Author Topic: World Fuel Charter  (Read 931 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
World Fuel Charter
« on: September 09, 2020, 02:35:12 PM »
I was looking at the Asda website and clicked on the link for their fuel stations.  As you would expect they were singing the praises of their quality fuels.  It was stated that their fuels exceed British Standards and conform to the requirements of the Worldwide Fuel Charter, who seemed to have signed up all the major motor manufacturers and oil companies: 
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/WWFC_19_gasoline_diesel.pdf
This is a long and technical document but some may find the sections on octane and deposit control interesting.  There is a graph showing that European fuel has the highest levels of additives.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: World Fuel Charter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 03:04:28 PM »
Typical unleaded:

Non-aromatic/olefinic hydrocarbons < 85%
Aromatic hydrocarbons < 35%
Olefinic hydrocarbons <18%
Ethanol <5%
Additives < 0.25%

Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:01:21 AM »
Yes. Asda have been quite forthright in defence of their fuels. Morrisons say nothing, Sainsburys even less than that although Tesco do say they blend additives into all their fuels and even more into Momentum.

The people at Asda are obviously fighting back. They make the comment that "there is no such thing as supermarket fuel."

Just read a post by one of the long standing members who uses Asda predominantly. His cars haven't come to harm.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
We used in business to run a company car fleet with c 35 cars and petrol cards. We INSISTED all drivers use supermarket fuel to save money. Cars serviced by the book. Cars averaged over 20k miles/year and approx 600 gallons of petrol/year.

Over a few million miles we had zero engine issues attributed to fuel..(except for misfuelling)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
When I worked with TMS, our vans refuelled at the local Shell station. The other day I was getting fuel in Morrisons where one of the TMS drivers were refuelling. I asked my mate "Cheap petrol?" and he told me that TMS was bought over and the first change made by the new company was to use supermarket fuel, as the rest of their vast fleet did.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
The specifications of petrol and diesel are tightly controlled but this only applies to the octane and cetane rating respectively , additives are up to the seller and are added to the raw fuel at the bulk fuel depots. There is almost no tolerance on the stated octane rating for petrol but the cetane rating for diesel is a little wider. Both can be sampled at the pumps by the customs and excise organisation without notice to check on compliance with the rules.
My son who runs a diesel is convinced that he gets better performance when not using supermarket diesel which in his case is usually Morrisons.
You buy what you can afford and/or what you are happy with for your vehicle. My Jazz is mostly run on BP 95 octane, I gave up on our local Tesco where I bought their Momentum 99 when they went over to card only payment at the pump during the Covid 19 crisis. If you wanted a paper or something from the shop you could go in there and pay in cash having been forced to use a card at the pump, no logic.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:50:50 PM »
And we can look forward to fuel with 10% ethanol arriving in 2021 https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/what-is-e10-fuel-and-how-could-it-affect-you/ .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: