Author Topic: Spanner in the 2035 works  (Read 1237 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Spanner in the 2035 works
« on: March 04, 2023, 01:54:39 PM »
Germany and Italy have thrown a planned European Union ban on new petrol and diesel cars into disarray as they seek exemptions to protect their powerful car industries.

EU diplomats have been forced to delay a key vote on the proposals, which would outlaw the manufacture of combustion engine cars across the bloc from 2035, following a last-minute revolt by the two countries.

The plans were agreed in principle last year and would prevent the sale of new cars unless they are "zero emissions". However, they still require final approval from member states.

Germany, along with allies, is seeking an exemption for cars running on so-called e-fuels, such as kerosene made from waste, which are being developed by some manufacturers.

It has forced EU officials to delay a vote that was due to happen on Tuesday.

The laws cannot pass without Berlin's backing and have led to a split within Chancellor Olaf Scholz's coalition government, with his FDP partners agitating for the EU's plans to be loosened.
Let's be careful out there !

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Spanner in the 2035 works
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 05:58:20 PM »
To quote Windsor Davies: "Oh dear, what a pity, never mind"

guest9236

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 08:41:24 AM »
Sounds like very sensible good news I t’s about time.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »
This something, in one form or another, I've long suspected :

"The laws cannot pass without Berlin's backing"
Let's be careful out there !

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 11:05:54 AM »
Well how else was Germany going to dominate Europe.
They lost 2 wars trying and then got the French to help, third time lucky.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 11:43:56 AM »
 EV's are a great idea, and to be encouraged. In theory.   But I think some of the  enthusiastm is beginning to give way to reality.  Not all of Europe is as well served with charging points as say the Netherlands,  and certainly not  the whole of the world.   And providing this charging infrastructure with enough clean, eco friendly electricity is easier said than done, and not always as eco friendly as first thought.  Or making  EV batteries in quantity.   

Its unfair to make it political, or nationalistic by saying  the big car producing countries  are dictating to the others. Or the car companies have a financial interest and control their own  governments policy, and therefore the  wishes and aspirations of citizens in their own and other countries. Get real . Of course they do.   

Much as we may need to change   the current timetable might be unrealisticly optimistic.  The car industry may realise this, and it cant all be dismissed as commercial greed and world domination. (or can it  :-\ )
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »
Don't get too excited. Now that we've Taken Back Control (cough), there's no reason why the UK should follow any lead set by the EU. In fact the zealots would probably argue the UK should stick to the current plan, no matter how impractical, just to demonstrate "sovereignty".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 10:28:31 PM »
I recall that when the ambitious targets were set for phasing out new IC vehicles it was expected that battery prices would keep dropping. In reality this isn't happening as increasing demand for the battery ingredients is keeping prices high. There's a place for full hybrids in the mix as they provide improved energy efficiency while making a much smaller demand on battery supplied. Otherwise the high cost of EVs will reduce the number of sales of new vehicles and effectively keep more old and inefficient vehicles on the roads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: