Author Topic: Do you enjoy driving?  (Read 1360 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Do you enjoy driving?
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »
One thing I have found myself doing during lockdown is taking "the scenic route" whenever I go out to the shops etc. The lighter traffic and the fact that, being retired, I can almost always avoid rush hour, means that I am enjoying driving.

To be fair I've always enjoyed driving. I have never been a speed merchant but enjoy trying to drive as safely and skilfully as possible. The fact that I have a Honda Jazz, allegedly not a driver's car, doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit. My wealthy older brother has a BMW 4 series but dislikes driving.

So, fellow Jazz drivers, do you enjoy driving?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Do you enjoy driving?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
When I started driving there were around 8m cars  nowadays its 34m+
Still enjoy driving our Jazz with CVT around the UK but not the behaviour of others who cannot respond to road conditions.
My old Subaru Turbo provides the same feeling as when it was new once out on a motor race circuit.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
If it weren't for other road users, it would be fine  ;)

I find driving more of a chore than a pleasure these days, someone always spoils it by doing something to you that's stupid, or even dangerous. I enjoy the two weeks of holiday driving, but I've even been robbed of that this year.  :(

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »
The humble Jazz has some get up and go.

Big wide tyres.and 7 speed paddle  change.

Actually in S mode.it changes up at the red line.
Slowing down is fun.firm braking and down 3 clicks on the paddle.

You can fade the pads if you push to hard.

All this is what I have been told.

Nothing I would even suggest anyone would do.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
Love driving where ever the traffic is free flowing, bit of a chore where congested traffic slows everything up.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Yes, I do enjoy driving. Best when there are no others to limit my chosen speed and no police to see it. I haven't found the best enjoyment of my new Jazz yet, but in general I like to drive different vehicles. I even find my old Mercedes light truck enjoyble to drive as far as there is no-one behind when the uphill comes and speed drops and drops and drops...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »
I love driving. Always have. 50+ years now. Traffic here is fairly light even when it is busy. If you avoid morning and evening rush hour driving is a joy. Especially since lockdown.
I have had a couple of jobs driving deliveries for motor factors. I took up bus driving about 15 years ago and loved that. Just the passengers and selling tickets that p....d me off. I have driven single-seaters, rally cars (tarmac and forest), Honda Pilot racing, motorcycles, driven trucks and forklifts. I get out in the car any excuse I can. Finding the clutch hard work now with my osteoarthritis. Wish I'd stuck with an automatic (not a CVT). Looking forward to test driving the new hybrid.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
I have driven single-seaters, rally cars (tarmac and forest), Honda Pilot racing, motorcycles, driven trucks and forklifts. I get out in the car any excuse I can.

Out of that lot, all I can match you on is a forklift licence  :(

Hybrid is even nicer than an auto, very close to the electric car experience.  ;)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
Local council are making driving unnecessarily unpleasant.  Narrowed junctions, widen pavement, speed humps, pot holes, parking restrictions and badly timed traffic lights are common. Council workers don't even live in the area and are making decisions for us without consultation. I support road safety, drive in environmentally manner etc but councils seems to be making decisions based upon staff who can't even drive!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:11:35 AM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
90% of my driving is rural and even town driving is fairly quiet around here. Fife is a great place to drive especially without tourists!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »
Scotland's great for driving once you get out of the central belt. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit last year taking in relatives in Motherwell then over to Arran and finishing up with a few days in Kirkudbright.

We are less than an hours drive away from North Wales - fabulous scenery and, of course, the seaside but the driving experience not that great a lot of the time. Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham all within easy reach so traffic is often horrendous.

Northumberland great as well. In fact once you get north of Newcastle that far north eastern corner of England is a delight.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »
While other countries are taking to road islands like the proverbial duck to water in the UK we seem intent on replacing perfectly good islands with confusing multi-direction traffic lights.  One stretch of road near us has sprouted more sets of lights than Blackpool has during illuminations,  and as said before they are badly timed - one vehicle at the lights on side road can stop all the traffic on main road, and add pedestrian crossings into the mix and the traffic hardly gets moving and it is stopped again.  We are near Wales and their roads are better than ours in England, but their police are too keen on 'zero tolerance' speeding for my liking, Scotland also has better roads and a lot less traffic than England and great for driving or motorbike.  I am wary of some roads in Shropshire because as well as potholes they have ruts in the tarmac,  which can be scary on a motorbike,  sometimes have to go on other side of road,  but that is not an option if traffic coming other way....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
While other countries are taking to road islands like the proverbial duck to water in the UK we seem intent on replacing perfectly good islands with confusing multi-direction traffic lights.

I blame the end of public information films on TV, particularly the one that teached drivers how to use a roundabout.

I do enjoy driving up through Scotland, especially once you get north of Perth.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
East end of the Central Belt is okay but the west end a nightmare. Motherwell, Bellshill, Rutherglen, Hamilton, East Kilbride, et al, they all just merge into each other and into Glasgow. The Central belt north of the Clyde and Forth is fine. An hour from Glasgow will see you at Loch Lomond or the Trossachs. I'm about 45 minutes from St Andrews and all the east coast villages.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »
My wife hails from Motherwell and we hadn't been up there for a bit. That was the most difficult bit of the trip. Even the sat nav was confused.

Tags:

anything