Author Topic: How did we clean cars in the old days?  (Read 10617 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Re: How did we clean cars in the old days?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »
I may be OK ;D - every 2 weeks at most for my car washing. One of the more respected detailing websites, PolishedBliss, point out that excessive washing is as bad as no washing as your car is subject to more abrasion. They recommend no more than once a week.

Oh wow, wish I was motivated enough to clean my car like that :) My OCD oscillates more around maintenance and upkeep of moving, serviceable parts, corrosion prevention etc.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
Had they done away with convection cooling by then?
Yes and no. They fitted a water pump in 1953 but the tall radiator and steep angle of top hose were still evident.

I did away with the vacuum operated wipers and fitted a mini wiper motor using a Heath Robinson contraption. Removing the vacuum reservoir allowed me to fit the screenwash reservoir.

Paul22118

• Oggy
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz auto Dec 2009
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
My routine is simple.
Go round to the Albanians/Romanians who do a brilliant job of washing my Jazz.  First pressure rinsed, then using a mit they soap it all over, then rinse and finally spray with a wax type mixture and rinse down.  Dried with chamois leather. Vacuum out the inside and shine all the glass, clean the carpets and blacken the tyres.  £12, no effort from me and fifteen minutes of my retired day.  Sorted.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 11:46:45 AM »
That has been my routine for the past couple of years, but all the hand carwash places are closed here at this time.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »
My routine is simple.
Go round to the Albanians/Romanians who do a brilliant job of washing my Jazz.  First pressure rinsed, then using a mit they soap it all over, then rinse and finally spray with a wax type mixture and rinse down.  Dried with chamois leather. Vacuum out the inside and shine all the glass, clean the carpets and blacken the tyres.  £12, no effort from me and fifteen minutes of my retired day.  Sorted.

Whilst I still enjoy cleaning the car from time to time, there is nothing wrong with a decent hand car wash. I've had mine done at Tesco having watched them do cars. Jet wash at first, thorough soaping, thorough rinse and dry with a microfibre. They even have buckets to toss cloths in that they have dropped on the ground.

I treated myself once to the "Gold" valet. I had a £5 off voucher and the car was filthy after a trip to Scotland last year. I genuinely don't think I could have done a better job myself - even the air vents had been cleaned.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Which? has produced a guide on how to not wash a car https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/05/six-mistakes-to-avoid-when-washing-your-car/ .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything