Author Topic: Traffic trends.  (Read 731 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Traffic trends.
« on: August 17, 2020, 06:06:19 PM »
I have been under the impression that traffic is pretty well back to pre-lockdown levels, but today I had an early morning trip to the south of Edinburgh, smack in the middle of "rush hour" and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the traffic was only a little worse than a Saturday morning.
The usual queue from the M9 onto the M8 was non-existent. There were no queues onto the Queensferry Crossing and a trip that I expected to take between an hour and an hour and a quarter was completed in fifty minutes.
Obviously there are still a lot of Edinburgh commuters still working from home.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Traffic trends.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
I think that a significant proportion (half at a guess) of office workers are still working from home. Many of the workers are happy to not be wasting time and money on commuting but another factor is that making offices Covid-safe means having fewer people packed into them. Non-commuter traffic seems to be closer to normal. Look at the traffic layer on Google Maps at rush-hour time and it's clear that a lot of the pre-Covid congestion isn't there.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »
Interesting.

My impression is that rush hour traffic is still below lockdown levels. On the other hand, traffic outside the rush hours is back up to normal and beyond - a lot of day tripping going on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:45:53 AM »
Interesting.

My impression is that rush hour traffic is still below lockdown levels. On the other hand, traffic outside the rush hours is back up to normal and beyond - a lot of day tripping going on.

The amount of rubbish left behind by these new 'day trippers' makes fly tippers look positively public spirited - what a reflection on our society that people in UK can protest about plastics in other countries but care not a jot about dumping stuff in our beauty spots, carparks and on the beaches.  So much MacDonalds stuff dumped,  and Red Bull and Monster cans at the side of the roads ( I went off the M6 southbound at junction 10 and as usual the off-ramp was at a standstill due to traffic lights on the Island,  had plenty of time to admire the amount of rubbish thrown out of vehicles behind the barriers - enough to keep a decent sized recycling plant busy for a month... ) - Also disposable facemasks and gloves now added to the litter - whatever happened to pride in your country ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:11:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
Indeed.

Day tripping and tipping would have been more accurate.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
Indeed.

Day tripping and tipping would have been more accurate.

or even 'day tippers'
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything