Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16413 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2022, 04:03:59 PM »
Yes, it's weird - when working the infotainment unit boots up quickly without any delay.

But sometimes I get the 40 second delay - it doesn't matter if the car has been parked without moving for several days, if it's been driven less than a mile or if it's been driven 50+ miles.

As the problem disappeared when the control unit was replaced, but only came back a few weeks later perhaps the units are burning out from long use?

Most of my trips are 1-2 hours on the motorway. Maybe after a long trip something is failing, and after that the unit randomly has the start up delay.

When I had the software updated on the old unit, it was worse than before and the delay was coming up more often.

Once the unit finally boots up, connecting to the phone only takes a few seconds - but the boot time can either be a few seconds or 40 without seemingly any reason for the difference.

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »
The only issues I’ve had with the touch screen in 30,000 miles is I’ve lost car play connection and had to factory reset the unit in order to add iPhones again.
This has occurred 3 times.
No other issues apart from the split on driver’s seat base leatherette, which is still pending seat base/plastic side moulding from Honda, who have stated they will replace under warranty.
Mine’s 22 model year.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2022, 05:36:46 AM »
I'm going to time mine later for a benchmark.

From memory, till I go out, there are a few milestones :

Honda logo
'Start' 'Settings' screen
Icons screen (where it sits whilst the top menu icons get loaded)
Android Auto - Google Maps.

Exactly as sportse, I've had Google Maps showing anything from under 10 secs to up to a minute, maybe more at times, but tbh it doesn't bother me as I'm sat in the garage doing my pre-flight checks.

The main thing for me is once up and running it's been very reliable.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2022, 06:11:18 AM »
The normal startup from pressing the power button until I get the telematics screen is maybe 7 seconds or so.

When it acts up, it's 30-40 seconds with various blank screens, rotating ball icon and flashing screens. Combined with the lights in the physical buttons on the side of the screen flashing on and off, before the telematics screen finally comes up.

I don't plug in the phone until after I have the main menu following the telematics screen, so am sat waiting until it decides to come up before I can start the satnav. Several times I have picked up passengers and we have all been sat waiting for the infotainment to decide to start, with our seatbelts on ready to go when it does.

I don't mind a few seconds delay after I've connected my phone, it's the delay before you even plug anything in that's the fault.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:15:29 AM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2022, 08:39:08 AM »
Haven't used the car for almost 2 weeks (out tomorrow though)

Pressed Start :

Honda logo appeared in 8 secs
Start/Settings screen appeared in 19 secs (I then pressed Start rather than wait)
Icons/Apps loaded in 21 secs, almost instant after pressing Start
Google Maps, in satellite view appeared in 35 secs

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2022, 11:03:43 AM »
That’s still a bit longer than ‘normal’

I can have the telematics screen up in under 10 seconds usually, occasionally a bit longer.

But the issue with mine is the occasional 30-40 second delay just to get the telematics screen up.

Hopefully Honda can sort the issue.

I know the what car magazine long term car had a completely blank screen for one minute but there was no response from Honda.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2022, 08:07:13 AM »
So yesterday I did the timings exercise, switched off, job done.

This morning, climbed in, mounted phone, powered up and I had Google Maps up and running in about 5 seconds !

I didn't have time to press the 'Start' on the headunit as it was so quick and after Start-Settings appeared it was gone in a flash. There was no prior Honda logo, just straight in.

I've powered up on consecutive days before and not had that speed.

All I can think of, is, WhatsApp backup froze at 99% so I rebooted the phone about an hour before.

If I remember I'll reboot the phone in the morning before my journey home and see what the speed is.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »
Since I’ve had the new head unit I’ve been trying to get it on video again when it acts up (it’s the same as the videos I shot on the old head unit.)

Typically with intermittent issues, every time yesterday and today I’ve been videoing the start up it has worked ok…. But the one time you don’t video it, it does it!

Which happened on the second start today :(

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2022, 10:36:03 AM »
Typically with intermittent issues, every time yesterday and today I’ve been videoing the start up it has worked ok…. But the one time you don’t video it, it does it!

Which happened on the second start today :(

Lesson learned...: if you're in a hurry: video!   :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2022, 07:42:42 AM »
I give up.

Forgot to reboot the phone but the headunit booted, connected and presented Google Maps in about 5 secs again.

I can't remember the last time, apart from yesterday,  it booted so quick. Normally it's about 30 to 40 secs.

I wonder was has ..... temporarily ....... changed.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2022, 07:55:11 AM »
The headunits do appear a bit flakey.

My headunit when working normally varies from 5-15 seconds to get the telematics screen. It varies, but there doesn't seem to be a reason for the variation.

The start up time should be the same every time. It has been on every other car I've owned.

When mine acts up, it’s 30-40 seconds of flashing screens. What car magazines Jazz was 60 seconds of a completely black screen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 08:45:22 AM by sportse »

guest9814

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2022, 07:03:05 PM »
Hi sportse
Try to disconnect manually iPhone in connection settings where CarPlay connected iPhone appears after pairing with infotainment, I disconnected my iPhone then powered off car, next time I powered time the iPhone not tried to connect automatically so infotainment started quickly, with GPS different story, only tricked pinpoint location when used apple maps and opened same time waze on iPhone, this give’s me almost perfect navigation.
I should say that Android Auto  wireless works much better for me then wireless  Apple CarPlay
In two weeks I will get replaced my infotainment and will try to use wired CarPlay if this will not help I maybe will came back to Android.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2022, 07:41:12 PM »
Yes, Android Auto seems to be better as less data appears to be transmitted.

For me, I use TomTom go app which is only available on Apple CarPlay with the route bar - there doesn't seem to be a way to get the route bar on Android Auto unfortunately.

I always use wired CarPlay, so when the phone isn't connected the car shouldn't be trying to connect to it - but I still get the start up delay when no phone is plugged in.

After the infotainment unit has started up, connecting to the phone doesn't take much time - it's the delay in getting the infotainment unit just to boot up that's the problem sadly.

Despite 6 dealer visits, and a new infotainment control unit, it's still not working as it should.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:42:45 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2022, 05:30:55 AM »
Because my last 2 powerups have resulted in ~5secs fully booted I'm convinced it's software related.

If it does drop back to ~30 secs though I'll reboot the phone.

One other thing I did the day before the fast boot was to turn off Android Auto weather. Just something I don't need and the text says "Show weather on your car screen, obtained using your phone's location"
Just something else it doesn't have to do.

In Android Auto on my phone all I have active now is :

Start Android Auto while locked
Wireless Android Auto

Everything else off.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »
I have a weird idea regarding software.

When you turn the car off, you get the eco bar display.

I filled mine up ages ago and didn’t bother resetting it.

At the weekend when I turned off the car, the bars were empty but today they are full again.

Perhaps there is a bug where a full eco bar display overloads the infotainment and causes delays?

I don’t remember if the issues only started after I had filled the eco bar, but will try resetting it.

Tags: