Author Topic: Rubber burning smell  (Read 2861 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Re: Rubber burning smell
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
[
I bought the cheapest Ridex rear left caliper but now asked for a refund due to it's been faulty.
My mechanic friend said, though I released the handbrake the calliper is not returning or something. So, he put on the old one back again which was the original Honda until I get something else. Ive seen one on Ebay for £45 and thinking to get that one. Only god knows the quality and the reliability though it has a 2yr warranty.

with Autodoc, when I ordered that faulty caliper I thought i should order couple of accessories too from the website as it was less than a fiver since I was paying £8.50 for delivery. So, ive challed that to be refund too as the caliper was faulty,  but they said no because Ive also ordered couple of other things worth £3 as part of the order.
Lessons learnt.

quote author=bill888 link=topic=13051.msg98194#msg98194 date=1619167135]
( which is a brand new one for £45 from Auto Dr)

Would that be from AutoDoc.co.uk ?
I notice Autodoc offer a variety of non-OEM, as well as 'remanufactured' £100+ calipers from Bosch, Ferodo, Budweg etc.

Do you recall what brand of caliper you purchased?

I came across this video showing how to refurb Honda rear calipers
https://youtu.be/KqrOyDlbLvI
A bit more complex than simpler front calipers.

I fitted new Bremetch (Brakes International) front calipers after failing miserably 3 times to order a set of Pagid remanufactured calipers from carparts4less due to problems with their website.   Also fitted new Pagid discs and pads without too much trouble a few months ago. Only minor issue was with shims not fitting Pagid pads properly.

Still undecided what to about the rear calipers in long term.  Factory original rear brake parts are working fine despite age, so no hurry to change anything for the moment.
[/quote]

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
Ohh no, thats a hassle to keep a car in a garage until them calipers gets repaired....

With Big Red, yes.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »
. Ive seen one on Ebay for £45 and thinking to get that one. Only god knows the quality and the reliability though it has a 2yr warranty.

fwiw, another member UKjim fitted rear brake calipers a few months ago, bought from advantageautopartsltd ebay store.  Currently £48 each.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12753.0
No idea how they compare to Ridex calipers.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:07:14 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Tags:

anything