Author Topic: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments  (Read 38193 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
Just been speaking to my local dealer and he tells me that the new batch of jazz's will be painted under the bonnet and inside the petrol filler cover. So if you have an early one I think you should see your dealer about getting the paint job 'finished'.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
im so happy i got the S A/C without all this extra "helpful" features and not the SE with stop start that came out later

guest3042

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Thanks for the excellent review. I currently own a Jazz Hybrid and one thing I like about it is the tight turning circle. Does anyone know if the new Jazz compares well with the Hybrid in this respect?

Thanks

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks for the excellent review. I currently own a Jazz Hybrid and one thing I like about it is the tight turning circle. Does anyone know if the new Jazz compares well with the Hybrid in this respect?
Honda's specs for the new SE state "Turning Circle - at Body (m) = 10.8" and for the hybrid Mk2 it's "Turning Circle - at Body (m) = 10.82" which means almost identical. I've not noticed any significant difference in this respect between the HS and the new SE.

Ona a different subbject, I spent an hour at my dealer yesterday and they now understand what my complaint about the auto headlights is, ie that there is no manual override for the auto system once the car is moving. They have now email Honda's technical department. They said that no one else has complained about the auto headlights to which I replied that maybe people hadn't noticed but, once they do, they will probably be annoyed. My position is that if I have a switch where "off" means off then I won't need to debate the merits of the logic behind the auto headlights.

Also, for the auto idle stop, if the car decides to not implement auto idle stop under circumstances when it should then it will show a symbol on the multi-function display for a few sectonds (so this is easily missed). I have briefly caught sight of the battery symbol which suggests that this auto system likes to have a very well charged battery. Honda have provided a 45Ah battery but perhaps they should have also provided a solar panel to help keep the battery topped up.

I was also shown that the entertainment system can connect to an Android 5 phone and mirror whatever is on the phone's screen. However, this stops the moment the handbrake is released so there's no chance of having a mapping app (or anything else running on the phone) being shown on the main screen while the car is in motion.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
Is it possible that this auto headlight function means that you cannot manually switch your headlights on in falling rain when it may not be dark enough for the auto function to operate?
If so then the system may be violating the construction and use regulations.

Vic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:33:14 PM by VicW »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
Is it possible that this auto headlight function means that you cannot manually switch your headlights in falling rain when it may not be dark enough for the auto function to operate?
If so then the system may be violating the construction and use regulations.
The auto headlights are triggered by a few raindrops even on a bright sunny day with several miles visibility although there seems to be a threshold period (maybe half a minute with some raindrops). And, once on, the headlights stay on for three or four minutes after the rain has stopped.

Also, manual control for turning lights on exists. The switch has four positions: Off, Auto, Side lights, Headlights. The problem is that the switch is spring loaded so it won't stay in off but reverts to the auto position. Turning the switch to off when the car is parked will turn the auto headlights off (by default the car puts the headlights on when it is unlocked in dark conditiions although this can be disabled) but the moment the car is put in gear the headlights will come on again if the system thinks the conditions are appropriate. I think I have found out one way to over-ride the auto headlights - set the switch to side lights! However, this turns off the DRLs so the front of the car will be less visible than with the DRLs (which are much, much, brighter than the side lights).

guest3042

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
John - Many thanks for your comprehensive reply to my turning circle query. Good to know.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
I had a chat with 'my' Honda salesman today about the headlight switching in both the new Jazz and HRV.
He said that you can disable the auto function once the car is started or the ignition switch is put in the 'run' position by selecting 'off' momentarily but that you have to do this every time.
Having done this you can select 'headlights' to put them on.
I don't like auto headlight switches and this would get right up my nose.

Vic.

guest5643

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »
Couple of things I would have liked,door mirror switches to be illuminated when lights are on,door mirrors auto retract when locking the vehicle,smaller front seat headrests,jack and wheelbrace provided,able to permanently disable auto stop/start,larger buttons on keyfob, the 1.5 ltr engine fitted to the HRV.     

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
He said that you can disable the auto function once the car is started or the ignition switch is put in the 'run' position by selecting 'off' momentarily but that you have to do this every time.
Having done this you can select 'headlights' to put them on.
My salesman also tried telling me these fixes but couldn't make them work on my car when I asked him to show me how it was done as I couldn't get it to work because what appeared to work when the car was stopped had no effect once it started to move. Ask your salesman to stop the car just outside the workshop, go through the steps to disable the auto headlights and then drive in. I was surprised that the headlights would want to come on in what was a well-illuminated workshop, but they did.

Couple of things I would have liked,door mirror switches to be illuminated when lights are on,door mirrors auto retract when locking the vehicle,smaller front seat headrests,jack and wheelbrace provided,able to permanently disable auto stop/start,larger buttons on keyfob, the 1.5 ltr engine fitted to the HRV.     
That's a long "couple" but they are all valid points. Auto folding mirrors (but subject to manual override) would be a useful feature but the logic would need to remember that if the mirrors were manually folded (eg before parking in a garage) then they would need to be manually unfolded. I think I had already commented on the small buttons on the key which could be challenging in winter with gloves on. There's no obvious need to have such small buttons.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2015, 08:57:43 PM »
,able to permanently disable auto stop/start... the 1.5 ltr engine fitted to the HRV.     

Stop/start has to default to on as it's part of emissions testing.  1.5L engine isn't likely for similar reasons - they need to keep the company average emissions down.

guest5643

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
,able to permanently disable auto stop/start... the 1.5 ltr engine fitted to the HRV.     

Stop/start has to default to on as it's part of emissions testing.  1.5L engine isn't likely for similar reasons - they need to keep the company average emissions down.
Honda install the 1.5 ltr engine for the American,Asian,Australian and New Zealand markets,would have been nice to have been given the option,both the 1.3 ltr and 1.5 ltr engines are available in New Zealand,pity that tiny Europe misses out because of crazy emission laws that VW are cheating to get their dirty polluting engines through emissions testing,do as I say,not as I do ;)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Just cleaned ours for the first time today. Must say it has a lot of nooks and crannies that are hard to dry and the 16inch wheels are particularly hard to clean with a sponge. 

guest5643

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Just cleaned ours for the first time today. Must say it has a lot of nooks and crannies that are hard to dry and the 16inch wheels are particularly hard to clean with a sponge.
The wheels on the ES aren't too bad to clean,I find using one of these a big help  http://www.wilko.com/car-cleaning/wilko-short-handle-car-wash-brush/invt/0258092

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
I managed to put over 36 litres into the tank today. The fuel gauge was on 3 bars (out of 20), the car said 46 miles remaining and there was no low fuel warning light. The most I ever put in the hybrid was 33.5 litres due to the car warning it was about to run out.

So, on my new Jazz the fuel gauge seems to be quite optimistic and the miles remaining a less conservative estimate than previously to the extent that I wouldn't want to be stuck in a big traffic jam with an almost empty tank (and auto idle stop sulking). What have others noticed? Based on miles and litres this refilling indicated 55.8 mpg while the car's computer claimed 61.7 mpg - the over-optimistic mpg reported by the computer hasn't changed.

Tags:

anything