Author Topic: Noisy hatchback struts  (Read 1336 times)

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
Noisy hatchback struts
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »
 Morning, Folks

Very pleased so far with my 13 plate Jazz ES, purchased just over a year ago with 13k on the clock, now approaching 21k.

Just one chronic issue so far, which despite being a minor one, is really annoying me. Noisy hatch struts, which I've attempted to cure using grease, dry silicone spray, the usual things. These various potions work for a few days then the horrible squeal/squawk returns when the hatch is being closed. Its definitely the struts and not the hinges.

Anything else I could try short of strut replacement? Many thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Noisy hatchback struts
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
Earplugs!  :D
Try slackening off the mountings, close hatch, then from inside the car, retighten them. They may be under strain.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »
Morning, Folks

Very pleased so far with my 13 plate Jazz ES, purchased just over a year ago with 13k on the clock, now approaching 21k.

Just one chronic issue so far, which despite being a minor one, is really annoying me. Noisy hatch struts, which I've attempted to cure using grease, dry silicone spray, the usual things. These various potions work for a few days then the horrible squeal/squawk returns when the hatch is being closed. Its definitely the struts and not the hinges.

Anything else I could try short of strut replacement? Many thanks.

Fully raise tailgate and clean the strut piston rods really well before lubricating them, make sure you also lube the ball joint pivots at ends of struts.  My wife's mk2 had squeaky hinges that GT85 PTFE spray cured, used it on struts as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

desthemoaner

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
Many thanks for the replies.

Kind of "belt and braces" cleaning something noisy before lubricating it, but oddly enough I hadn't thought of doing that,and by spraying dirty struts I'm probably just moving the muck around.

I'll clean them thoroughly and have another go, and I'll check the mountings too.  ;D

Tags:

anything