Author Topic: OB2 Diagnostic Reader  (Read 1484 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
OB2 Diagnostic Reader
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Hi all just purchased an OB2 Reader from E bay Plugged it in and connected by wi fi natty little device read all engine diagnostics no faults shown or logged for £3.95 well worth the money for peace of mind, anyone else had any use of these devices???

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: OB2 Diagnostic Reader
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Post a link to the one you bought. Others may be interested. I actually have 3 (don't ask me why), 2 standalone and my ScanGauge E also doubles as an OBD2 reader.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
I have a Scangauge II that is perminently connected to the OBD port, I use it for the gauge functions rather than the fault code reader.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
I use it for the gauge functions rather than the fault code reader.
Me too, but you could if you needed to.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
I have one of those small blue bluetooth ones lying about, I think it was around £2.50 direct from China a few years ago.

At the time, I bought it to work with a Ford using the J1850 PWM protocol but it wouldn't connect to the ECU - despite the protocol being listed in the spec. I took it apart and found that the pins weren't even wired up for it - different protocols use different pins in the OBD plug. It does, however, work perfectly with the Jazz.

The car had no MPG-ometer, so I was going to set up a similar device to the Scangauge, connecting it to an Android app such as Torque, or there are some other apps which are very similar indeed to Scangauge. The OBD hardware for the Scangauge is basically one of these, connected to a bespoke unit with the software and an LCD display.

I have collected various diagnostic tools over the years, all clone type laptop cables for VW/Audi, Nissan, Peugeot/Citroen, etc., and a couple of generic OBD readers too. I couldn't begin to guess how much these have saved me over the years.

Although those cheap generic ones will only access live engine data and trouble codes, and not the other systems on a Honda such as ABS, gearboxes, etc., I would say it would be the best £3 you will ever spend.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
I have a Bluetooth dongle, but had issues trying to get it to talk to my laptop. I also have one of these,

but have never needed to use it.
I don't have a Smart phone, in fact it is barely a couple of IQ points brighter than me.

Tags:

anything