Author Topic: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments  (Read 38193 times)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
Just tested this on our Jazz. With the ignition on or engine on and parked in a dark place the headlights come on. Move the headlight switch from auto to off and back and the headlights go off. Move the switch to off again and back turns them on again. So it looks like you can turn them off but will have to do it each time you start the car. It's possible your switch is not making contact when in the spring loaded position.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:22:39 PM by Paulwhitt20 »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Just tested this on our Jazz. With the ignition on or engine on and parked in a dark place the headlights come on. Move the headlight switch from auto to off and back and the headlights go off. Move the switch to off again and back turns them on again. So it looks like you can turn them off but will have to do it each time you start the car.
I've just been to test this and everything works as you describe when the car is stationary.

Can you watch out for what happens when you are driving along and go under a few trees? I will be trying to remember to give the switch a quick turn to off when I start the car. However, it doesn't appear that Honda didn't think this through properly. Sensibly they would have left the switch with a proper off position but, given what seems to be a toggle arrangement, there should be an auto light status indicator.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:05:42 PM »
It's my wife's car and she has not let me drive it yet but I have asked her to try and see what they do whilst the car is being driven. Does the green "lights on" led in the dash show what the lights are doing?

I don't know why Honda have designed the system like this it seems very complicated. My accord had auto lights and you could put them in off and they would stay off. On the accord the lights would not always come on when I wanted (ended up putting tape over the sensor so they were on all the time) and trying to remember to turn the auto lights off on the motorway as they would come on and go off when going under a bridge. Which can look like a headlamp flash.

Auto wipers are another auto feature that does not work as well as a human.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »
It seems to do the same in our car. You can switch the lights off when stationary but when you start moving again they come on. I suppose in the mind of the car you are being very noughty driving in what it thinks is the dark with the lights off. Some cars have the ability to change the sensitivity of the sensor but not this one it seems.

We have also turned off the lane departure warning as it was always going off on the country lanes etc.

Me thinks cars are trying to get too clever. The best safety device in a car is an alert driver. Perhaps car dealers should team up with the IAM and give free advanced driving lessons.

guest4871

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 08:26:11 PM »
Perhaps car dealers should team up with the IAM and give free advanced driving lessons.

+1

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
It seems to do the same in our car. You can switch the lights off when stationary but when you start moving again they come on. I suppose in the mind of the car you are being very noughty driving in what it thinks is the dark with the lights off. Some cars have the ability to change the sensitivity of the sensor but not this one it seems.

We have also turned off the lane departure warning as it was always going off on the country lanes etc.

Me thinks cars are trying to get too clever. The best safety device in a car is an alert driver. Perhaps car dealers should team up with the IAM and give free advanced driving lessons.

or perhaps they should take all this extra electronic stuff off the car and drop the price of the car

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »

or perhaps they should take all this extra electronic stuff off the car and drop the price of the car
Now this is the truest truth I've ever seen

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
I spent several hours yesterday behind the wheel and the auto lights defied all my efforts to get it under manual control. The lights also appeared to be triggered by a heavy shower but then stay on for several minutes after the rain has stopped. I think auto lights behaviour has to count as a defect and the dealer / Honda is going to have to fix it. Either by changing the switch or debugging the software.

Another related feature is that when the headlights come on, two lights come on on the dashboard. Left of the top of the speedo dial is a green light symbol with an A while right of the top of the speedo dial is the normal headlight symbol. Sensibly, the auto lights symbol should reflect whether the auto lights are enabled or disabled.

The lane change warning is best kept off unless doing motorway driving.

Some of these clever featurs and much of the Honda Connect system is also running the risk of getting into the chocolate teapot category. The base model of the Jazz may be a better choice for many but lacks the folding mirrors.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Do the headlights come on when the wipers are operated?

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
I don't know why Honda have designed the system like this it seems very complicated.

I wonder if there's some EU edict designed to make sure it's impossible to drive at night without lights on?  My issue with the old system during the daytime is if you did a couple of clicks from Off, you'd end with sidelights when you might have thought the headlights were on.  There was no indication inside the car of which lights were on (short of looking at the light switch, which isn't easy).

Mind you, for a while some Mercedes models didn't have an Off position at all. Just Auto, side, head. 

Auto wipers are another auto feature that does not work as well as a human.

I've had cars where it worked perfectly (several Peugeot models) so it can be done.  They didn't even have adjustable sensitivity and also had the feature that it cancelled after each journey - with Jazz the wipers would sometimes scrape across the screen on start-up if left on auto.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
The fuel gauge was down to 1/4 so I filled up the tank. 33.36 litres (somewhat less than 1/4) and 444 miles which calculates to 60.5 mpg of mainly A road driving with a significant fraction being in north Wales where the roads are neither straight or flat. This is close to what I was getting with the hybrid under similar driving conditions. The car's computer claimed 64.9 mpg which suggests that Honda haven't fixed that optimistic bias. I'll be more willing to get the fuel gauge closer to empty when somewhere with more opportunities to refill and see whether the gauge takes a rapid dive when below 1/4. The computer's miles remaining to empty seems to be much more sensitive to recent driving conditions than on the previous Jazz. After refuelling we went up a long hill and the miles remaining dropped to 387. Once down the other side it was at 587. 40 litres = 8.8 gallons = 528 miles at 60 mpg.

The auto idle stop remains unpredictable. I've made no progress with understanding the auto headlights but they seem to be slightly less likely to operate in overcast conditions than with sunshine and severe shadows. I don't think the lights are directly linked by the windscreen wiper behaviour but it's possible that the algorithm for the auto headlights gets and input from the rainfall sensor.
I've now driven round enough bends plus a small amount of motorway driving to say that I have no complaints about the steering, but I had no complaints about my previous Jazz in this respect.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:59:32 AM by John Ratsey »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
Home again (and just past 1,000 miles). I watched the headlight behaviour yesterday as we travelled through some showers in what were otherwise quite bright conditions. There's a lag of about a minute between the wipers starting to work and the headlights coming on and then a delay of 3 or 4 minutes between the wipers stopping working and the headlights going off. I've convinced myself that the software controlling the lights was written with very conservative rules for a car without DRLs (which might have had a proper 'off' setting on the switch) and no one thought to amend it to take account of the DRLs.

The auto idle stop almost behaved itself yesterday with the engine deciding to start itself after several minutes of stop-start traffic queuing for some traffic lights although, with only the fan running at its lowest setting and some music playing there couldn't have been much battery drain.

The new car seems to cruise along motorways with less effort than the HS hybrid - probably the result of improved aerodynamics and a bit less weight. However, I'll be more sure about this aspect when I encounter a strong headwind.

I have also mounted the camera close to the bottom left of the sensor unit and gets an acceptable view of the road (see photos). It's quite a compact camera (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F5WP990). The position means that the driver sees the bottom half of the camera below the mirror but it's not obtrusive.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:27:58 AM by John Ratsey »

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
May I ask you please,  how did you conceal the wires to your car cam.
I have a sat nav and am always iritated by wires dropping all over the place.
Sticking them to the dash with tape causes marks on the plastic wich are permanent.
Thank you.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »
May I ask you please,  how did you conceal the wires to your car cam.
I have a sat nav and am always iritated by wires dropping all over the place.
Sticking them to the dash with tape causes marks on the plastic wich are permanent.
Thank you.
At the moment the cable is held in place by some white foam double-sided tape because that is what I had available. However, I'm thinking of replacing it by some black tape which will be less obvious except on the door pillar. The current route for the cable is from the accessory socket, up the left side of the 7" screen, along the groove at the back edge of the cover for the front passenger air bag, around the door pillar to the side of the windscreen then around the edge (which has a black paint strip). How well the foam tape will work in the longer term remains to be seen -the glue is less effective under hot conditions. The sensible solution for the power supply would be to tap into the power which must be present in the sensor unit but it's too soon to be trying to pull the cover off.

I also attach a page from the latest Which? which includes a useful diagram about where the camera can, and cannot, be located on the windscreen. It seems that the camera shouldn't encroach more than 4cm into the wiped area (and not in front of the driver) so I may need to move it up slightly after putting enough muck onto the glass so that one pass of the wipers will define the boundaries.

On a different subject, I noticed the first paint chip on the bonnet. That orange paint is very thin! The little pot of touch-up paint is part of the agreed deal (along with mats, spare wheel and jack). The paint and the mats are due to reach the dealer in the next few days but there's no news about the wheel and jack).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 04:58:28 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I have all kinds of issues and I don't even have the car yet !!
I'm worried about fitting my space saver wheel, someone has said that there may be safety issues with loading and weights in the lower boot area, I thought I could just screw it in place and all would be well. Does the new car come equipped with a jack and wheel nut spanner?  If not I must take the ones I have with me when I make the change.
You seem very " switched on " about the carcam installation, obviously tapping into the power supply within the sensor box is the ideal solution. Knowing me and the way I do things I would have wires hanging around everywhere.
Please kindly let me know if you find a way of achieving this.
Thank you for your replies and patience with me. I'm a Zazz enthusiast " of a certain age ! ".

Tags:

anything