Author Topic: New Jazz SE CVT on order  (Read 13019 times)

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
New Jazz SE CVT on order
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »
I have ordered a Jazz SE CVT in Sunset Orange for delivery in September. I would have preferred to have driven one before ordering but  it is not clear when the 2016 Jazz will be in the showrooms. Going on the Mk1 CVT, Mk1 manual and the two off Mk2 Jazz ES models I have driven I do not expect any problems though. I am hoping that my Jazz will be available in the first half of September but it seems to depend on when Honda release cars for delivery to customers.

I am hoping the Jazz will come from Japan and not Mexico, I think I read somewhere that the Jazz for UK is coming from Japan and the HRV from Mexico.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:29:23 AM by csp »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: New Jazz SE CVT on order
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
Good on you, not that brave so waiting to see/drive before I buy. Have also read somewhere that there may be a 3 cylinder 1 litre turbo job next year which has a bit more go to it. Time will tell and we have waited long enough for the mk3 that I may wait a little longer for the turbo job.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

csp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Honda were testing a 1 litre turbo in Japan fitted into a Civic which was originally expected to be fitted in the Jazz for Europe but I doubt if it will be available for some time yet going by how long it has taken to launch the Mk3 in Europe. I expect they will wait until the face lift of the Mk3 before fitting it for sale here.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
That's the model and colour I would buy, if I were to get one (I took a close look at the colour in New Zealand earlier this year). However, I want to see one and drive it into the sunshine to see if the problem of reflections off the area over the steering wheel onto the windscreen has been fixed (looking at the photos of the new model that area has been substantially smoothed off). I also want to see the full and final specs.

Regarding the 3 cylinder turbo this could also help explain why Honda is offering only one engine option at the moment. My own thought is that the 3 cylinder turbo would be a nice fit with an improved IMA hybrid: A bigger motor / generator would help smooth out the 3 cylinder driver and the motor is most effective at lower revs which is the turbo's weak area. Keeping 3 pistons moving when running on motor is also less energy-consuming than 4. However, the recently announced changes to VED effective April 2017 will reduce the incentive for people to buy hybrids.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
Regarding the 3 cylinder turbo this could also help explain why Honda is offering only one engine option at the moment.

In practice there's so little difference between the current 1.2 and "1.4" it seems pointless having both.

Getting the 3cyl engine, with much lower emissions, was supposed to be the reason new Jazz was a year later in Europe than elsewhere - but then all mention of the 3cyl disappeared.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:57:40 PM by Rory »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
I have ordered a Jazz SE CVT in Sunset Orange for delivery in September. I would have preferred to have driven one before ordering but  it is not clear when the 2016 Jazz will be in the showrooms.
I've just checked with my local Honda agent who says early September arrival in the showrooms. I assume that they are bringing in a boatload as they have done with the HRV (see HRV news) with a few to show and the rest to sell.

John

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:36:03 AM »
I'll be interested to know if you find any improvement in the ride.  I'm still not reconciled to the jitteriness of the GE, even after nearly 7 years and 62,000 miles.  The new model has a slightly longer wheelbase and wider tyres, so there may be some improvement...  I still hanker after the comfort of my old Vauxhall Omega, but it wasn't too reliable after 100,000!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
My dealer tell's me that they are expecting the Jazz in the first week in September, this is almost 2 weeks after their original date they gave me, so it looks like all is not going to plan in Mr Hondas world. They do not have any brochures in yet as well. One of the colours of the 2 they are getting is yellow!! How many yellow cars do you see on the road? Another blooper I think in the colour range.
May end up buying German!! :-)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
I recently bought German.....a Ford Fiesta and I have not regretted it. Lovely progressive brakes, easy to stop smoothly. No reflections on the windscreen. Nice steering and suspension. A 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo engine that has lots of pulling power at low revs, I still can't believe it is only 1 litre.  I have only done a couple of thousand miles but it just seems to be getting better as the miles increase. However nothing beats the Jazz for internal space.

I still enjoy looking at this forum from time to time, after 8 years of Jazz ownership it became a habit.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:38:15 PM by Pine »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
I've haggled with my local Honda salesman and agreed a deal for the SE in orange with CVT, 5 years servicing, space saver wheel, tools, floor mats and a tank of fuel in exchange for my 2011 hybrid and eight grand. The deal is subject to the problem of reflections on the driver's windscreen being substantially eliminated. He is expecting to drive one next week and will check this aspect (subject to sunshine) and might get as early as next week for me to be able to see for myself.

He confirmed that this Jazz is made in Japan but had less detailed information to hand than I've found on the www. I asked him to try to find out why the big difference in mpg and CO2 between the SE CVT and the cheaper S version. I explained that the additional weight wouldn't be enough to make a 4% difference in economy and there is no indication that Honda have changed the engine / gearbox settings between these two versions.

I also sought his view on a future Jazz hybrid and the rumoured 3 cylinder version. He was doubtful whether we would see either because the European Jazz market isn't large enough to justify the larger product range. He also expressed doubts about the long term durability of the 3 cylinder turbo motors due to the more highly strssed components. That could explain why Honda have kept to 4 cylinders at this time - they wouldn't want to lose their high reliability rankings.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:35:01 PM by John Ratsey »

guest1404

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »
New 2016 Jazz coming from their brand new plant Celaya Mexico, Same as HRV. Best get your Sombrerrs looked out!

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
I have had a few 3 cylinder engines, one with a turbo, they are smoother than a four cylinder if the configuration is 120 degrees, some 3 pot motors were 180 degree, but these aren't smooth and have tended to have other issues.
There's no reason why a well engineered and properly built 3 cylinder engines life should be much if any shorter than its four cylinder counterpart?

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

If you look at mileage of lots of little 3 pots, you will see them at 160k and still going strong.
    Even old school Diahatsu did 200k if you kept the cooling system good.  Just because these engines have turbos, does not mean that all owners are revving the nuts off them.

Question:  These Mexico and Japanese Jazz models?  Do they have the poor water based paint Euro paint, or proper hard poisonous 2 pack?

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
At one time both my daughter's had 3cyl cars - SEAT Ibiza 1.2 litre and Mitsubishi Colt 1.1.

I never liked the engine in the Ibiza - it always felt like there was engine mount missing and was qute 'juddery' around town.  On the open road it went well though.  Suffered coil pack failure multiple times (always no1 for some reason) which renders the car undriveable.  The included 5yrs AA cover came in handy!

The Colt was very good - you'd never know it wasn't a 4cyl.  Performed well (had MIVEC - similar to VTEC) and felt unburstable.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 04:27:18 PM »
Going to see the Jazz this Friday 28th its the Sunset Orange SE, special pre release viewing because we will be on holiday on the release day. No test drive so just a taster. Can't wait, hope it ' lives' up to expectations.

Tags:

anything