Author Topic: Infotainment System Error Message  (Read 78434 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Infotainment System Error Message
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
Having enjoyed about 10 weeks without the error message, it has returned with a vengeance this past week. Nothing has changed regarding my use of the system so just why this has suddenly happened is a mystery
Yup, that's the kind of pattern I'm seeing too, although my longest error-free period was about 3-4 weeks. Then it comes back sometimes several times in one journey.

I would encourage you to report it to your dealer as a warranty issue. Even if you feel it's trivial, it's not what you/we paid for, and if no-one reports it then Honda won't be in any rush to fix it. Not that they're in any rush anyway.

I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone with the Navi system is seeing this, or if it's confined to the non-Navi version.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »
I know I am going to regret this (so touch wood) I have the EX none Navi and am trouble free.
(That's buggered things, I will be lucky if the car ever starts again :-) :-))

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
Well, we might finally be getting some traction on this. Just had a call from Bath Honda telling me that the Honda techies have now decided that this is a hardware fault and therefore the solution is to replace the whole unit under warranty. It's probably pure coincidence that I've just written to the dealer's After-Sales Director expressing my displeasure and threatening to reject the car unless they come up with an acceptable solution. No date yet for availability of the replacement but at least I now have a way forward. And I'll be looking for assurances that the replacement unit is genuinely different, has been tested and proven error-free, rather than just fitting an identical one and crossing their fingers.

So anyone else with the problem needs to speak with their dealer, but after me in the queue please ...

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
Now the story has changed. I'm now told that there IS, after all, a software update that has just become available although the list of bug fixes covered by that doesn't seem to include this specific one. So the plan is to try that first and go to the hardware swap if the problem persists. Car's booked in next week.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
To be honest, it is unlikely that a hardware problem would cause this error.  I am pleased for you that they are going down the software route.  Fingers crossed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
To be honest, it is unlikely that a hardware problem would cause this error.  I am pleased for you that they are going down the software route.  Fingers crossed.

Microsoft has been releasing software full of bugs for decades,  their 'get out of jail card' is all the updates they constantly bombard their customers with via internet (and on Windows 10 it is hard to turn them off).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »
Software as complex as Windows is hardly likely be fault free but the updates are provided and usually work so why turn the update system off?

In Windows 10 the updates are done in the background so you are not aware of them unless a restart is required and even that is scheduled for a slack time on your PC.

The Honda 'infotainment' system appears to be a can of worms but is it only now that Honda are sorting it out?

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »
Software as complex as Windows is hardly likely be fault free but the updates are provided and usually work so why turn the update system off?

In Windows 10 the updates are done in the background so you are not aware of them unless a restart is required and even that is scheduled for a slack time on your PC.

The Honda 'infotainment' system appears to be a can of worms but is it only now that Honda are sorting it out?

Vic.

if you leave all updates on in windows 7 (which I like ) you will eventually get windows 10 (which i have tried and don't like) whether you want it or not - you have to untick 'give me recommended updates' in system and security - you still get security fixes,  but not 'windows 10 by stealth'

i have worked with industrial software for longer than i care to remember and hate the way we are now all hostages in our daily life to software we have no control over,  and if you are not connected to internet it is almost impossible to register equipment and get it working.  Software is power in the modern world, and it is more and more in the hands of global corporations who track our every move and who is talking to who.  'The Cloud' (which we are all encouraged to use) is nothing more than a huge mining opportunity for business and governments to get our personal information.

We have to remember that a lot of software is written by nerdy people who are in many cases either not capable or not interested in making it 'user friendly' or intuitive for normal mortals, and the result is often clunky and hard to fathom out.  The Japanese and Americans are normally good at producing software that is powerful but easy to use, the Germans are the ones who like to make things difficult and over-complicated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:34:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »
I still find bugs in our industrial control systems that have been there for 20'years. (And yes, I am a nerdy at times) :-)

guest6103

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

Newbie here and I don't even own a Jazz, but this is the most interesting thread I've found so far on this subject.

I have a Sept 2015 registered Honda Civic SE Plus, without Sat Nav.
I have exactly the same problem as the OP (Colin B)

The build info on my system was exactly the same until the dealer did a software upgrade in December to try to fix the problem.

Android version: 4.0.4
Kernel version: 3.1.10
build@HL6#2
Build number 02.084.02.0021       After the December Upgrade it is now 09.08C.00.0021 (Jun 2015)

It didn't fix it. All it did was add a TA button to the home screen.

Unfortunately since December I've been ill and it has taken a back seat, but getting back into my car more now, it's beginning to bug me. There was mention on a Civic forum that a Major Software Update was due in or around April, but no mention of what it fixed.

I'd really be interested to see this thread not loose track and please ColinB keep us posted on what happens and what your software build changes to.

I'm going to write up some info and add a pic then go into my dealer next week and see what's going on. At least I now know that there are other instances out there of the same problem.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
My car went in yesterday for the software update. However the plan changed, because on arrival I was told that because Honda had approved a warranty claim for a hardware exchange, the replacement unit had actually arrived so the plan now was to swap the unit and ensure it had the latest software. So that's what happened. Too soon to tell whether it's fixed the problem, I need to run it for a week or more to check thoroughly. Nor is that going to be much help to others to establish whether it's a H/W or S/W problem. But the new build does give you a TA button on the top menu so you can toggle traffic announcements off easily if you don't want them.

For info, the system data before yesterday was:
build@HL6#2
SMP PREEMPT Thurs Feb 19 15:13:35 JST 2015
Build number 02.084.02.0021
And after yesterday it's exactly as reported by kabot60, ie:
build@HL6#2
SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 9 01:22:59 JST 2015
Build number 09.08C.00.0021
If there is a "major software update" in the offing, then my car clearly didn't get it.

kabot60
That is a really helpful contribution, thank you. Although I'm sorry to hear the problem extends to Civics as well. It's also pretty disappointing to hear that (a) there's been a software update available since at least December that my dealer didn't know about, and (b) that it didn't fix the problem.

guest6103

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
It will be interesting to see how you get on with the new unit.

I have just had a reply on a Civic forum to this effect:-

"The latest update RC4 which came out on 28/04/16 fixes this, so ask your dealer to apply that."

I hope that you don't have to go back again. Keep us posted. Thanx.

IvorJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Hi. Took mine in yesterday as my 7 week old Jazz SE CVT was really annoying me with the error message along with reboots. Dealer applied 2 software updates. Have now collected car but don't see TA in the menu bar as previously mentioned although the loan car did have it. Also the service person said these updates could be applied by ourselves via the internet connection from a phone but I wonder if that's the case or if that just applies to apps. Hope the updates cure the problem and will report back if it happens again.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »
Yesterday I successfully self-applied the two system updates. However the build number remains 02.084.02.0021. The downloads were very small so I suspect that you only get the more recent build 09.08C.00.0021 (with TA button) if the dealer replaces the entire software package rather than applying the updates to  the older version.

Time will tell if these updates solve the problem.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:04:37 AM by JazzandJag »

guest6103

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
For information:-

Just had my Civic upgraded to what the dealer says is the latest software, been out since the end of April. So it's now:-

build@HL6#2
SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 25 14.19.42 JST 2016
Build number 0C.091.01.0021

Will re-post with any result in a couple of weeks.

Tags: