Author Topic: Hybrid Spark Plugs, which brand/spec??  (Read 4325 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Hybrid Spark Plugs, which brand/spec??
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
The time has come for my Hybrid Jazz to have the full service at 78k.

I have been quoted £340 for a full set of spark plugs, which works out as £253 for the plugs and £88 for fitting at Honda. So my thoughts are can I supply the plugs and save a few £?

The spec for the plugs are NGK Laser Iridium Plugs DILFR6J11. My local auto factors has said use Denso plugs that are £8.75 each, (£70 saving £180) but I don't think they are laser plugs, although they are iridium . . . . is the laser bit relevant ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Hybrid Spark Plugs, which brand/spec??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »
Opie Oils sell the genuine article for £20.50 each. Since it is a business purchase, tax deductible, would it not be better to get the specified part?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?VariantID=162955&SEName=ngk-dilfr6j11-92491-laser-iridium-spark-plug-fits-honda-jazz-hybrid&

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
The laser bit only refers to the method of welding the iridium electrode tips to the plug electrodes, the iridium bit is not very big but is extremely resistant to erosion by the spark ( it is spark erosion that widens the plug gap in normal plugs a lot quicker ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
Opie Oils sell the genuine article for £20.50 each. Since it is a business purchase, tax deductible, would it not be better to get the specified part?

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/showproduct.aspx?VariantID=162955&SEName=ngk-dilfr6j11-92491-laser-iridium-spark-plug-fits-honda-jazz-hybrid&

Thanks, but they only have 6 in stock.  :(

Its true it is a business purchase but so is £8 per plug  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:46 PM »
https://www.diycarserviceparts.co.uk/ngk-dilfr6j11-92491-laser-iridium-spark-plug.html

try here....

I fitted reasonably priced IZFR6K13  NGK plugs from OPIE into into my wifes MK2 Jazz about 18 months ago in place of the ultra-expensive DIFR6D13 specified and have not noticed any difference in starting or MPG or performance. They had Iridium centre electrode and platinum ground electrode.   The 'I' stands for iridium and the 'R' for resitor ( 5K ohms for electrical suppression ) and the last two digits are the plug gap in mm 11 = 1.1mm,  13 = 1.3mm.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:44:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »
Thanks, but they only have 6 in stock.
I take it the Hybrid has 8 plugs, like my i-DSi?

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »
Thanks, but they only have 6 in stock.
I take it the Hybrid has 8 plugs, like my i-DSi?
yep  :(

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
I wonder why the hybrid has a smaller plug gap?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
I wonder why the hybrid has a smaller plug gap?
The hybrid uses the Dual Spark engine, with two plugs per cylinder, and these engines all use 1.1 mm plug gaps.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Have been on Opie oils site and copied the specification for a 'normal'  NGK BKR6E-11 (2756) basic spark plug for twin spark i-DSI ,  and for DILFR6J11  the one specified for the hybrid.. The main difference is the thread length and the hybrid has Iridium centre and Platinum ground electrode, the normal I-DSI plug has a bog standard nickel centre electrode, most plugs are 19mm thread length the one for the hybrid is 26.5mm thread length.  PDF attached
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:41:32 AM by culzean »

tennand

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid from 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »
I would normally accept a cheaper alternative but in this instance not. Surely the different thread length means a different projection into the cylinder.  Plus whilst cash could be saved by having different tips, if I remember correctly  the back plugs are difficult to get to, so if the plugs require more frequent replacement then ......

Tags: