Author Topic: HRV, next car?  (Read 17654 times)

ozz

• Registered Member
HRV, next car?
« on: November 13, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Hi,
I haven't came across a topic where people discuss their next car after the Jazz. I couldnt figure where to put this topic, didnt want to upset fellow Jazz owners. Therefore here I am.

Currently our family is growing. Although I am very pleased with my problem free Jazz, especially reliability, safety and running costs, it feels like we need more boot space. Too bad because this is the only thing that we are missing. It is a bit cumbersome with big strollers with Jazz. We still fit stuff in there but it isnt as easy as it would be in an station wagon car for instance. We take off one wheel of our big stroller after folding it. And when it is in there it is some puzzle solving to fit rest of our stuff.

It feels like HRVs arent as popular as Jazz. I have seen some people going for RAV4. Any suggestions for a very pleased Jazz owner for his next car??

Cheers!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: HRV, next car?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
If you want magic seats and a vast boot how about a civic?
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
Just about a year ago I went from a MKIII Jazz to an HR-V and have never regretted it for one minute.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »
My trajectory went like this...

2013 Honda CRV (company car) to Mk1 Jazz (temporary car, actually bought for my son).
2013 Mk1 Jazz (wow this is actually great) to Mk2 Jazz (even better)
2015 Mk2 Jazz to HRV (need more room)
2017 HRV (not as much more room as you might think actually) to Rav4 (need more room)

Still got the Rav4 but pondering a move back to a smaller car once one (or both) of my larger dogs crosses the 'rainbow bridge', which is sadly impending.

Whilst I liked the HRV, the early models had some teething issues and there really isn't as much more room in them as the Jazz, surprisingly. In fact in terms of rear seat headroom (not important to me) it was worse.

What I am considering now is a mid sized estate like a Corolla Sport or Civic estate. If both dogs pass on leaving me with the one tiny one, I would most likely return to a Jazz.

One of the deciding factors might be location of a dealership. My local Halifax Honda dealer has switched to Mitsubishi for new car sales but still has a Honda franchise in Huddersfield and still services Honda locally. Whereas my Toyota dealer is the far side of Huddersfield and over the last two years it has been a major ballache that they are not closer.

Good luck in your hunt.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
Would fitting a roof box on be a cheap option, as you keep the car you like, and can expand the storage space easily?

ozz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
Would fitting a roof box on be a cheap option, as you keep the car you like, and can expand the storage space easily?

Thanks for the replies.
For the Civic Tourer option, I actually considered before buying my Jazz. But in that segment competition is fierce I think. I should check other options. I would stay away from diesel I think. Magic seats is great but with a big boot maybe it is obsolete. But Civic would be definetely in my shortlist.

For the HRVs, it is good to hear some positive comments. But I feel already that segment (its called crossover I think)
does not offer that big of a room.

For the roofbox, already done that :) Check the photo attached.

Cheers!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
For the Civic Tourer option, I actually considered before buying my Jazz. But in that segment competition is fierce I think. I should check other options. I would stay away from diesel I think. Magic seats is great but with a big boot maybe it is obsolete. But Civic would be definetely in my shortlist.

For the HRVs, it is good to hear some positive comments. But I feel already that segment (its called crossover I think)
does not offer that big of a room.

For the roofbox, already done that :) Check the photo attached.

Cheers!

IIRC the latest Civic lost its magic seats.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
Yes it has. Had one as a loan car last year.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
I traded in a Mk 3 Jazz for an ex-demonstrator HR-V (1.5 CVT) just over 3 years ago. Aside from the temperamental auto idle stop (which the Mk 3 Jazz also had) the vehicle has been well-behaved and provides a very pleasant driving experience. The HR-V's reputation was tarnished by bugs with the early production (from Mexico but shifted to Japan about a year ago) and sales were hampered by Honda setting the pricing a bit high (which didn't affect initial sales as supply was the constraint but set a bad precedent). I think the diesels were a bit more buggy than the petrol versions. There's a lot of discussion at https://www.hrvforums.co.uk/index.php but it has gone much quieter in the last couple of years which suggests that most of the bugs have been resolved.

The 1.5 litre engine has proved to be very economical (average 50mpg) for my usage pattern (mainly A road 50-60mph cruising) with no hint of the Atkinson cycle which made the Mk 3 Jazz less pleasant to drive.

The HR-V's boot is definitely a size bigger than the Jazz and I don't think you'll find any other vehicle of the same size with as much internal space. If you forego a spare wheel then you've a bit more space under the boot floor. The HR-V's rear seat headroom is reduced on the EX version with the sun roof. I've got the SE and the rear passengers have plenty of room.

For pricing take a look at the Honda approved used vehicle stock https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/honda/hr-v . Vehicles with registration numbers beginning with 'O' are probably ex factory stafflease vehicles and, I would hope, be well maintained and de-bugged.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything