Author Topic: Waxing Your Windscreen  (Read 2533 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Waxing Your Windscreen
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
I've always seen this as a big no no but I've seen a few videos recently where people have done just that - waxed their windscreen with standard car wax (not a polish but a carnuba type wax). The idea seems to be that you clean the glass thoroughly first (maybe using an all purpose cleaner) and then apply a thin coating of car wax. It is said that, contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't streak, means you need your wipers less and makes them quieter.

This goes against everything I've believed on this topic but has anybody else waxed their windscreen and what were the results?

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
Re: Waxing Your Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:52 AM »
I use comma clear gel its a gel which reduces the rain droplets and improves visibility.
To apply clean eterior glass and put a small amount on the glass and rub till its clear.
It reduces streaks, but it last a month till u have to apply again.
Makes a difference

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
My experience of getting wax on windscreens ( and Rainex) is that when the wipers pass over the screen any slight amount of water left behind does not spread out ( like the detergent ( surfactant ) in screenwash makes it, as it destroys the surface tension on the water ),  but forms micro-droplets which cloud up the screen - maybe it is the combined effect of rainex / wax and the detergent in screenwash fighting each other,  but whatever it is the result sure looks like smearing to me - I only use Turtle wax clear Vue screen cleaner ( inside and out ) and a decent quality screenwash additive.  I did try rainex screenwash additive once and was immediately sorry, drained it out but took ages to get rid of the smearing. 

I may not clean the bodywork very often,  but a dirty / smeary screen is a no-no for me,  I hate driving with a dirty screen - I will also use AutoGlym super resin polish in headlights and rear light cluster plastic to help stop clouding and will used rainex on side windows  and rear screen because it seems to stop dirt sticking and it makes frost and ice easy to remove ( and any slight smearing on rear screen is not really a problem for me).

found this video testing Meguiars wax on windscreen and the results are not good - try googling hydrophilic and hydrophobic glass coatings - rainex is Hydrophobic ( repels water and causes it to bead up) there are other hydrophilic coatings that cause water to sheet rather form droplets.   this one claims to be a lot better than rainex and last 12 months https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hendlex-Treatment-Hydrophobic-Windshield-Resistant/dp/B01LYU1BB9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa/260-8406173-8596323?ie=UTF8&qid=1543932518&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hydrophobic+spray+glass&psc=1

This is what we need on cars

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:22:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
I have a bottle of this I am trying on house windows first,  plenty of rain by us at the moment to check its performance ( hoping it will keep them cleaner for longer).  Some of the reviews say it is less smeary than rainex on windscreen and does not form a mist of small droplets - the only misting is just behind wiper baled as it travels and it quickly clears.. will let you know what happens on house windows and then maybe try it on the windscreen...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-Premium-Windscreen-Repellent/dp/B001T95NLM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
Look forward to the results of the trial!

Tags: