Author Topic: Transition for manual to CVT - initial thoughts.  (Read 11787 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Transition for manual to CVT - initial thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »
The lack of pickup from a standstill is probably more down to the 1.3 engines Atkinson cycle than the CVT.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
I recall driving a new MGBGT in c 1973. It was PANTS...Slow, noisy, difficult to enter and exit. I subsequently bought a Lotus Elan with 130bhp - which was FAST.

A while ago I had a Morris Marina 1.8TC, which was the same engine as the MGB, IIRC.

John A

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »
Test drove a 2016 SE with CVT today, didn't thrash it as it was on less than the national speed limit roads, but seemed very civilised, and not that much difference from the manual car I own. Pick up the CVT car on Tuesday  ;D

On Wednesday probably searching / asking for how the different things work compared to the current car  ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
Test drove a 2016 SE with CVT today, didn't thrash it as it was on less than the national speed limit roads, but seemed very civilised, and not that much difference from the manual car I own. Pick up the CVT car on Tuesday  ;D

On Wednesday probably searching / asking for how the different things work compared to the current car  ::)

From my experience of driving conventional automatics and also  CVT just keep your left foot out of the way and forget you have a left foot.  You never need to accelerate and brake at same time and braking with left foot can be a salutary  / sobering experience. 

You may read other advice on internet about using both feet in an automatic,  but IMHO it can be dangerous
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
Totally agree.  The only thing you used your left foot for in the past (other that dipping the headlights in an old Morris) is to depress the clutch.

Depressing the imaginary clutch in an automatic kind of takes your breath away :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:29 PM »
I had a shot of an automatic with a large brake pedal. Something along these lines.

I did an emergency stop and hit the brake with both feet. Talk about standing on its nose!

John A

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2019, 07:42:18 PM »
Right foot to go faster or slower, left for the clutch is the mantra I try to follow. Will be trying not to swap between manuals and automatics as the subconscious need to depress the clutch as you come to a stop is very great for me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
I had a shot of an automatic with a large brake pedal. Something along these lines.

I did an emergency stop and hit the brake with both feet. Talk about standing on its nose!

The most important pedal is the brake !
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
I've never had to do anything special with my left foot when driving automatics. I put it on the floor and it stays there. I've never felt any impulse to try and press a non-existent clutch pedal. I do sometimes have a problem going the other way, at least at first. I sometimes forget to press the clutch in when coming to a stop, especially after a long drive without changing gear.

Frankly that was the reason I switched to automatics several years ago. I rented one on a visit to the USA and had no 'left-foot problems' but had a few when I returned to the UK and my manual car. I concluded that my body/brain was trying to tell me something so I switched to automatic and have never looked back.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »
My experience exactly. My first serious automatic driving was a 3 week stint working in California with an automatic hire car. On the last day, a colleague brought in his 71 pre federal spec Corvette for me to have a shot off. First junction I came to I thought "These brakes are cr@p". Eventually I managed to stall the 7.4 litre (454 cu inch) brute, with my left foot still on the floor!

Tags: