Author Topic: Service and some extra charges  (Read 3721 times)

whoopster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 Elegance Hybrid
Service and some extra charges
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
Hi Everyone

I just had the first service performed on my 2011 Honday Jazz Hybrid.  With only 8'000 km (5'000 miles) driven in the eleven months that I have owned the car, the onboard computer informed me that it was time for a "service B".

Took the car into the dealer for the oil change and all necessary checks.

However, there were two entries on the work report that I found interesting.

1. Fuel additive was used.  The dealer says that it helps to keep the fuel lines and engine clean.
2. A battery charge.  Dealer claimed that the battery was low.

Do these activities sound reasonable?  I have never used a fuel additive before.  I had assumed that the gasoline already contains some form of detergent.  As for the battery issue, the car did not seem to have a problem.  Dealer said that it may have to do with using the phone charger, but I do not believe that.

Your ideas are welcome.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Service and some extra charges
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
If fuel additive is recommended in the owner's manual (I'm sure it isn't) then there could be justification for its use.

As for a phone charger draining the battery, that's bovine excrement. The alternator probably has more than enough capacity to charge 100 mobile phones at the same time. If the battery isn't full at this time of year then it's going to give you problems come winter with the extra power drain from more lights, wipers, etc. I've just checked and anything left plugged in the power socket is automatically turned off when you take the key out.

I would go back to the dealer and talk to someone senior. If there is a battery problem then they should give you a courtesy car for a day while they thoroughly check the charging circuit and battery condition so that you can go into winter with confidence.

If they back down from wanting to do this (ie admission that they have charged you for unnecessary work) then you may want to report to Honda. They pride themselves on the reputation of their dealer network.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
Was it "battery charge" or "battery check"??

On my Hybrids first service the Service Manager seemed to take great pleasure in telling me that my cars batteries were in good condition. Now I assumed that these were the hybrid batteries, not the engine battery under the bonnet.

whoopster

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 Elegance Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
It was "battery charge".

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »
On my Hybrids first service the Service Manager seemed to take great pleasure in telling me that my cars batteries were in good condition. Now I assumed that these were the hybrid batteries, not the engine battery under the bonnet.
AFAIK, the IMA system has one battery under the boot as well as the normal 12V battery. Both should be checked as part of the normal service.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Request the print-out from the diagnostic device that includes battery voltage.  There should have been one at the start of the service, and one at the end.

If the battery was below 12.0 volts, then I would start to suspect the battery itself.  In my line of work, I use lots of rechargeable lead-acid batteries and now and then you get a dud.  It is most often caused by improper assembly of the plates within the battery housing.
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags: