Author Topic: Autonomous vehicles.  (Read 53637 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »
That was Stagecoach running its first driverless test, carrying passengers, over the Forth Road Bridge today. The test was successful and they plan to have the driverless bus service running in the spring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-64350096

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2023, 05:24:55 AM »
Very brave passengers, not for me.
Let's be careful out there !

guest9236

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »
Very brave passengers, not for me.

Not me either especially in an electric vehicle could be a warm journey!,

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »
I really don't see the point of this, except as part of a development trial (or a gimmick). The article says:
“When fully operational, each bus will have a driver monitoring the system alongside a bus captain who will help passengers with boarding and buying tickets.”
So it's not really fully autonomous, and they’ve replaced a driver-operated bus with something that requires two staff on board? Difficult to see any economic benefit in that once the government’s financial support runs out. And why do passengers require an additional person to help with boarding and buying tickets, on every other bus in the country that's the driver.
One of the articles linked from the main article suggests that the major benefit is expected to be improved safety ... so do Scottish buses have such a bad safety record that this is a better option rather than, say, improving driver training?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 09:44:21 AM by ColinB »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2023, 10:00:11 AM »
The best system that I have travelled on is the Las Vegas Monorail.  It opened in 1995 and as far as I know has had no fatalities. https://www.lvmonorail.com/

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2023, 10:37:09 AM »
The London DLR is also driverless. Just has an attendant to close the doors when safe.

The London Underground Victoria Line is also driverless in as much as it's computer controlled, and again, the 'driver' just opens and closes the doors.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2023, 12:22:17 PM »
When the full trial is operational. Obviously, at some point in the future, the plan is to do away with the driver and just have a conductor or conductress doing the tickets.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »
When the full trial is operational. Obviously, at some point in the future, the plan is to do away with the driver and just have a conductor or conductress doing the tickets.

This particular run seems to have been a trial (or pilot, or test). But the story clearly says that when it is "fully operational" (ie the trial phase is complete) it will be two-person operated. Removing the driver completely requires a change in the law which might happen eventually, but probably not before the subsidy funding for this particular operation runs out.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2023, 02:46:23 PM »
When it goes into operation in the spring that is still trialling the system. As you say, until the law is changed it will not be fully operational and I cannot see that in my lifetime. I drove for Stagecoach out of the depot involved and speaking to the people involved, the capacity of 10,000 per week is ridiculed. Yes, they could take that but it is a route with little demand but a simple road system.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2023, 01:39:02 PM »
So that is the Ford BlueCruise Level 2 technology approved for use on 2,300 miles (95%) of motorways in the UK. It is currently only available in the 2023 Ford electric Mustang Mach-E SUV and is available on a monthly subscription of £17.99. If you are involved in an accident the driver is still responsible as it is not autonomous driving, only hands-free. It basically just keeps you in your lane, maintaining a set speed and distance from the vehicle in front. It uses a system of cameras and sensors. It has been in use in the US and Canada since 2021 but is only now available (and legal) in the UK.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2023, 02:45:55 PM »
If I see one of those on the M4 I'll give it a wide berth

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2023, 12:03:36 PM »
There's an interesting and maybe amusing article about the more mundane day-to-day effects of autonomous vehicles in city traffic at:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/05/08/driverless-cars-crawl-the-streets-in-san-francisco-what-to-know/11762370002/

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2023, 02:54:21 PM »
It is currently only available in the 2023 Ford electric Mustang Mach-E SUV and is available on a monthly subscription of £17.99. If you are involved in an accident the driver is still responsible as it is not autonomous driving, only hands-free. It basically just keeps you in your lane, maintaining a set speed and distance from the vehicle in front. It uses a system of cameras and sensors. It has been in use in the US and Canada since 2021 but is only now available (and legal) in the UK.
£17.99 a month for what is basically ACC and lane keeping assistance , plus the ability to do without that   convenient hand rest known as a steering wheel?  Why? Will being able to rest your hands in your lap make it that much more comfortable.  Surely you wouldnt be doing other stuff like texting ,or eating lunch with a  knife and fork ?

The mk4 lets you do it for a few seconds  for free before objecting . Enough to know its not worth £215  a year and the increased chance of not being alert or even falling asleep.

I wonder if one day there will be three grades of  driving test and driving licence .  Manual, automatic, and 'supervisor of a self driving car'    I'm not sure  those of us who passed their test many years ago in a manual car  would necessarily be experts in self driving car supervision.  But better than a gismo baby licence holder trying to drive a 'proper' car.. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2023, 02:56:53 PM »
What happens if your subscription runs out when your asleep at the wheel on the motorway  ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2023, 03:17:32 PM »
What happens if your subscription runs out when your asleep at the wheel on the motorway  ;D
Or if your subscription runs out and they send a message to the car cancelling the function, while you are using it? 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything