Author Topic: Mk3 EX enquiry.  (Read 1827 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Mk3 EX enquiry.
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »
My ex pupil wants to get a 2016-2020 EX. However, we noticed some don't have satnav as standard. Its there a way of installing the sat nav onto this car? Or install an App like Waze? Please clarify as being a mk2 driver I m not so knowledgeable, lol!

Also, from 2016-2020, were there any major changes on the EX or was it facelifted?

Many thanks!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Mk3 EX enquiry.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:00:32 PM »
The easiest way to tell the face lifted model is to look at the rear of the car.
The early model has the larger "air vents" in the bumper. The MK3.2 are quiet a bit smaller.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 08:29:00 AM »
My ex pupil wants to get a 2016-2020 EX. However, we noticed some don't have satnav as standard. Its there a way of installing the sat nav onto this car? Or install an App like Waze?

You’re right, satnav is not standard in the Mk3. If you want it, you need to look for a car with “Navi” in the model name.
Honda have locked down the infotainment system such that it is very difficult to add anything to it. I’ve not seen any reports of anyone installing the OEM satnav, I can’t imagine Honda would make that easy when they can charge a premium for the Navi cars. Others have reported methods of installing Sygic, Waze, etc but it’s not straightforward and you have to disable safeguards that prevent you doing illegal things like displaying moving images whilst driving. In theory you can mirror a phone screen on the car’s screen but that doesn’t work either (best guess is that’s something to do with incompatible versions of the software). Frankly, it’s easier to just use a standalone satnav or a phone (Google maps is more up-to-date anyway).

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
My ex pupil wants to get a 2016-2020 EX. However, we noticed some don't have satnav as standard. Its there a way of installing the sat nav onto this car? Or install an App like Waze? Please clarify as being a mk2 driver I m not so knowledgeable, lol!

Also, from 2016-2020, were there any major changes on the EX or was it facelifted?

Many thanks!
MK3 Jazz can have satnav and DAB radio in SE and EX trims, you can disinguish them by the aerial,  standard for no satnav, shark-fin for satnav: even if the satnav aerial stays inside the cabin (it's a sort of button in the middle of the dash), the shark-fin contains the radio DAB. The no-satnav unit can get an android satnav app (see www.cmdroid.net) if the unit firmware is RC6.1 or lower (it can be downgraded, so every Jazz can install a satnav app), Waze, Sygic and Copilot work fine, no Gmaps,  OSmand so and so. Sygic and waze give also real time traffic infos.
I have an EX navi, and I have installed Sygic.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
Thanks for that! I read a non satnav can display your iphone on yhe the Honda Connect, by using iphone carplay. So in theory can Google Map/Waze be used from yhe the iphone and display on the screen?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
MK3 Jazz can have satnav and DAB radio in SE and EX trims, you can disinguish them by the aerial,  standard for no satnav, shark-fin for satnav
Not correct in UK. All UK-spec Jazz have shark-fin aerial, including mine; but you don't have on-board satnav unless you buy the Navi version of the car.
Thanks for that! I read a non satnav can display your iphone on yhe the Honda Connect, by using iphone carplay. So in theory can Google Map/Waze be used from yhe the iphone and display on the screen?
"In theory" ... yes. In practice, you need to get MirrorLink working and the number of people who have reported success with that is very low. As I said, the issue seems to be with incompatible versions of software between phone and car. At least, that's for Android, it'd be interesting to hear from anyone with an iPhone who's managed it.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
No Carplay and Android Auto for the MK3, only mirrorlink. As I can remember the unit of european  MK3 Jazz is different from the USA Honda Fit, so we cannot use our mobiles as americans do.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:41:44 AM »
Not correct in UK. All UK-spec Jazz have shark-fin aerial, including mine; but you don't have on-board satnav unless you buy the Navi version of the car.
Mmh that's strange.
"Rest of Europe" specs, at least for pre-restyling, say that only NAVI trims have the shark fin, that's because only NAVI had also the DAB radio.
Do UK spec Jazz all have the DAB?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »
My early 2016 Mk3 non-navi Jazz SE has DAB/FM radio and shark-fin aerial.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:38:26 PM »
Now it's even more confusing...lol!

Another ex pupil of mine said her Polo can link up her iphone so that she uses Waze. Shame the Jazz can't do this in the UK as simple as that.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
"Rest of Europe" specs, at least for pre-restyling, say that only NAVI trims have the shark fin, that's because only NAVI had also the DAB radio.
Do UK spec Jazz all have the DAB?

At the time I bought mine (late 2015) all three trim levels (S, SE, & EX) had DAB radios and the shark-fin antenna irrespective of whether they were Navi models. I haven't checked all the spec changes since then, but I doubt they've removed DAB. So, in the UK at least, you can't tell if any particular car is the Navi option just by looking at the antenna.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »
My 2019 Ex has the sharks fin and DAB, but no Navi.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »
I have installed Sygic.
I Just installed that for my phone. The first roundabout I came to it read a footpath as a road so tried to send me back the way I had just come. Otherwise, it seems quite good.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »
At the time I bought mine (late 2015) all three trim levels (S, SE, & EX) had DAB radios and the shark-fin antenna irrespective of whether they were Navi models. I haven't checked all the spec changes since then, but I doubt they've removed DAB. So, in the UK at least, you can't tell if any particular car is the Navi option just by looking at the antenna.
Ah ok, now it's clear, so UK Jazz have the shark fin because all of them have the DAB. In the rest of Europe, at least about the pre-restyling, DAB radio came only with the satnav, so only Jazz with satnav have the shark fin.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:15:39 PM by jazzaro »

Tags: