Author Topic: I wonder if these things will ever catch on?  (Read 2407 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: I wonder if these things will ever catch on?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 12:32:45 PM »
Ah yes, the dear old Lucas bullet connector. Usually seen as a bright green crusty lump with wires coming out each end.

In the industry when doing development work on engine management systems it was always necessary to have the electrical system exactly correct (thinking when we used current production cars or "mules" for future powertrain development). One main principle is to have a common "earthing" point where all critical negative wires will come together at one point to ensure a consistent ground voltage. You never rely on bodywork to return current to "ground" like in the good old days, far too unreliable.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »
Back in the day, cars had a 10 year life before the scrap heap beckoned. These days I see 15 year old + examples for sale that look almost new.
I always remember an interview with Lord Stokes, the then head of BLMC and it was put to him that cars rusted away after 10 years but engines went on so much longer. His reply was they were looking at ways of making the engines wear out sooner! No wonder the Japanese took over. Mind you, a friend of mine bought a brand new Datsun 120Y.

Three years and 12,000 miles later it failed its first MOT for massive rust. He spent a fortune getting it repaired only to scrap it at its second MOT.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »
Mind you, a friend of mine bought a brand new Datsun 120Y.

Three years and 12,000 miles later it failed its first MOT for massive rust. He spent a fortune getting it repaired only to scrap it at its second MOT.

Super looking car though, even now. Like a pound shop Bullitt car (Mustang?).

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 08:21:26 PM »
Back in the day, cars had a 10 year life before the scrap heap beckoned. These days I see 15 year old + examples for sale that look almost new.
I always remember an interview with Lord Stokes, the then head of BLMC and it was put to him that cars rusted away after 10 years but engines went on so much longer. His reply was they were looking at ways of making the engines wear out sooner! No wonder the Japanese took over. Mind you, a friend of mine bought a brand new Datsun 120Y.

Wasn't there stories back in the late 90s of these being pinched and exported to Africa?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 10:02:28 PM »
There could not have been many of them left by then. They were only made up until 77 and rust must have decimated them by the mid-80s.

Tags:

anything