Author Topic: e:Ny1  (Read 32848 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: e:Ny1
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2023, 07:03:44 PM »
First take the estimated range, well in the real world, expect around 80-85% of that number

Real life example: WLTP range of 265 miles.
In our real world testing, we got an impressive 243 miles out of the #### thanks to efficiency of nearly 4.0 miles per kWh. That wasn’t gently hypermiling, but a stern test on Britain’s motorway network and some very hilly terrain in the Peak district.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/features-landing/fleet-news-ev-range-test#:~:text=While%20our%20test%20wasn't,than%20enough%20for%20most%20drivers.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/byd/dolphin-ev/

And yes, of course less range in winter, like our Jazz...  :(
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:19:24 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »
IIRC the e:Ny1 is the output of an joint venture (with GM?) which comes out of a factory in China and has been available in other parts of the world for about a year. Honda would need to pay me to swap my HR-V for the e:Ny1. The latter is bigger on the outside (which I don't want) and doesn't have the real life range that I would want. Never mind the issue of too many basic controls being on a big touchscreen (a usability failing which is shared with most, if not all EVs, and should be marked down in the safety tests).

Perhaps by 2030 one of the many planned new Honda EVs will tick the right boxes but it remains to be seen if it will be offered here. A vehicle which might suit many would be a Jazz given a double-skin floorpan with sufficient batteries sandwiched inside to give a genuine 250 mile winter range. The thicker floor would raise the seat height which would appeal to many older folk who want that height but not an SUV.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2023, 11:49:40 AM »
IIRC the e:Ny1 is the output of an joint venture (with GM?) which comes out of a factory in China and has been available in other parts of the world for about a year. Honda would need to pay me to swap my HR-V for the e:Ny1. The latter is bigger on the outside (which I don't want) and doesn't have the real life range that I would want. Never mind the issue of too many basic controls being on a big touchscreen (a usability failing which is shared with most, if not all EVs, and should be marked down in the safety tests).

Perhaps by 2030 one of the many planned new Honda EVs will tick the right boxes but it remains to be seen if it will be offered here. A vehicle which might suit many would be a Jazz given a double-skin floorpan with sufficient batteries sandwiched inside to give a genuine 250 mile winter range. The thicker floor would raise the seat height which would appeal to many older folk who want that height but not an SUV.

Just picking up on that touchscreen thing, my cousin's late husband had a long career in the car industry both on the manufacturing side and later in sales. He was also an advanced driver. I remember him saying years ago that he didn't understand how manufacturers were getting away with infotainment and or touch screens. He argued that there was little real difference between them and mobile phones which are illegal to use when driving - the difference is that the infotainment screen isn't hand held but, in terms of distraction, he argued they were similar.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 02:35:46 PM »
Depends how you use them.   Drivers  looking for then inserting CD's or cassettes, or retuning  older radios also caused many crashes. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2023, 02:59:03 PM »
Depends how you use them.   Drivers  looking for then inserting CD's or cassettes, or retuning  older radios also caused many crashes.

I used to car share with a bloke who did exactly that, scrabbling around on the floor after dropping a cassette. He, and his passengers, must have escaped death many times!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2023, 07:32:42 PM »
Another nail in the e:Ny1's coffin

Maybe I’m being too anthropomorphic here, but the e:Ny1 has tried to retain some Honda DNA: a vocal powertrain, its own take on regenerative braking and a sporty-feeling suspension set-up. Unfortunately all three turn out to be weaknesses: the Honda is the least quiet and comfortable of the trio.
On straight-line performance, the e:Ny1 narrowly beats the Hyundai, but its steering and dynamics aren’t as involving. Which leaves Honda’s trump card to be the nicest cabin with lots of space and the plushest materials, but rightly so given it’s just £6k less than a basic Porsche Macan. The Honda takes the bronze medal in our Hyundai Kona Electric vs Fiat 600e vs Honda e:Ny1 test.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/comparison/2023/fiat-600e-vs-hyundai-kona-electric-vs-honda-eny1/

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2023, 10:29:58 PM »
Honda new car pricing just a complete joke.  Can't understand the business rationale.  ::) Time to test drive a Dacia.  Not as good  - sure. But if you just want a small competent runaround car........ :(

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2023, 06:45:02 PM »
The Honda E in my hands for a year, whilst a terrific city car, was very disappointing in efficiency, averaging just 3 mile/kWh over the 12 months, whereas my Jazz has average nearly 57mpg over the same 1 year period with similar use.

That's pretty poor, my E is around 4, and most on the forum talk about 3.5 to 4.5 which is about average. All depends on many variables I suppose, my second car milage is not even worth having night time electric charges compared to the best deals overall. My Jazz is currently 63.3. The Ny1 I wouldn't even look at.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2023, 08:42:42 PM »
Time to test drive a Dacia.

Why would you want to test drive a Dacia if you have an almost new Crosstar?
If nothing goes right, go left!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »
The Honda E in my hands for a year, whilst a terrific city car, was very disappointing in efficiency, averaging just 3 mile/kWh over the 12 months, whereas my Jazz has average nearly 57mpg over the same 1 year period with similar use.

That's pretty poor, my E is around 4, and most on the forum talk about 3.5 to 4.5 which is about average. All depends on many variables I suppose, my second car milage is not even worth having night time electric charges compared to the best deals overall. My Jazz is currently 63.3. The Ny1 I wouldn't even look at.

Yes, very poor. Summer it was low 3's, winter high 2's. I think the issue was the high number of very short journeys, where the E tended to use significant battery on start-up, probably initially to heat or cool the cabin and I also think to bring the battery pack up to normal operating temperature.
On a particular longer run(15 miles) the E would average around 3.5, but usually below 4, whilst on the same run the Jazz averages 74-75mpg, every time without fail.(My Jaguar 24/25mpg for comparison)
On one bitterly cold icy/snowy 20 mile run, the E failed to better 2.

In general EV's from other manufacturers, seem to easily exceed the Honda EV's efficiencies

Tags: