Author Topic: D or B!  (Read 12143 times)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: D or B!
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 12:44:20 PM »

Yeah I think if your demand on the footbrake is light enough  it may only   use regenerative braking, and gain some free charging,  rather than waste energy heating up discs and pads. 

Thanks exactly how e:HEV braking system works, your foot on the brake pedal is not directly connected to the brake pads, the system uses the brake pedal simulator pressure to determine the amount of retardation needed and balances that with available regeneration and then apply any pressure to the brake pads to match. On a steady slow down the brake pads are actually only used toward the end of the braking cycle.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »
Stopping by magnets. I wanna sticker !  ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »
I agree with Nicksey and Voltermore: I generally drive in D which caters for a more smooth control. When I first had the Jazz I tended to use B when I wanted to brake, but now I just gently press the braking pedal. That allows for more smoothness and you don't scare people behind you (brake lights are coming on). I only like B in hilly parts (not available in NL) and in heavy stop and go traffic.
I would have liked having a meter that shows how much you regenerate (as on the new H-RV and Civic).

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2022, 06:41:12 PM »
I'm still getting used to my Jazz (2 months) but find the car feels heavier in B mode, so am tending to only use it on hills/approaching junctions, and D the rest of the time. I am quite light footed I think on the pedals.

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2022, 07:01:50 PM »
We use B because we can't pull the drive selector lever any further. Lazy drivers!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2022, 08:05:16 PM »
I estimate I use D and B equally. I like to use Cruise Control and that requires D mode. When I'm not 'cruising' I use B as that's simulates engine braking. I've mostly owned manual gearbox cars;  engine braking feels right to me.
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »
...find the car feels heavier in B mode

If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2022, 08:24:51 PM »
Coming down a longish hill in B  mode the HV battery  may be full long before you reach the bottom. You cannot add more charge to the battery   so there is no longer any free energy   and the car needs to find other way of dumping the excess energy and retarding  the car as best it can. I believe it sometimes utilises genuine engine braking using  compression of the ICE  engine , but this can be quite noisy.         
In my experience the car is more likely to use engine braking when in B mode and the battery is full. When that happens on a long moderate hill I temporarily shift to D so the discs can be cleaned and the engine goes quiet. Otherwise I use B all the time.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2022, 08:56:01 PM »
In my experience the car is more likely to use engine braking when in B mode and the battery is full. When that happens on a long moderate hill I temporarily shift to D so the discs can be cleaned and the engine goes quiet. Otherwise I use B all the time.
I don’t believe there is any connection between the brake pedal and the regeneration system.
In fact using the brake pedal can only reduce the total regeneration available, because energy is then being used by the the brake discs/pads, leaving less for regeneration.
So, like John I use ‘B’ mode most of the time, except when I need ACC.

RustyK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe 2022
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2022, 05:40:40 AM »
Have attached an excerpt from the Honda City e:HEV that has just been released.  It seems to use the same system as the Jazz but suggests that pressing the brake pedal does generate more regenerative energy in the early phase, also look at City video online.

''Honda City E:HEV Hybrid Regen Mode Explained
There is one more mode in the City e:HEV which is deceleration and during this phase, the batteries are recharged. This takes place by one of two ways. You can use the brakes to recharge the batteries, converting kinetic energy into electric energy during braking. Or you can use the selective recuperation mode using the paddle shifts with three levels of energy recuperation. The left paddle increases the level of regeneration, while the right pedal reduces it.''

It kind of works like a traditional gear selector, except it does not change the ratios. When engaged, to activate recuperation, all you have to do is release the accelerator pedal and cruise, this creates a kind of dynamo effect that recharges the battery. The braking feel generated during regeneration isn't too aggressive in either of the modes and if timed right it can almost provide you with one-pedal drivability though, unlike in an EV, the City e:HEV does not entirely come to a stop unless you use the brakes.[/i]

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2022, 11:01:37 AM »
B all the time except when using ACC.
D regen is weedy in comparison.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »
I'd prefer to be an Alpha male, but that's not an option.  ;D 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2023, 01:31:23 PM »
Never used B mode as it’s flat.

What is the B gear in Honda Jazz hybrid?

Put simply, the 'D' mode is for normal driving, and 'B' mode should be used when you are going downhill.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »
I would say B mode produces more regenerative power from deceleration.

I always use B as it's mostly one pedal driving if you look far enough ahead.

It seems we all have our favourite due to 'reasons' so it's a personal decision.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2023, 02:37:38 PM »
Put simply, the 'D' mode is for normal driving, and 'B' mode should be used when you are going downhill.

Put simply, the 'D' mode is for normal driving, and 'B' mode is for normal driving with more regenerative power from deceleration.

An additional B mode helps with braking. Although it would be more accurate to say “with slowing down”: after all, these settings are aimed at increasing the intensity of recuperation and energy accumulation. The B mode shows itself best during the process of resetting the speed while driving – a smooth deceleration as if you switched to a lower gear and braked the engine on a regular car. It is worth noting that in the usual D mode, the Honda Jazz simply coasts.

Source: https://mezha.media/en/articles/honda-jazz-car-test-drive-double-hybrid/

So... really not only for going downhill...
I always drive in B mode, the only exception is when I want to use the Adaptive Cruise Control.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:18:42 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: