Author Topic: Poor fuel economy? *Please read this!* (the *definitive* poor fuel economy topic)  (Read 53812 times)

iSolder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK1 1.4 manual July 2004
My (professional) car mechanic assures me that they are set by hydraulic pressure. There is no manual adjustment on my (2004) 1.4L model. Forgive me if I choose to believe him.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Fine by me.

culzean

• Approved Member
They are adjusted automatically, hydraulically.
They are not adjusted automatically. The setting is part of regular servicing. They will tick when cold, but as the valve stems heat up and expand the should quieten down. If they don't then the clearance is too great (possibly only one valve), and should be adjusted.

+1.  no hydraulic adjustment on Honda tappets they are fixed by adjusting screws on tappet arms.  Strange thing is that the tappet gap on my motorbike is actually larger when hot than when cold,  this is caused by the aluminium of the cylinder head expanding more than the valve stem and moving the tappet pivot away from the top of valve stems. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
My (professional) car mechanic assures me that they are set by hydraulic pressure. There is no manual adjustment on my (2004) 1.4L model. Forgive me if I choose to believe him.

You can believe him if you wish, but he's quite wrong.

No hydraulic tappets on the I-DSi engine, as Culzean says, they are manual adjusters on the rocker arms.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
I have never ever had issues due to dirt build up in inlet manifolds of petrol cars. It's usually a sign of poor maintenance- dirty oil ,dirty filters and excessive oil mist injected into the manifold..Over a period of years..

If it was a diesel with an EGR.. then possibly due to lots of shoirt journeys..

Tags:

anything