Author Topic: Gas Gauge reads empty way too early  (Read 7569 times)

whoopster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 Elegance Hybrid
Gas Gauge reads empty way too early
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:27 AM »
I thoroughly enjoy my Honda Jazz Hybrid.

One issue though:  The onboard computer informs me that I am low on fuel and the gas gauge is approaching empty.

On two occasions when this has happened, I have waited until the onboard computer indicates that there are 0 km of gas equivalent and that I need to fill up the tank.  On both occasions, the tank was full with 31.5 liters of gas.  I thought that the Honda Jazz Hybrid had a 40 liter tank.

So, the car has almost a quarter tank of gas and it registers that it is empty.

Is this behavior seen by other Jazz owners?

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Gas Gauge reads empty way too early
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
I do this too in that I drive the car until 0 miles is indicated by the on board computer.

The most I've driven with 0 miles indicated is 40miles before I chickened out and got some petrol but even then, I managed to fill the tank with 38litres.

I believe the latest GE6 Jazz fuel tank holds 42litres.

My local Honda dealer mentioned to me that the low fuel warning light comes on when there is 12litres left in the tank

whoopster

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
The Honda Jazz Hybrid manual indicates that the gas tank has a capacity of 40 liters.

So in fact, I can drive another 160 km when the onboard computer indicates 0 km.

What I find very strange is that the gas gauge is really pointing to empty, although there exists just around a quarter tank full of gas.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:30:47 PM by whoopster »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
this topic has been very well covered before on this forum - if you do a search you will find loads of views and information.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »
The most I have put in during refuelling is 33.5 litres when the computer was reporting 13 miles remaining. The feature that annoys me is that the computer gives a reasonable estimate of miles remaining until the tank is about half used and then the forecast miles remaining decrease noticeably faster than the miles travelled. I think the programmer was told to fiddle things so that the computer says 0 miles remaining when the gauge says zero even through there is still fuel in the tank. I would be happy to have the gauge pointing to empty as a reminder but the computer should give its best estimate (which can rapidly change if one encounters conditions that cause a large increase in fuel consumption).

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

whoopster

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
The most I have put in during refuelling is 33.5 litres when the computer was reporting 13 miles remaining. The feature that annoys me is that the computer gives a reasonable estimate of miles remaining until the tank is about half used and then the forecast miles remaining decrease noticeably faster than the miles travelled. I think the programmer was told to fiddle things so that the computer says 0 miles remaining when the gauge says zero even through there is still fuel in the tank. I would be happy to have the gauge pointing to empty as a reminder but the computer should give its best estimate (which can rapidly change if one encounters conditions that cause a large increase in fuel consumption).

John

John,
I can agree with your comments.  When the low fuel warning first comes on, the computer indicates that there is between 75-90 km still to drive.  This quickly goes to zero after driving only 30 km.

Strange behaviour indeed.

guest2898

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
I take no notice of it anymore... i once drove from chester to preston (around 75/80 milles) with it on 0 miles when i left chester zoo... so i know there is quite a bit left when it hits 0...  ;) ;D

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
I take no notice of it anymore... i once drove from chester to preston (around 75/80 milles) with it on 0 miles when i left chester zoo... so i know there is quite a bit left when it hits 0...  ;) ;D

:o

Thats pushing it a bit isnt it? Hope you had a emergency petrol can in your car.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
I can't use mpg data but with l/km I can easily calculate in my head when is the time to stop at gas station.
Tank capacity 42 liters
Avg after 450 km driven is for example 6.7 l/100 km
Add 0.3 because computer is too optimistic for this number.
42/7=6
600 km is expected mileage with avg 7.0 l
If the avg stay the same I know I can easily drive 550 km with the tank  (at least). 

100+1 HP

guest2898

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »

:o

Thats pushing it a bit isnt it? Hope you had a emergency petrol can in your car.

Yes, it was mate, but i did the calculations and knew there was more than enough left to get me home.. it was reading 25 miles left when i pulled into the car park at the zoo.. then went to 5 as i set off and 0 as i left the zoo... i drove it gingerley... maybe i was a little silly as i did not have a can in the car... mind you, i still had free honda assistance on the car as it was not that old then....

Tags: