Author Topic: ABS light has started to stay on.  (Read 10428 times)

vincereynard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Milano Red 1.4 DSi SE
ABS light has started to stay on.
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
WIthin the last few days the ABS light has stayed on upon starting and a strange "popping" noise can be heard from the front Drivers wheel.   I've  taken the wheel off and can see no obvious cause. (Pads OK etc).

After a few seconds the "popping" gives up and is silent but the light stays on and, recent rain has shown, the ABS does not operate.

Any ideas?  A defective sensor?  ECU? 

Cheers Vince

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: ABS light has started to stay on.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
Sounds like a dirty or failed sensor, sensor cable or maybe sensor just not close enough to magnetic reluctor ring to feed back pulses - this lack of pulses may fool ABS into pulsing that brake on and off until it gives up and reports a fault to system.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:25:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Sounds like a dirty or failed sensor, sensor cable or maybe sensor just not close enough to magnetic reluctor ring to feed back pulses - this lack of pulses may fool ABS into pulsing that brake on and off until it gives up and reports a fault to system.

Thanks for that. Any head up as to what the sensor looks like / availability would be appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
They are a tube on a wire. Watch the prices though. I have seen them selling for £25 to £400!! That's the internet for you.

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:52:45 PM »
This one -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322310431995

I take it it does not have one on the left?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »
That's one I saw. It has one on each wheel, but whether they are both the same or different I do not know. Front and rear seem to be different.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
You can test wheel sensors with a multimeter.
Disconnect the cable to the sensor at the in car joint (follow the wiring ).. and read the resistance on the sensor wires.

Infinity  = open circuit = broken wire.
Zero = short.
Normal = c 1.5K ohm (IIRC).

Usually passenger side front goes - water/grit

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
You can test wheel sensors with a multimeter.
Disconnect the cable to the sensor at the in car joint (follow the wiring ).. and read the resistance on the sensor wires.

Infinity  = open circuit = broken wire.
Zero = short.
Normal = c 1.5K ohm (IIRC).

Usually passenger side front goes - water/grit

Thanks that is certainly worth a try.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
If they are the shove in type which I'm presuming they are. Theres a certain distance they need to be from the cv joint Sometimes they get knocked and are that tiny bit too far from joint. To be honest abs faults can be a right pain to solve.
Hope you get yours sorted, let us know the outcome.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:32:05 PM by degzi »

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
If they are the shove in type which I'm presuming they are. Theres a certain distance they need to be from the cv joint Sometimes they get knocked and are that tiny bit too far from joint. To be honest abs faults can be a right pain to solve.
Hope you get yours sorted, let us know the outcome.

Any idea how far in they should be?  The green emissions light is on now as well!  I suppose it may have felt left out!

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »
If you go to  a dealer with this sort of thing it can work out very expensive.  They like to replace things.

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
If you go to  a dealer with this sort of thing it can work out very expensive.  They like to replace things.

Not a chance. I know their style.  In top condition it is worth maybe £1000.  It was a family car from new and has gravitated down to being
 No 2 son's car and he is not inclined  to give a garage an open cheque.   It could be a money pit!

We will check out the sensors as kindly mentioned above.

Cheers.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
As you can see from this picture of the sensor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FRONT-LEFT-ABS-SENSOR-FOR-HONDA-JAZZ-II-2004-CITY-2006-GH-702618V-/222384925042?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AJazz%7CCars+Year%3A2006&hash=item33c72ca972:g:Q~UAAOSwNnRYg5BF it is a fixed length through from the bracket.
Unless you have one which has broken from its mounting, it should be at the correct distance. Check against the other side.

guest5079

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »
 Being one who was ignorant of modern ABS systems, I suggested to a member, when they had a similar problem to clean the reluctor ring on the constant velocity joint or rear wheel bearing as 'crud' thank you Culzezn for that lovely word  could interfere with the signal to the ABS sensor.
I now know that modern systems use a magnetic ring on the wheel bearing. HOWEVER, it seems that it is still possible for 'crud' to interfere with the signal, even with the magnetic ring.
I have done a good old Google and found an interesting pdf booklet re the subject of the magnetic ring and ABS. It goes a long way to explain the system.
https:/www.ntn_snr.com/sites/default/files/2017_04/sensors_brochure_en.pdf
If you want to try just (pdf wheel sensors_NTN SNR) on google it might just get there.
TRW make a magnetic ring tester. I believe about £20  Silly question has a wheel bearing been replaced recently? Hope you manage to sort the problem as these sorts of problem  are a worry.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
has a wheel bearing been replaced recently?

Funny you should say that. For older cars that may or not have ABS we sell two types of wheel bearings. The non ABS being cheaper.

Tags:

anything