Author Topic: CVT  (Read 4986 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: CVT
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 05:31:34 PM »
Another issue is where you do most of your driving. Most of mine is stop/start urban stuff and the CVT is definitely at home in this environment.

+1,000,000

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »
Without a doubt, an automatic in any form earns its worth in urban traffic. On the open road there is not a lot to draw between an auto or a manual, but hit traffic and I would have an auto anytime. It is just that my preference is for a conventional hydraulic automatic, unfortunately, not often offered, in a small car.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 06:51:40 AM »
I find the Jazz CVT Mk3 great to drive but the most annoying issue is when stopped at traffic lights it is annoying to have to sit with your foot on the brake to prevent the auto start/stop restarts the engine.

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
MT jazz owner here so this maybe a silly question but does the engine restart if the gear lever is in park?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
MT jazz owner here so this maybe a silly question but does the engine restart if the gear lever is in park?

Yes - it's a pita and I think the way stop start operates on many automatics is insane. There must be a reason for it. To give you an example - I pull into my drive, brake and the engine cuts out, move the shift into any other position and it starts again so I have now got into the habit of disabling it before I pull in.

I support the idea of stop start on air quality grounds and it works very well on a manual being activated by depressing the clutch in most cases.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
Yes - it's a pita and I think the way stop start operates on many automatics is insane. There must be a reason for it. To give you an example - I pull into my drive, brake and the engine cuts out, move the shift into any other position and it starts again so I have now got into the habit of disabling it before I pull in.

I try to only the apply the brakes enough to stop it moving, but not enough for the stop / start to be happy with the level of braking applied. It is annoying if I don't get it quite right though!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
I'll give that a try John.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
My MK3 1.3 CVT does change gear what would be between 1-2 but only in Sport not in Drive

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »

I try to only the apply the brakes enough to stop it moving, but not enough for the stop / start to be happy with the level of braking applied. It is annoying if I don't get it quite right though!

I don't have any problem applying the appropriate amount of pressure to either force or prevent cut off, either parking in my drive or in normal driving. It requires a distinct extra push on the brake pedal for cut-off to occur. If I only press the pedal normally when coming to a stop a message pops up saying "press harder for cut-off".

It may be that there is some variability between cars for this, such that some cars cut off more readily than mine.

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »

That's utterly bonkers design.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
The main issue for me is the one mentioned by csp below. I hate having to sit with my foot on the brake. There is also the issue of dazzling drivers behind you (brake lights don't bother me when I'm sat behind a car with them on but they do bother some people). The other issue is it is uncomfortable. In a manual I was into neutral, hand brake on, both feet and legs relaxed.

Overall I'm glad to have an automatic but this issue is an annoyance. 

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 11:05:44 AM »
You can still do the same with your auto, i.e. Move into neutral & handbrake on, when stopped for any length of time.
I agree with your comments re brake light annoyance
For me, it's no hassle to do this and it find it more comfortable on the legs.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
On my HR-V (2019 Face Lift model), if you have Automatic Brake Hold on, you can release the brake pedal and the brakes stay on.  If you had depressed the pedal sufficiently to invoke the stop/start, then it will also retain that when the pedal is released.

The pre Face Lift models didn't do this, they acted exactly as you all have previously described.  So I guess Honda saw the issue and fixed it.

I seldom push the pedal hard enough for the engine to stop (deliberately) but when I do, I find a good technique to start off again is to gently touch the accelerator (which causes the engine to start) and then depress it further to release the brakes.  You can just press the accelerator all the way from the get go, but this seems a bit brutal to me as it starts the engine and tries to take off all in one go.

I'm not sure if the above was ever adopted on the Jazz, but would be interested to know.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 10:39:44 PM »
Without a doubt, an automatic in any form earns its worth in urban traffic. On the open road there is not a lot to draw between an auto or a manual, but hit traffic and I would have an auto anytime. It is just that my preference is for a conventional hydraulic automatic, unfortunately, not often offered, in a small car.

i think its great you got 120k on a cvt, do you change your oil every 2 years ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 11:47:13 PM »
I have a manual. After 25 years of automatics I have gone back to stirring the pot.

Tags:

anything