Author Topic: Poor visibility, no lights  (Read 4026 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Poor visibility, no lights
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 07:49:41 AM »
Yes. When I climb in mine, in daylight hours, but in the darker garage, as soon as I powerup the dipped beam and tail lights come on due to the dash top sensor deciding I need front and rear lights.

I can then use the spring loaded twist switch to turn them fully off. But, as soon as I select drive they come on again.

Scenario 2 is the dipped lights come on as before but I don't turn them off and electrically open the garage door. As soon as the brighter light is detected the dipped beam changes to DRL.

Hope that makes sense.

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying, ie in auto mode the headlights & position lights come on when the sensor detects they need to be on (and they’ll be turned off when not needed), and that’s exactly the same as the Mk3. But yet there seems to be a belief in some quarters that they are on all the time.

Back to this question:
Double checking: On the MK4 Jazz, is it possible to be driving in poor visibility conditions with only the Daytime Driving, (front) Lights on?
The answer is yes, it is possible if the wipers aren’t operating (or if you’ve turned off that linkage) and if the light level is strong enough not to trigger the sensor (as it might be in mist or fog). I suspect that’s no different on other marques, so reliance on “the computer always turns the lights on” is likely to be a reason you see modern cars with only DRLs in poor conditions. Older cars without the automation will still rely on the driver having his/her brain switched on, which is not always the case. 

Regarding this:
... many modern cars had front driving lights on only. ... I'm pretty sure that most drivers had no idea they had no rearlight when the little telltale in the dashboard is lit.
The dashboard telltale will come on when the headlights &/or position lights, and taillights, are on, not when the car is only showing DRLs.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 08:33:51 AM »
On my 9G Civic I could manual select 'DRL only' when I thought it was bright enough not to need dipped beam and tail lights.

Not so on the 4, you can select sidelights / tail lights but that turns off DRL which is risky with todays drivers.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 09:33:47 AM »
Sorry if I'm being thick: On the MK4 Jazz is there a scenario where the car has lights only at the front?
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 09:43:55 AM »
DRL, that's it.

But if the sensor thinks you should be on dipped beam then tail lights it is.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »
Fortunately, as drivers, we're allowed to use common sense and turn on our own headlights when light, visibility and road conditions merit it!   I usually leave the switch on Auto, but regularly select headlights if I deem it necessary.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »
When I climb in mine, in daylight hours, but in the darker garage, as soon as I powerup the dipped beam and tail lights come on due to the dash top sensor deciding I need front and rear lights.

I can then use the spring loaded twist switch to turn them fully off. But, as soon as I select drive they come on again.

Scenario 2 is the dipped lights come on as before but I don't turn them off and electrically open the garage door. As soon as the brighter light is detected the dipped beam changes to DRL.

Hope that makes sense.

Our Jazz acts accordingly and says: Yes! That makes sense.  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:44:24 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 10:23:10 AM »
Not always, I'll think you'll remember this.

Hardly dark but my headlights were forced on :

At the time I was the only car on the road with dipped beam blazing away.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 04:42:13 PM »
How can I cruise around at night with no lights?   And  during  quiet EV mode the engine might suddenly start itself.  Looks like I will have to give up my two part time jobs, Night poacher and burglar. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2023, 03:47:27 AM »
I was thinking about this thread the other day.

In auto mode the sensor decides whether you are displaying DRL or dipped beam
You can override this to sidelights or main beam or permanent dipped beam

At the rear the sensor decides whether the tail lights are on or off, you have no choice.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »
At the rear the sensor decides whether the tail lights are on or off, you have no choice.

You can't switch the rear lights independently, but you can choose to have them on if you want. Taillight operation is linked to the front lights. So the taillights will come on automatically when the position lights (aka sidelights) or headlamps come on. If you want rear lights and the sensor hasn’t kicked in to turn them all on automatically (the dashboard telltale isn’t lit) you turn both front and tail lights on manually by rotating the switch on the end of the stalk.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:07:40 AM by ColinB »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 10:10:08 AM »
This thread has now gravitated to the newer Jazz. Many cars with DLRs do not have auto lights, or have the facility to switch the auto off. These are often the culprits. They have DLRs to the front and nothing to the rear often in fog and sometimes even after dark in town.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2023, 10:38:51 AM »
This thread has now gravitated to the newer Jazz. Many cars with DLRs do not have auto lights, or have the facility to switch the auto off. These are often the culprits. They have DLRs to the front and nothing to the rear often in fog and sometimes even after dark in town.
Exactly. I'm sure most of those drivers are not aware of having no rear lights.
Neil Ives

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 01:06:19 PM »
Exactly. I'm sure most of those drivers are not aware of having no rear lights.

Which is why I said ...
... reliance on “the computer always turns the lights on” is likely to be a reason you see modern cars with only DRLs in poor conditions. Older cars without the automation will still rely on the driver having his/her brain switched on, which is not always the case. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
In the old days you knew your lights were off because the Smiths dials were dark.

Or if you had a Rover 2000 the little protruding plastic lenses wern't illuminated.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 01:17:54 PM »
In the old days you knew your lights were off because the Smiths dials were dark.

Or if you had a Rover 2000 the little protruding plastic lenses wern't illuminated.

Which is why manufacturers thoughtfully provide an indicator on the dashboard that lights up when your lights are on. But hey, who even knows what those funny little symbols mean.

Tags:

anything