Author Topic: Electric only  (Read 4330 times)

guest3196

Electric only
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
I have read that under certain conditions it is possible for the car to run briefly on electric only. Has anyone managed to get it to do so?

I was also wondering if anyone has quantified the difference it makes to fuel economy with the air conditioning on or off. Any thoughts?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Electric only
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
I was also wondering if anyone has quantified the difference it makes to fuel economy with the air conditioning on or off. Any thoughts?

On my GD the aircon costs me about  2 mpg which is well worth it considering the benefits of aircon all the year round. Mine is rarely off.
I can easily get that back by moderating my right foot.

Vic.

guest2052

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
Yes it works, I had a jazz hybrid courtesy car last week and gave that a shot.

switch the multi information screen to the graph that shows where the power is going to,

say like when you are cruising along at 30mph, ease off the gas pedal very slowly then you'll see arrows from the engine to the car disappear, and with only the arrow going from the battery to the car.

I believe this is when its running on electric only. (the engine is not switched off, just the fuel cut off i think and engine kept running by the movement of the wheels)

but if you fully take you foot off the gas pedal, then the arrows between the car and battery will go the other way, from car to battery, in which case i believe it's charging the battery.

So have to keep a very slight pressure on the gas pedal

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
1. My Hybrid often, but not always, runs on battery for the last 500 metres to home, which is flat or slightly downhill and 30 MPH speed limit. I think I have seen longer battery operation where there is a long, but not very fast, slightly downhill section. To see the battery operation one has to select one of the many computer display options to get the screen that shows the flow of power.

2. It's probably reasonable to assume that the A/C will take about 1HP. The impact of the A/C running will be much greater on urban driving where the engine is often on idle or moderate power output (and few miles covered) than with sustained motorway cruising where the power output is higher but so are the miles. fortunately, automotive A/Cs have improved a lot since one I had in the mid '80s where turning the A/C off meant I could go uphill in 3rd gear instead of 2nd with the A/C on!

I believe this is when its running on electric only. (the engine is not switched off, just the fuel cut off i think and engine kept running by the movement of the wheels)

Correct. The motor-generator is instead of the flywheel so it and the engine turn over together. The computer has to decide when to add fuel.

John
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:48:12 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3196

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I drove around today with the Power Flow Monitor displayed and very briefly a couple of times I saw 'EV' on the car symbol at the top of the display. The handbook tells me that indicates that only the IMA motor is powering the vehicle, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

For the sake of maybe 2mpg I shall leave the aircon on I think.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
If you don't run your aircon all the time then remember to run it for at least 10ins a week to keep the various seals and components lubricated.

Vic.

Tags:

anything