Author Topic: Noise when accelerating.  (Read 6710 times)

Magnus

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk2 2009
Noise when accelerating.
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:34:53 PM »
Dear all,

I've recently bought a used Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC 2009 5-speed manual.
I am noticing a distinct noise from the engine-area during acceleration. The noise only occurs as the engine is "pulling" and thus not present while cruising. As I drive mostly in the city, the noise is very disturbing and is most noticeably when stepping on the gas in 3.4' gear.
I've taken it to several workshops, each with their own diagnostic. transmission bearing, timing-chain, heat shield and intake manifold.

To me, the timing-chain seems unlikely. I've inspected the heat shields and intake manifold and I certainly would not want to pay for bearing replacement, only to find the problem is somewhere else.

I've attached two short videos, hopefully will be able to hear it.

My hope is that someone might be able to guide me in the right direction. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 04:41:21 PM by Magnus »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Noise when accelerating.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 05:23:18 PM »
Can't hear the noise very well on video ( just a roaring noise - which could be induction noise ), but when a strange intermittent noise happens when flooring the accelerator in higher gears it could be pinking / knocking.  Next time you fill up try some 99 RON fuel and see if it makes the noise better... also when were spark plugs changed  - the iridium plugs in MK2 supposed to be good for 70,000 miles ( about 120,000 KM ) if I recall correctly, but they were changed in my wifes MK2 at about 60,000 miles ( 100,000 km ) and the engine felt better..

I fitted these and they have been in the engine for about 5 years now, they were identical in heat range, spark position etc to original Honda..

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79514-ngk-izfr6k13-6774-iridium-ix-spark-plug-sparkplug-platinum-ground-electrode.aspx?VariantID=124730

Original Honda are these...    https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79449-ngk-difr6d13-94167-laser-iridium-spark-plug-sparkplug-fits-honda-crz-hybrid.aspx?VariantID=124536

Which you can also get from Cox Motors        https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-spark-plug-set-iridium-2009-2015/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 05:26:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »
I have the same noise. Ish.
So far I’ve changed the oil for top spec 5-30 fully synthetic oil and changed the filter too for a genuine Honda item. The car had been serviced before I bought it from a garage but I NEVER trust that it’s been done correctly - cars love the correct oil and it’s cheap to do it - I did it myself.
I’ve also been adding an octane booster to the fuel each time it’s filled up. I used this one https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/millers-petrol-power-ecomax-500ml-166788.html as I think it’ll probably be cheaper than premium fuel and it’s easier to add this to my normal fuel than seek out decent Shell V-power or similar (I’d only use V power personally, not all high octane fuels are the same!).
I’m sure the noise has reduced somewhat with those changes but I have more planned.

I’ve just bought a full set of iridium spark plugs  from sparkplugs.co.uk - cost was £48 for a set of Denso SKJ20DR-M13 plugs which are recommended by Honda (they recommend 2 types - see the screenshot I have attached from the Honda dealer service guide - but these are the cheaper ones).
I’ve also got a genuine Honda rocker cover gasket and sealant and I’m going to check the valve clearances - just got to borrow a torque wrench from a friend to to that. I’ll do that at the same time as the plugs.

I had a good look under the car but I couldn’t find any loose heatshields but when I do the plugs I’ll get better access behind the engine to check there.

Basically I’m doing what I do with any car - do a compete service and change everything that’s fairly cheap and could promote poor running or poor reliability. I don’t trust garages, not even dealers to do everything correctly. I can’t do everything mechanic wise on a car but this sort of stuff is pretty much bolt on - mostly using a Halfords advanced socket set!!

I’ll let you know how I’m getting on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:29:55 AM by MiniNinjaRob »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »
some suggestions posted on 30 march dropped off due to a server problem.  OP has already checked air filter and induction ducting.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

melovesushi

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
i get a noise when accelerating after years of complaining to honda about it , i noticed its even worse
when going up hill which leads me to believe it is my clutch , i have a manual 1.3 plus 2014

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 03:22:27 PM »
Welcome. What did Honda have to say about it?

Magnus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 04:09:51 PM »
At this point i have dismantled everything apart from the gearbox itself. No reason to believe that it should be an induction noise or anything like that.

I can’t really make sense of how etc. a gearbox bearing noise would appear periodically like that. I can hear a slight bit of noise from the transmission, when the clutch is depressed but it so little that I have to hold my ear close to it..

I’m planning on removing the gearbox to replace clutch at throw out bearing soon. Does anyone by chance know where I can find a set of bearings for the gearbox?

- Best

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 07:10:22 PM »
Gearbox noise goes away when you depress the clutch.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
Ok now I changed the spark plugs yesterday for new iridium OEM spec ones and it has made no difference. Still the same noise.

I checked the back of the engine and couldn’t find anything loose - the gear linkage was maybe a little loose but I have no experience in these things - is it ok?

https://youtube.com/shorts/gMQ4wOT_aJA?feature=share
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 12:04:36 PM by MiniNinjaRob »

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 01:23:18 PM »
Noises when accelerating in higher gears can be clutch thrash, caused by the coil springs in the clutch centre plate becoming slack. Used to be a common problem when I was working on fords many years ago. Gearbox bearings both on the mainshaft, and the needle bearings in the layshaft can also be worn as the lower gears put them under more stress. Might be worth changing gear oil and checking for debris in the drained oil.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »
Noises when accelerating in higher gears can be clutch thrash, caused by the coil springs in the clutch centre plate becoming slack. Used to be a common problem when I was working on fords many years ago. Gearbox bearings both on the mainshaft, and the needle bearings in the layshaft can also be worn as the lower gears put them under more stress. Might be worth changing gear oil and checking for debris in the drained oil.

Don't know if this is related but I experience a rattle and always @2100 RPM underway, never stationary so very hard to diagnose on the drive etc. I asked Honda to check it and the mechanic reckoned it was a clutch problem.

jimmy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 10:19:59 PM »
I have this same symptom.
For what i gathered my bet would be on a failed input shaft bearing inside the gearbox.

Nothing else makes much sense, and i doubt changing the clutch and the release bearing would change that.
I have changed my gearbox oil in the hopes it would get better, but it remained the same.

I wonder if it actually is something i should worry about or not, since it is not affecting the driving at the moment...

PS:. i thought it was a GD model issue only... apparently not.

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »
I have a similar sound, I think. Most noticeable at 2000RPM. 3rd gr and above. Only when pulling hard.

I came to the conclusion it was injector resonance. No harm. New injectors could help. Some brands mount injectors with a rubber piece to kill resonance going to in the engine block.

If gearbox I'd expect it to be worse at high rpm. Clutch would be worse when slipping or pulling away at low rpm.

I've had it for a year. No issues driving.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 03:31:37 PM by ssashton »

Magnus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
That is an educated guess, thank you!
The fact that the noise doesn’t follow rpm has kept me from swapping the gearbox yet, as it keeps running without any noticeable change.

Please let me know if you come to a conclusion at some point.

Best

Magnus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
That is an educated guess, thank you!
The fact that the noise doesn’t follow rpm has kept me from swapping the gearbox yet, as it keeps running without any noticeable change.

Please let me know if you come to a conclusion at some point.

Best

Though injectors would likely rattle at idle or neutral too.

Tags:

anything