Author Topic: bluetooth connectivity  (Read 22725 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: bluetooth connectivity
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
And why would you want it in a car anyway?  People complain about the technology that we already have.
Only because it's poorly implemented. Mirrorlink should in theory have allowed us to render the phone's screen on the infotainment which would mean a larger screen for satnav apps. Quite a nice alternative to paying over the odds for the (probably buggy and uncertain update future) app that Honda try to peddle.
If you refer to the Garmin sat-nav that comes with the NAVI model.  I have that and it is solid as a rock on mine.  Never once failed me.
That's good to know. How often does it get map updates?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:32:09 PM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 10:46:03 PM »
Do you mean these updates?

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/navi-updates.html
Ah, it's provided by Garmin. That ought to ensure map updates for a few years and their stuff is usually bug free if sometimes poorly designed. Still too expensive for me though, considering you can get it for free on a smartphone.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »

Not those, they are older systems and accessory navigation units.

You want to visit www.garmin.com/honda to update your 2015- Jazz Navi. Annual updates free for 5 years from registration

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »

You want to visit www.garmin.com/honda to update your 2015- Jazz Navi. Annual updates free for 5 years from registration
Five years free updates isn't bad. Can a subsequent purchaser of a vehicle register or is the first owner the only one that gets free updates? But at least it wouldn't put me off buying a Honda if the only one I wanted came with sat nav. But I'd still rather source my own solution.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 08:37:02 AM »

Five years free updates isn't bad. Can a subsequent purchaser of a vehicle register or is the first owner the only one that gets free updates? But at least it wouldn't put me off buying a Honda if the only one I wanted came with sat nav. But I'd still rather source my own solution.
The problem is that you are not allowed to touch the screen on the phone for any reason while you are on the road.  So you need to set your route before you start and any changes or responces could only be made if you park up.  A couple of £200 fines, crashes and points will easily pay for the built in unit.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »

The problem is that you are not allowed to touch the screen on the phone for any reason while you are on the road.  So you need to set your route before you start and any changes or responces could only be made if you park up.  A couple of £200 fines, crashes and points will easily pay for the built in unit.
That's not true. It's only illegal to hold it. As long as the phone is anchored you are allowed to touch it.

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

and

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q955.htm

"Pushing buttons/touching a phone while it's in a cradle or on the steering wheel or handlebars of a motorbike for example is not covered by the above offence, provided you don't hold the phone. Therefore, in our opinion, if the device can allow for hands-free calls, such as when using Apple's Siri voice command system or using a car's compatible systems, it would be legal but inadvisable to use whilst driving. However, we would emphasise that ultimately this would be a matter for a court to decide."

Basically it's not being a smartphone that makes it illegal. It's holding it your hands that does. A smartphone in a cradle is therefore exactly as legal (or illegal if abused) as a built-in sat nav.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:51:37 AM by andruec »

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
I know that is an official government page but that is not what some Chief Constables are saying, or the AA for that matter.  Good luck in court.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »
It has nothing to do with Chief Constables or the AA. The CPS would not prosecute a driver for operating a mobile phone in a cradle provided the driver wasn't distracted by texting or trawling the internet.
Personally, I think using a hands free mobile is just as distracting as holding on to your phone and I would never consider doing it. I also think that setting a sat nav when driving should be illegal as well. It is certainly frowned upon and the overhead traffic signs, here in Scotland, regularly tell you not to do it.
If I need to make a phone call or adjust my sat nav I find a suitable safe place to stop and do so there. And when I do I always switch off and remove the keys. It is illegal to use a handheld mobile phone, even if safely parked, it the car engine is running. Even if you are in a car park, if the public has access, it is an offence. As Michael Caine would say, "Not a lot of people know that".

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
The problem is that you are not allowed to touch the screen on the phone for any reason while you are on the road.

Surely if that were true it would also be illegal to use the touch-screen built into the car ?

In terms of distraction whilst driving, operating the car's screen is no better or worse than operating the screen of a stand-alone satnav or phone being used as a satnav (provided of course the stand-alone device is mounted in a cradle and doesn't obstruct the driver's vision). Some people might say the built-in screen is more distracting because of it's insensitivity. I'm not advocating setting routes etc whilst driving, you should always stop to do anything complicated like that, but simply touching the device (eg to mute/unmute) should not be a problem.

I know that is an official government page but that is not what some Chief Constables are saying, or the AA for that matter.
Can you provide links or references to the alleged statements please so we can see what has actually been said ?

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
It's definitely inadvisable to do anything other than operate your vehicle and personally I dislike seeing people driving one-handed even if the free hand isn't doing anything. One of the advantages I claim for an automatic vehicle is less need to remove a hand from the wheel to operate a lever.

However suggesting that a built-in satnav is more legal than a phone in a cradle is simply not true. Both of them can be abused and both are potentially illegal. My concern is not so much that ColinS tried to denigrate phone use as the possibility that he might be seen as condoning built-in satnav use. Interaction with anything other than those controls which directly operate the vehicle should be discouraged.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
It's definitely inadvisable to do anything other than operate your vehicle and personally I dislike seeing people driving one-handed even if the free hand isn't doing anything. One of the advantages I claim for an automatic vehicle is less need to remove a hand from the wheel to operate a lever.

However suggesting that a built-in satnav is more legal than a phone in a cradle is simply not true. Both of them can be abused and both are potentially illegal. My concern is not so much that ColinS tried to denigrate phone use as the possibility that he might be seen as condoning built-in satnav use. Interaction with anything other than those controls which directly operate the vehicle should be discouraged.
I agree andruec.  I was not meaning to condone the use of any device, built in or not. As you rightly say, anything that distracts from driving should be discouraged.  I will still be changing gear for the time being, but I do have a loan demo HR-V CVT on Thursday, so I may be a convert soon :)

The more I read on the subject of mobile phone use, the more I see conflicting statements.  The only thing I can see that is indisputable is that you must not hold any device in your hand, unless making a call to the emergency services.  Of course most of the quotes one reads are from newspaper journalists.  The AA and RAC sites are quite good reads though.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
I was not meaning to condone the use of any device, built in or not.
Need to move with the times here, using a stand-alone satnav whilst driving now forms part of the driving test:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-test-changes-4-december-2017
So not only is it accepted practice and condoned by officialdom, it's actually required.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
I was not meaning to condone the use of any device, built in or not.
Need to move with the times here, using a stand-alone satnav whilst driving now forms part of the driving test:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-test-changes-4-december-2017
So not only is it accepted practice and condoned by officialdom, it's actually required.

You only have to follow directions from a satnav, the examiner provides it and sets it up. As Jocko says above the motorway gantry signs in Scotland specifically warn against seting up or adjusting them while driving.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Sat nav is great. You just have to set it up before you move off. Mine is mounted at the bottom centre of the windscreen, impossible for me to reach with my seat belt on. I remove it from its clamp, set it up, refit it, fasten my seat belt and go. If for some reason I have to make a change I just stop in a safe place.

Tags: