Author Topic: Jazz 2010 iShift gears (A1 and R) flashing when switching from Neutral  (Read 2155 times)

handyb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2010
Hello

I've got an issue with my 2010 iShift Jazz, when I'm switching in from neutral to 1st or reverse I got them A1 and R flashing like if I'm not pressing the brake (which I am). Once the gear kicks in everything seems to be running smoothly. Just can't go into neutral once I'm driving as it usually doesn't want to switch back into gear or reverse.

It all started going bad couple of weeks ago while on harsh braking check VSA system warning popped up on the dash, it disappeared after restarting the engine. It makes me think there's something off going on with that brake.

I've done some browsing and from what I found it can be gear actuator or brake switch? Any clues?

Has anyone had similar issue, being unable to go into 1st or reverse from neutral? If so what was the solution?

Thank you.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Hello

I've got an issue with my 2010 iShift Jazz, when I'm switching in from neutral to 1st or reverse I got them A1 and R flashing like if I'm not pressing the brake (which I am). Once the gear kicks in everything seems to be running smoothly. Just can't go into neutral once I'm driving as it usually doesn't want to switch back into gear or reverse.

It all started going bad couple of weeks ago while on harsh braking check VSA system warning popped up on the dash, it disappeared after restarting the engine. It makes me think there's something off going on with that brake.

I've done some browsing and from what I found it can be gear actuator or brake switch? Any clues?

Has anyone had similar issue, being unable to go into 1st or reverse from neutral? If so what was the solution?

Thank you.

Sorry to hear this... unfortunately the I-shift isn't Honda's finest hour! I experienced this back in February. Please look through the past postings but a mechanic call Daniel should be able to assist with reasonable price. He is quite busy but if you can tow the car to him via your breakdown company then he can do it quicker. It seems to be your geat actuator. Good luck!

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12410.0
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:05:31 PM by 123Drive! »

handyb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Hi,

Turned out it was only a brake switch not working properly, got genuine one from amazon for about 30 quid. Quite cheap, but local garage also said there's a fault stating that computer can't figure out where the biting point is on a clutch, which is a bit concerning, but at least gears are back to normal.

Thank you for the reply, hopefully actuator is going to be fine.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
So the clutch needs relearning. Apparently this can be done at your local Honda Dealer...and it's not so expensive.

When this happened, did both fwd and reverse gear didn't engaged?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
The reputation these automated manuals have for being unreliable are a bit undeserved. They do occasionally need a bit of minor maintenance, and that's where the problems start - many garages don't really know what to do with them, and that can include some main dealer workshops.

Any problem, first port of call is a proper diagnostic tool for the car. As said above, most common issue is the clutch biting point out of calibration.

handyb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member

Either first or reverse wasn't engaging randomly at first for like three weeks, then at some point I went into neutral on a junction and was unable to go into any gear for few minutes. Had to push the car off junction, got a bit stressed. Then it started to work alright next day but replaced the switch anyway.

I'll book the car at local dealership about clutch recalibration. Thank you for the advice.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:53:28 AM by handyb »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
FYI Daniel is currently/temporarily out of action.

I'll post back when he tells us, on Civinfo, when he's back.

Last post : https://www.civinfo.com/threads/civic-and-jazz-i-shift-ishift-actuator-clutch-system-repair-at-your-home-address.306297/page-23
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
The clutch calibration thing is interesting. I don't have any experience with the Jazz i-shift but I have a Honda DCT bike, which appears to use quite similar technology and I suspect borrows system architecture.

The bike DCT (dual clutch transmission, one clutch for 1,3,5 and the other for 2,4,6 gear ratios) has a very simple clutch initialisation procedure, basically you press shift buttons when turning on ignition then a sequence (DDNDN) and it goes into initialisation mode, you start the engine and it does a procedure where it "learns" the oil pressures for clutch actuation to give the right bite points. It has to be up to temperature to do the procedure, if low it displays "L" and you have to warm it up more. It uses oil pressure to make the clutch grip rather than to release it, there are very light springs in the clutches which separate the plates.
I usually do it shortly after an oil change, allowing maybe 100mls or so for the new oil to stabilise. It takes literally a minute. A lot of non-Honda service technicians are not aware of the procedure but it can sort out a lot of driveability issues with pulling away or trickling in traffic, abrupt gear shift quality etc.

I would suspect there's a similar simple procedure for the i-shift, but maybe it needs a plug-in service tool?

123Drive!

• Approved Member

Either first or reverse wasn't engaging randomly at first for like three weeks, then at some point I went into neutral on a junction and was unable to go into any gear for few minutes. Had to push the car off junction, got a bit stressed. Then it started to work alright next day but replaced the switch anyway.

I'll book the car at local dealership about clutch recalibration. Thank you for the advice.

Good luck and please update us soon!

handyb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member

Last post : https://www.civinfo.com/threads/civic-and-jazz-i-shift-ishift-actuator-clutch-system-repair-at-your-home-address.306297/page-23

Hello

Is this gentelman fixing ishift actuators still out of action? Anybody knows?

Unfortunately diagnostics at honda showed P0810 error code, which means actuator is failing. Looks like bad luck after all. New unit is almost 2k, crazy.

Actually, has anyone ever used service like that https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281884436134?hash=item41a19f26a6:g:sGQAAOSwmudZ-j-K ?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:15:02 PM by handyb »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Looking on Google Maps it is a bonafide business in an industrial unit.

123Drive!

• Approved Member

Hello

Is this gentelman fixing ishift actuators still out of action? Anybody knows?

Unfortunately diagnostics at honda showed P0810 error code, which means actuator is failing. Looks like bad luck after all. New unit is almost 2k, crazy.

Actually, has anyone ever used service like that https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281884436134?hash=item41a19f26a6:g:sGQAAOSwmudZ-j-K ?
[/quot

I found this on YouTube and did speak to this garage but then Daniel called me back and he was also cheaper. But may be it's an option. He is based in  West Harrow.

YouTube
P0810 P0909 I-SHIFT semi auto gearbox HONDA jazz civic ...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:34:15 AM by 123Drive! »

Tags: