Author Topic: Advice on space saver tyre  (Read 1842 times)

Beanzboy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz ex
Advice on space saver tyre
« on: July 21, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
Hello anyone, just purchased a jazz ex 1.4, first time I’ve had a Honda !

I am looking at getting a space saver spare wheel, I have 185 55 r16 on the car, I notice that most things for sale are 15 inch, will these work or do I need the 16 inch ?

Thanks for any help  :)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Advice on space saver tyre
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
Welcome.
The 15" and 16" wheels with standard tyres are the same rolling radius. The space saver tyre is the same for both wheel sizes. They are often on E-Bay.

Vic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 04:38:53 PM »
You could try a breaker's yard, but check how old the tyre is (the year of manufacture is moulded on the rubber).  A spacesaver from any model of Jazz will fit (or Rover 25/45 before that, but they're probably past it).

enigma

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 SE Navi CVT Sunset Orange

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 06:31:48 PM »
https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

If you can get a full size spare in wheel well on a mk3 I would much rather get a steel rim and a proper tyre. I have driven on a spacesaver a couple of times and it is not a pleasant experience.  Otherwise if you fancy winter tyres from somewhere like mytyres.co.UK  on steel rims do what my wife does, use a summer tyre for spare in winter and  winter tyre for spare in summer, and save your expensive alloys from winter damage from salt and maybe sliding into kerbs.

Probably easier and cheaper to get 175/65R15 winter tyres, and ride will be improved by taller sidewall,  rolling radius of 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 identical so speedometer will be fine.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:48:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »
This is interesting ( but we probably knew it anyway ) about tyre aging - people assume that because tread depth is OK the tyre is OK... below is a quote from quikfit article linked to, once again older low mileage cars can be a problem.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Tyre ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tyre sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber causing it to dry out. While tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tyre is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use. Low mileage, older cars tend to be most at risk from premature ageing - as drivers assume the tyres are still in good condition if they have plenty of tread.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Yes, this is a worry when considering carrying an old unused spacesaver.  However, spacesavers won't have been exposed to UV light, so they should last many years.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
Yes, this is a worry when considering carrying an old unused spacesaver.  However, spacesavers won't have been exposed to UV light, so they should last many years.

Yeah, it is the sun and oxygen that does most of the damage to things,  and we could not live without either... :o

I think in the quote it mentions 'stored ineffectively' - which I assume means stored outside where the sun can get at it,  but in the boot of a car or garage I don't think there is a problem.

Tags: