Author Topic: Honda Reviews Future Model Plans  (Read 2651 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Reviews Future Model Plans
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Honda are reviewing their future model plans as the downturn in the world economy bites. The news comes after Honda put it's F1 team up for sale and canned the planned NSX replacement.

Casualties also include a replacement for the ten-year old S2000 roadster (which ends production this year), a planned open-top version of the CR-Z coupe and a selection of rear-wheel drive models and V8 engines aimed at the established German premium makers.

The future of the two Accord models  are also in doubt. For the last 15 years, Honda have produced two different Accords - one designed for North America  where the Accord is one of the top sellers, and a more up market version for the rest of the world.  Some countries get both types sold side-by-side in the showrooms - in Australia, the Accord we know is sold as the Accord Euro (actually the Japanese 'JDM' Accord, as the Swindon-built European version was killed off in 2002), and sits alongside the bread-and-butter US-model. In the US, our Accord is sold under the Lexus-chasing Acura brand. Under the plan, both Accords will be replaced with a single model, harking back to the early years of the Accord.

It's unfortunate that some of the more exciting models are being killed off. The S2000 will certainly be missed as it will signal the end of Honda's rear-wheel drive models. But replacing the JDM and US Accords with a single model is a wise move. After all, Ford are set to introduce in the US the same European models we're offered to replace the separate US-designed models (which interestingly, are based on either the Mk1 Focus or Mazda6!).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 05:06:03 PM by RichardA »

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Honda Reviews Future Model Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Not all bad news....The new Jazz (Fit) overtook the Toyota Corolla to become Japan’s best-selling car in 2008. Honda shifted 174,910 of the latest Jazz (on sale in Japan sine late 2007), compared with 144,051 Corolla’s sold by Toyota.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:58:33 PM by RichardA »

Tags: