Author Topic: Greenflag vs AA  (Read 2095 times)

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
Re: Greenflag vs AA
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
Thanks Sparky!
Your tyre change example is spot on. Although I’m unlikely to drive on a motorway more than 4-5 times a year, the thought of a breakdown isn’t nice.
Just for the peace of mind the basic cover should do me. Green flag £34 vs £27 for emergencyassist.co.uk for my 16yr old Jazz
Both use 3rd parties.. Will probably go with green flag As the IT infra seems better.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 06:50:29 AM »
A number of years ago I had to be recovered from the motorway, and the RAC got a third party to pick me up, as they were closer and quicker.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
Just for curiosity, is it prohibited in UK to change a tyre or make some other necessary repair by the motorway? Or is it must to have the car towed away immediately?

For reference, in Finland it is allowed to change a tyre on hard shoulder or to leave it there to be repaired or towed away next day.  It is also allowed to tow with another car by a rope, towing car has to be heavier than the car to be towed.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »
Just for curiosity, is it prohibited in UK to change a tyre or make some other necessary repair by the motorway? Or is it must to have the car towed away immediately?

Yes, you can change a wheel yourself, but the hard shoulder of a motorway is one of the most dangerous places on Britain's roads. You certainly can't leave a vehicle and come back the next day, it will be removed. As soon as the Police or highway authorities are aware of a broken down vehicle, they want it moved.

Towing with a rope is legal, but only regarded as an emergency measure to get you to a place of safely. Police will exercise their discretion, but towing a car down the motorway with a rope will almost certainly get you a pull.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »

Yes, you can change a wheel yourself, but the hard shoulder of a motorway is one of the most dangerous places on Britain's roads. You certainly can't leave a vehicle and come back the next day, it will be removed. As soon as the Police or highway authorities are aware of a broken down vehicle, they want it moved.

Towing with a rope is legal, but only regarded as an emergency measure to get you to a place of safely. Police will exercise their discretion, but towing a car down the motorway with a rope will almost certainly get you a pull.
Love the pun

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

For reference, in Finland it is allowed to change a tyre on hard shoulder or to leave it there to be repaired or towed away next day.  It is also allowed to tow with another car by a rope, towing car has to be heavier than the car to be towed.

It is not prohibited, but it's a very dangerous thing to do because other vehicles frequently "wander" onto the shoulder. The advice to drivers if you break down is to get everyone out  of the car through the nearside doors and on the other side of the safety barrier. The vehicle is then towed off  as quickly as possible; if repairs are necessary in situ (eg a truck needing a tyre change) they'll impose a speed limit and close at least one lane (sometimes more) to provide a safe working environment.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »
Love the pun

I don't know if our Finn friend will get it  ;)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 12:06:20 PM »
Yes, I got it  :D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
You get value for money on here  ;D

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
Indeed!  ;D

Thank you all for the explanations. Now I understand the interest and wide range of alternatives regarding the roadside and recovery services in UK.

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »
We drive Honda.
Why do we need brakedown cover?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
We drive Honda.

Only for punctures and flat batteries, obviously  ;)

Once, about 25 years ago, I ran out of petrol  :-[  I phoned the missus to fetch a gallon  :-*

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 10:53:42 PM »
We drive Honda.

...for that bloody i-shift gear box!!!

Tags:

anything