Author Topic: Learners switching to Automatics.  (Read 4907 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Learners switching to Automatics.
« on: August 31, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
I saw today that learner drivers are switching to automatics.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53933653

When I had my automatic I suggested that my wife learn to drive an automatic and then, once she was a competent and relaxed driver, she could upgrade to a manual licence if she wished, when all she would have to worry about was clutch and gears. Not everything else a learner has on their plate.
Mind you, it is not surprising that two-pedal control is the way to go, as soon all new cars will be two-pedal. Either full electric, or hybrid, like the new Jazz.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Learners switching to Automatics.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
Yes - the manual gearbox will be a relic of the past sooner than we think.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
I don't know about UK, but in Finland the average age of scrapping a car is over 20 years. Even if they stopped selling manual cars today, there will be plenty of manual cars in use still in 2050.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
Cars in the UK rust away before they are mechanically clapped out. We salt our roads all winter, and the mix of salt and the rainwater soon get in everywhere, and they rot away.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:04:55 PM »
Same is happening here too, especially in Southern Finland. That is actually the reason why I bought my Jazz. I don't want to let my old car rot away, but repair the rust and store for nice days.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:15:09 PM by TnTkr »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 07:19:05 PM »
I like to make my cars last, the last one was about 18 years old when it was retired, but that's the exception in the UK. You don't see many 20 year old cars on UK roads these days, and try getting parts from a scrapyard for cars that old - they turn them all into frag now!

Agree about the manual gearboxes, they will soon be a relic.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:20:40 PM »
My kids (10 & 14) have pointed out there's not much point in them learning in a manual as "they'll all be gone soon"

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »
Our entire family has a passion to old cars. Specifically kids ( 10 & 8 ) have informed, that they want to drive our 1989 Peugeot 309 GR (manual) when they get their driving licenses. But no salty winter roads for that old lady any more.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:21:49 AM by TnTkr »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »
I think I am right in thinking that the average lifespan of a car in the UK is 13 years and that the average car is 7 or 8 years old. That 13 year figure will, of course, include insurance write offs so the lifespan of a car that manages to avoid a write off might be a bit higher.

We used to live in Glossop (Simmondley to be precise) and the local pub and Co-op shared a car park. The bottom end of the car park became a dumping ground for old cars - some of which looked in decent condition from the outside. The failure of something like the air con system on a 10 year old car will often see that car in the crusher.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »
I think I am right in thinking that the average lifespan of a car in the UK is 13 years and that the average car is 7 or 8 years old. That 13 year figure will, of course, include insurance write offs so the lifespan of a car that manages to avoid a write off might be a bit higher.

We used to live in Glossop (Simmondley to be precise) and the local pub and Co-op shared a car park. The bottom end of the car park became a dumping ground for old cars - some of which looked in decent condition from the outside. The failure of something like the air con system on a 10 year old car will often see that car in the crusher.

Average lifespan of some cars may be about 13 years,  but makes like Toyota and Honda will be considerably more than that, the main problem used to be bodywork corrosion but zinc coated panels, better sealing and underguarding has made that much better,  and when was the last time engine or transmission failed on a Jap car ( OK CVT and Hybrid has made transmission much more complicated and a lot more expensive to fix,  so cars may be written off due to cost of transmission repairs in the future ).   I do not polish the paint on our cars but during the winter and in spring I will wash underneath with garden hose to remove salty mud - which is the main cause of corrosion as every time it gets damp or wet it carries on corroding metal.  Large plastic bumpers have stopped the stone chips that used to ruin the front of cars as well, because every stone chip on the metal ( not zinc coated ) was a corrosion point.   If you can look after corrosion on a Jap car the sky is the limit for durablity..

Truth probably is that with all the tech in them cars are becoming more reliant on tech that keeps changing rapidly, and may become like phones and Tv's etc. where the tech becomes out of date and either nobody can fix the car or the car becomes unable to meet latest 'standards' ( what they will be we can only guess ).  Like 'sorry mate,  the tech is only 5G and we can't get the bits any more,  you need to upgrade to a car with 10G system.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:14:52 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:28:12 AM »
Definitely finding half of pupils are learning Auto-even young males as they think they can pass quickly.

Cara definitely lasts longer than before, both my Jazz and Ibiza are 11 yrs old and down here in the South, definitely no rust. My old  Civic lasted 18 yrs, a 1994 Bel-Air but wheel arch started to rust when it was 10 yrs old.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
There was a time when an automatic provided significantly inferior performance and fuel economy but this difference has largely disappeared while hybrids are automatic only. One medium term consequence of learners not bothering with manual gearboxes is that there will be a better resale market for automatics, particularly when they reach the age/price suitable for recently passed drivers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
There was a time when an automatic provided significantly inferior performance and fuel economy but this difference has largely disappeared while hybrids are automatic only. One medium term consequence of learners not bothering with manual gearboxes is that there will be a better resale market for automatics, particularly when they reach the age/price suitable for recently passed drivers.

Funny how new breed of drivers cannot get the hang of a manual which needs more coordination than an auto, but can send texts and check twitface while driving..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:46 PM »
Funny how new breed of drivers cannot get the hang of a manual
It's not that they cannot. They just don't want to.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
Funny how new breed of drivers cannot get the hang of a manual
It's not that they cannot. They just don't want to.

Just taking the easiest option for getting a pass....

Tags: