Author Topic: Finding doors unlocked  (Read 2625 times)

Popdufc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 jazz ex
Finding doors unlocked
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:16 PM »
Couple of times I have arrived at my EX and found it unlocked. Now being more careful and, again, twice the doors have locked and then a couple of seconds later the car unlocked.
Anybody had similar experiences?

BigRon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
Re: Finding doors unlocked
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 10:03:23 AM »
There is a couple of possibilities, one of the doors or tailgate not fully shut or key fob left in the car.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
I always do two taps (for deadlocking) on the ribbed bit on the top of the door handle and then check that the mirrors have folded. For me they are a good indicator that the vehicle is locked so if the mirrors don't fold then that tells me that the vehicle won't lock for some reason. Page 171 of the online version of the handbook explains more about the lock operation and notes that if the front door handles are gripped more than two seconds after locking then the doors will open again.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »
Couple of times I have arrived at my EX and found it unlocked. Now being more careful and, again, twice the doors have locked and then a couple of seconds later the car unlocked.
Please don't think I am taking the mickey, but how do you know they are unlocked? Are you trying the handle? Because that will unlock it. The first time I rented a car with keyless entry, I couldn't stop instinctively trying the handle to check it was locked and obviously I was just unlocking it again. So I walked a distance away and asked my son to check it was locked and that worked.

Of course if you really want to check, you need to do what I do to this day on my Toyota. Which is, test the rear door handle, as that does not unlock the car.

Sorry if this is all obvious to you but it wasn't to me in 2014 with a hire car in Miami, programmed in Spanish and with no instructions or briefing from the hire car company.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

Well that is standard behaviour for normal car with central locking from a pushbutton keyfob when one of the doors or tailgate is not closed properly, the car will open shortly after being locked and the indicators flash as the car unlocks.  If you car has keyless entry then the explanation from Richard Frost may well be the answer.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Popdufc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 jazz ex
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
Yup..
When I lock the door the mirrors fold in. I walk away... When I come back the mirrors are out and doors open. Clue is in the side mirrors!
If you leave a key in the car you get a BEEP and the door won't lock. I have walked away from the car and seen it open a few seconds later. Possibly a trip to the garage. Difficult to recreate.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:54:35 AM »
I'm assuming this is keyless. When you walk away does your route take you directly away.

I had a keyless loaner once and the office layout to carpark meant every time I went to the kitchen with the keyfob in my pocket the car unlocked as I could see the hazard lights flash.
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
As per page 170 of the owners manual, if the car is unlocked and a door is not opened, then it should re-lock after a short period, so you should not be able to find the car unlocked even if you accidently re-pressed the remote following locking it.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 06:07:36 PM »
This has now happened to me on several occasions. I’ve definitely locked with the fob, sometimes double locking, sometimes not, when I’ve gone back to the car it’s unlocked. I’m wondering if the fob is too sensitive and I’m accidentally pressing unlock in my pocket. The wireless range must be incredible for this to keep happening.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »
You can disable the key by holding down both buttons for a few seconds until the little red LED flashes. I always do this when the car is parked at home. Another way to open the doors, at least in theory, is the using the My Honda+ phone app which should also be able to show if the doors are locked or unlocked.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »
I’m wondering if the fob is too sensitive and I’m accidentally pressing unlock in my pocket.
This cannot be the case because if you unlock the car but do not open a door, it will lock itself again.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 04:52:23 AM »
Lock the car, walk away, leave the key away from the car and try to open it.

A friend had this with a 10G. Every time he tried the handle it opened ......... because he had the keyless fob in his pocket.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
It’s very strange as if I press unlock, it does indeed lock after 30 seconds if not entered. I was at work Thursday and a security officer told me my car was unlocked. I was quite shocked because a) I had made sure I locked it, tested the handle, b) how did he know? He said he’s got an older model jazz and tried it to see inside. Now I had walked past the car a couple of times to get into a different building, but I’ve only got the SR model, no keyless entry  :'(

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
Ah, not keyless.

First test is to make sure you don't accidentally press the unlock button - it's very easy to do.

Second test is open and close all, including the bonnet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »
A faulty door or tailgate switch will unlock the doors after you have locked them ( it may be on limit of operation and any wind movement may trip it ) or not allow doors to lock in first place ( with a door open the car should not lock ).

I had a funny situation years ago where at certain times of day,  especially between 5 and 6 in evening our doorbell would chime, at first I thought it may be the sun shining on the button ( house faces west ) - but then I noticed it coincided with neighbour getting home and locking their car,  I moved the doorbell to another frequency and it stopped happening.   A bloke i used to work with had to call the AA when his car alarm would not disable off the fob, the AA bloke turned up and pointed to a phone mast nearby, 'we get a lot of similar calls here he said'...  The radio spectrum is so crowded there may be something interfering with your car.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:35:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: