i hear it when lightly braking, and not when braking more heavily. Does this sound sensible?

Could be the springy shims that locate over the 'ears' at each end of the pad are rubbing on the lip around the disc.

When were the front discs and pads last looked at ?   Sometimes the pads and discs can get glazed ( if the brakes are normally only lightly applied most of the time) which can cause problems,  brakes need to applied hard and heated up a bit every so often to help prevent glazing.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 04:35:45 PM »
The front brakes would have been last looked at the MOT it had back in November about 5000 miles ago.

Evert now and then I do brake hard, similarly take it up to 5000+ rpm.

I'll whip the wheels off in a couple of days time and have a look at the spring shims etc.

Tags: