Author Topic: CVT  (Read 5024 times)

Lemmydog

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1.3CVT
CVT
« on: December 06, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
First of all, my apologies if this has all been gone over before.
CVT - any description I can find of this transmission gives me the impression it is what it says, a continuously variable mechanism from start to full speed with no apparent gear changes. My 1.3 Jazz shows drops in revs at every 'gear change', and it is certainly not what my definition of 'continuously variable' would be. I can understand if using the 'manual' paddles it would jump in revs but why in 'D' if it is supposedly continuously variable?  Or am I just being fik?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: CVT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
As far as I am aware, there is a pseudo gear change in the software, to give the impression of a conventional automatic.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »
Lemmydog - what year is your car?

My hybrid Jazz, has no obvious drop in revs, or change of gear ratios.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
As far as I am aware, there is a pseudo gear change in the software, to give the impression of a conventional automatic.

Here is an old thread about the Mk3.

It includes this Press Release which has this statement.

"For the 2015 Jazz, Honda’s popular, optional CVT is a newly-developed unit delivering better fuel economy and significant improvements to driveability. An all-new CVT control logic was developed specifically for European markets to deliver the direct and linear feeling expected of a manual transmission. This results in vehicle speed matching accelerator pedal position more closely for a more direct feel, while engine speed increases proportionately to accelerator pedal position for a more linear feel.
The CVT’s driveability is given a more natural ‘multi-gear’ feel through the use of new control software exclusive to Europe which simulates seven speeds and provides optimised gear change mapping. Two new additional programmes provide situation-specific enhancements."

Emphasis mine.

I noticed it at first when I switched from Mk2 to Mk3 but now I don't.

Lemmydog

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1.3CVT
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
Hi folks, thank you all for your info - 2016 car by the way. So it is all down to the software, as with so much in life. Cheers.

Dave H

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »
I came to my Jazz from Audi and SEAT DSG boxes. Driving the CVT feels like a manual car with a slipping clutch until its going quick enough to sort itself out.  I wouldn't buy another.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:45:58 PM »
I came to my Jazz from Audi and SEAT DSG boxes. Driving the CVT feels like a manual car with a slipping clutch until its going quick enough to sort itself out.  I wouldn't buy another.

They are definitely "Marmite." I'm happy with mine but then it is my first auto. My cousin's husband, who is in the car business, hates CVTs with a passion.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
After 25 years of driving conventional hydraulic automatics I tried the CVT and didn't like it at all. Too busy for me.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »

Having had three Honda CVT cars and a Ford Focus twin layshaft automatic, I find this a very strange comment!

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »
After 25 years of driving conventional hydraulic automatics I tried the CVT and didn't like it at all. Too busy for me.

As with my reply to Dave I find this a strange comment.....the opposite seems true me!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
They are definitely "Marmite."
As said above, you either like it or hate it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Another issue is where you do most of your driving. Most of mine is stop/start urban stuff and the CVT is definitely at home in this environment.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »
I'm not saying I wouldn't get to like it if I had a CVT. I have only had a short test drive, just out of curiosity, and it didn't float my boat.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
The CVT is ideal for town driving and for me it's also ok on the motorway. If you are a careful, steady driver and maybe getting on a bit, it's great.

No complaints from me - best thing I ever bought my wife! Rather drive her CVT than my manual car, but then I'm well over the hill. I had all my manual gearbox fast car fun years ago when the roads were less crowded and there were maybe less idiots about!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
Theorically a CVT is the best transmission for a car, as it can keep the engine in the best working condition; that's why Toyota and Honda hybrids use an electric/electronic CVT transmission; all electric part of the powertrain works to keep the petrol engine in its best condition. Belt/chain CVT, and also hydraulic CVT (not used in automotive, just some bikes as Honda DN01..) drain  a lot of energy to work, scratching pulleys with the belt and using hydraulic force to drive the pulleys, so sometimes CVT are more frugal than manual gearboxes, sometimes not depending from usage.

Tags:

anything