Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 204958 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »
After not even two months of owning a jazz i Will definitly buy a jazz over and over again. Love it.
I am of a similar mind. Hopefully my Jazz will see out my motoring years.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »
After not even two months of owning a jazz i Will definitly buy a jazz over and over again. Love it.
I am of a similar mind. Hopefully my Jazz will see out my motoring years.

Other half is the main driver of ours, she always liked the Jazz and absolutely loves the car. It was meant as a cheap stopgap, but I can see us replacing it with another when the time comes. Very practical little car, and well put together.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2018, 07:23:54 AM »
Filled the tank up again this morning. The light wasn't near coming on, but I have an 80 mile trip tomorrow and ScanGauge was telling me I had enough left for 115 miles. Didn't want to chance it.
ScanGauge said I had got 50.2 mpg, dashboard display said 52.1 mpg and calculated figure was 51.9 mpg. Looks like my dashboard read out is fairly accurate with my driving style.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
What's this ScanGauge then Jocko, what type do you have, what does it do and how easy is it to fit ?

Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
The ScanGauge E that I have, is a plug in unit that monitors instantaneous mpg and average mpg, among other things. It records data on a daily, previous day, current journey, this tank basis, and can display two out of many criteria such as rpm, coolant temp, intake air temp, and so on.
This is an example of the data I record on longer trips:
Average mpg: 50.9 mpg
Max coolant temp: 84°C
Distance travelled: 61 miles
Maximum revs: 4377 rpm
Max speed: 57 mph
Average speed: 28 mph

It plugs into the OBD II port, above the clutch pedal, and I have mine mounted on its Velcro, on the steering wheel binnacle.

It switches on automatically and is completely passive. Every time I fill up, I input the fuel added and the cost per gallon. After a few top ups the accuracy  gets pretty good.
It also reports any OBD codes and allows you to reset same.

Currently, Amazon are selling them for £92.20.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ScanGaugeE-Ultra-Compact-Automotive-Computer/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518794320&sr=8-3&keywords=scangauge+e

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
Do you still do the brim to brim method as a back up Jocko?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »
Do you still do the brim to brim method as a back up Jocko?
Oh yes, that is where the calculated figure comes from. This morning I put in 30.5 litres, which is 6.7 gallons. I use that and my odometer reading to come up with a calculated mpg figure. I always fill brim to brim and stop on the first cut off (Jazz is good for smooth filling). The calculated 6.7 gallons is fed into the ScanGauge, along with the price per gallon (the ScanGauge actually tells you how many gallons it reckons you have used and you + or - that figure), and that sets it up for the next tankful's figures.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
The ScanGauge E that I have, is a plug in unit that monitors instantaneous mpg and average mpg, among other things. It records data on a daily, previous day, current journey, this tank basis, and can display two out of many criteria such as rpm, coolant temp, intake air temp, and so on.
This is an example of the data I record on longer trips:
Average mpg: 50.9 mpg
Distance travelled: 61 miles
Maximum revs: 4377 rpm
Max speed: 57 mph
Average speed: 28 mph

It plugs into the OBD II port, above the clutch pedal, and I have mine mounted on its Velcro, on the steering wheel binnacle.

It switches on automatically and is completely passive. Every time I fill up, I input the fuel added and the cost per gallon. After a few top ups the accuracy  gets pretty good.
It also reports any OBD codes and allows you to reset same.

Currently, Amazon are selling them for £92.20.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ScanGaugeE-Ultra-Compact-Automotive-Computer/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518794320&sr=8-3&keywords=scangauge+e

Jocko

Surprised to see you maxing out at 4377 RPM with you being a low rev gear changer.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »
Posted this under "Incredibly flexible little engine." on Thursday.
Had the car up to a heady 4377 rpm yesterday (ScanGauge E recorded). It is amazing what a quiet gearbox lets you do. Car pulls really well once you get it up there, but the indicated instantaneous mpg of 12.1 means I probably won't be making a habit of it!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
Did my usual Saturday run to visit my aging Mother-in-law. Tried keeping the speed up nearer 60 mph than my usual 50 mph and I seem to have got a better mpg figure. It is only the ScanGauge data but it looks a bit better.
Average mpg: 54.6 mpg
Distance travelled: 76 miles
Maximum revs: 2909 rpm
Max speed: 58 mph
Average speed: 41 mph

As you can see my peak rpm is nearer my usual figure.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »
Can see why it gets called the fibometer! on my normal local running about the gauge consistently shows between 34 and 37 since i got it 2 months ago,which to be fair i thought was pretty reasonable. Today i filled up again having covered just under 200 miles and worked that out as 43.6 mpg(36.8mpg on dash).This was the first time i checked.Only a few less than i used to get out my diesel that i replaced so with unleaded being a few pence cheaper it must cost about the same.

The one time i went on a slightly longer run of about 25 miles each way i reset the dash and it showed about 46mpg i think, so hopefully this could be over 50.
Not been on a motorway trip yet but guessing with the autobox it will revving its nuts off to keep a decent speed and this mpg will drop a bit?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 07:29:55 AM »
I set mine when I fill the tank then leave it until the next time it needs filled. Think it is much more accurate this way, than resetting it every trip.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
Can see why it gets called the fibometer! on my normal local running about the gauge consistently shows between 34 and 37 since i got it 2 months ago,which to be fair i thought was pretty reasonable. Today i filled up again having covered just under 200 miles and worked that out as 43.6 mpg(36.8mpg on dash).This was the first time i checked.Only a few less than i used to get out my diesel that i replaced so with unleaded being a few pence cheaper it must cost about the same.

The one time i went on a slightly longer run of about 25 miles each way i reset the dash and it showed about 46mpg i think, so hopefully this could be over 50.
Not been on a motorway trip yet but guessing with the autobox it will revving its nuts off to keep a decent speed and this mpg will drop a bit?

The CVT actually pulls about 1000 revs less at 70 mph than the manual in fifth gear,  the i-shift will be at same revs as manual as it is an automated-manual box.

most people find the MPG display reads optimistic,  you are the first that I have sen that accuses it if being pessimistic.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
Light came on last night so I filled up this morning. Exactly 50 mpg, not bad considering the weather we have had and the fact I spent two days pootling about in the snow in 1st and 2nd gear. The "Fibometer" said 51.3 so that wasn't too bad. Only 2.6% error.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2018, 10:07:47 AM »
Ours is hovering around 48-49 on the fibometer currently, which I don't think is too bad, given the weather and the fact that a service is due... probably a little overdue now, I wasn't doing it in the freezing cold.

Fibometer figures seem to be born out by fag packet calculations on fill ups.

Tags: