Author Topic: Should I idle my engine?  (Read 1646 times)

AlexS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR 2017.
Should I idle my engine?
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Hello I bought a car vacuum cleaner:
https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/products/car-care/car-hand-vacs/12v-dc-dustbuster-auto-car-vacuum/nvb12av

I have a HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR.

My question is how much battery will it use? If I have it on for 10 minutes should I idle my engine?

Paranoid about flat batteries!

Thx...
2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR - Orange Sunset II

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Should I idle my engine?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »
Is there a power rating on the cleaner? If it is, say 100W, then 10 minutes use would only consume about 0.02 kWh of power, which you battery should handle very easily.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 06:56:47 PM »
We had one of those, the verdict is they 'suck' (but not very hard )... much better if you can to drag  mains Hoover to the car - the 12volt B&D cleaner now gathering dust in the garage - which is more than it ever did when plugged in :)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »
I am of a similar persuasion, having had several "Car" vacuums. I now use the household Dyson.

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR 2017.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:41:37 AM »
So far I've found this Vax pretty good for clearing up every day dust and rubbish. More powerful than I expected. I will still borrow my mother's Dyson every six months.
2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR - Orange Sunset II

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 07:56:12 AM »
I find even the Dyson struggles with the small stones that always find their way into the footwell. I received a hearth brush and shovel in a mail-order error. I was told just to dispose of it, so I stuck it in the garage and use that to sweep out the stones first. Third world but effective.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 08:07:17 AM »
I'd be reluctant to idle for emissions and because I hate wasting fuel. Much less of an issue after a run with a warm engine than from cold. Cold idling isn't great for the engine either. Also it depends on how much you drive and whether the battery regularly gets a good charge. I've never had a problem using an air pump, I imagine the vac would use similar current and before I got new tyres I used it for around 10 minutes once a week. I shouldn't say it but perhaps you should suck it and see.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »
I've never had a problem using an air pump, I imagine the vac would use similar current and before I got new tyres I used it for around 10 minutes once a week. I shouldn't say it but perhaps you should suck it and see.
I am the same. They are both powered from the Aux power socket, so they will have similar consumption. Recently I have run the engine as my pump goes quicker, but for years I never bothered.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 02:13:58 PM »
I bought one of these for the garage. Very handy and works brilliantly for the price.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner-With-Blower-20L---1250W/p/215735

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »
I would need a 200-metre extension cable to reach my garage!

Tags: