Author Topic: Hit by Minicab!  (Read 4422 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Hit by Minicab!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
It clearly wasn't your fault, and I would be pushing for a Non-Fault to be recorded on your insurance. It will save your future premiums for the next 5(?) years from shooting upwards.

It will still have to be declared and will affect premiums, even if recorded as a non-fault. However, no excess to pay and NCD will remain intact, so not as bad. Still a bummer though.

If the OP can show that he was in a turn left lane, it's fairly clear from the dashcam that the cab drove across the front of you and intended to go straight on - as he did in the end anyway. Insurer will certainly try for 50-50, but I would stick this one out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
You could screen shot google street view to prove the road markings.

He was definitely in the wrong. If he was in a left turn lane, his car must have been out of lane at the time.

It is worth noting that both cars were moving at the point of collision. In my opinion this will increase the likelihood of a knock for knock settlement.

As you say, just get it sorted and move on. Fortunately it was walking pace and no injuries occured. It's only tin and rubber at the end of the day. Yes, it will have an impact on premiums for the next 2 or 3 years, but on the grand scheme.

I had a deer total my Peugeot 308 on New Years day 2020. Still affects the premiums on both cars, but what's to be done. Mrs W and me were not harmed and that is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are those supposed to be road markings in your picture ? They are not very clear are they ?  Is there a sign before the island giving lane layout ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 12:17:46 PM »
I don't think the dashcam footage helps much, if at all - you do appear to moving to the left as you start to go, but I guess that's a natural consequence as you turn slightly left to join the roundabout. 

The other vehicle hasn't gone far enough for his intention to be conclusive so he could say anything.

There's a very similar junction that we use a lot where the left lane is very tight.   You do see people in the middle lane drift left as they look right while creeping forward waiting for a gap to join the roundabout.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
I don't think the dashcam footage helps much, if at all - you do appear to moving to the left as you start to go, but I guess that's a natural consequence as you turn slightly left to join the roundabout. 

You're right, looking at it again, it's not at all clear where the cars are relative to the tight lane markings. The cab doesn't look to be heading towards the left exit though, and the OP does have dashcam footage of the cab proceeding past this exit as he left the scene.

As for the very indistinct lane markings, that might not assist the OP's cause either - perhaps the lane markings might be clearer (newer and less worn) on the satellite view.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 12:36:11 PM »
You could screen shot google street view to prove the road markings.

He was definitely in the wrong. If he was in a left turn lane, his car must have been out of lane at the time.

It is worth noting that both cars were moving at the point of collision. In my opinion this will increase the likelihood of a knock for knock settlement.

As you say, just get it sorted and move on. Fortunately it was walking pace and no injuries occured. It's only tin and rubber at the end of the day. Yes, it will have an impact on premiums for the next 2 or 3 years, but on the grand scheme.

I had a deer total my Peugeot 308 on New Years day 2020. Still affects the premiums on both cars, but what's to be done. Mrs W and me were not harmed and that is all that matters.

Are those supposed to be road markings in your picture ? They are not very clear are they ?  Is there a sign before the island giving lane layout ?
No there are no signs. It is a road that serves a local Supermarket and Sports stadium. It is obvious that the left lane is left only and even if it wasn't, it isn't an excuse for him to encroach onto my lane.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 12:38:56 PM »
It clearly wasn't your fault, and I would be pushing for a Non-Fault to be recorded on your insurance. It will save your future premiums for the next 5(?) years from shooting upwards.

It will still have to be declared and will affect premiums, even if recorded as a non-fault. However, no excess to pay and NCD will remain intact, so not as bad. Still a bummer though.

If the OP can show that he was in a turn left lane, it's fairly clear from the dashcam that the cab drove across the front of you and intended to go straight on - as he did in the end anyway. Insurer will certainly try for 50-50, but I would stick this one out.
I have obviously declared it to my insurance but I am fairly sure the third party hasn't. He has also not provided me with his full name, address or insurance details despite me texting him and telephoning him.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 12:52:27 PM »
I have obviously declared it to my insurance but I am fairly sure the third party hasn't. He has also not provided me with his full name, address or insurance details despite me texting him and telephoning him.

Which, of course, is an offence.

The fact that the cab driver hasn't reported the accident to his insurer doesn't matter, give your insurer the registration number and they will do the legwork. They may ask/insist that you report the incident, particularly that the fact that the other party has failed to provide their insurance details, to the Police.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »

Which, of course, is an offence.

The fact that the cab driver hasn't reported the accident to his insurer doesn't matter, give your insurer the registration number and they will do the legwork. They may ask/insist that you report the incident, particularly that the fact that the other party has failed to provide their insurance details, to the Police.
He must have seen your post, he has just texted his name, address and insurance company!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »
He has probably been 'advised' by his insurance company that what he did was illegal when your insurance company contacted his.

I'd have demanded full details at the scene or I'd have called the Police.
Let's be careful out there !

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
In all honesty I would have more chance of winning tomorrow’s Euromillions draw than getting any police attendance. We had someone trying to enter our house in the middle of the night last year and their response was ‘sorry we have no officers available at the moment’.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »
You tell them you think the other driver is drunk and looks like he is about to leave the scene.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
Unlikely for the Police to attend immediately if there are no injuries, but they will take the registration and follow it up.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
Can't you not sue the council for not making roaf signs more visible if the taxi guy was to come up with the excuse of he didn't see the road markings?

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
Can't you not sue the council for not making roaf signs more visible if the taxi guy was to come up with the excuse of he didn't see the road markings?
For the amount of repair cost, the short answer is no.

The taxi driver’s base is about 1/2 mile from the location, I’m sure road markings or not he is more than aware of the correct protocol at that roundabout. There are only 2 ways you can turn, left or straight/right, there are 3 lanes, you don’t even need half a brain to deduce the left lane means left turn!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
I wonder how a Tesla Autopilot would read the road markings there! They are disgraceful.

Glad you are both uninjured after this incident.

Tags:

anything