Author Topic: Keyless entry! What options do i have?  (Read 24013 times)

guest6092

Keyless entry! What options do i have?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
I just opened up my door panel to find the white and white/red wire. Although i can see the white/red wire But can't seem to locate  the white cable. Can you please have a look at the attached picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Keyless entry! What options do i have?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »
Might be able to see the route it takes from the door key switch through the film on the door, but I think the best place to connect up is in the footwell.  I might go and take a photo of mine to see if I can identify it. Will edit this if I can.

The door wires for locks, windows and mirrors pass through the rubber grommet then down to a grey and blue connector in the footwell.  Found a white/red and a white with silver grey blobs next to it on the grey connector.

Remember to disconnect battery if you are going to start joining to these cables, there will be 12v present at all times as the keyswitch temporarily connects them to ground.
Power the unit via one of the fuses.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
Yes i agree that the receiver should go in footwell since there's much more room to fit it in. I was looking for the white cable, but couldn't identify, therefore opened the door panel to see if it really existed or not...

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »
Images. Click Expand for full size.

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
Thanks TG. Ok. So far i have connected 
Receiver white/black - white on connector, on side that came out of the door.

Receiver white - white with silver dots.

Red wire to a power through a fuse.

Black - body.

Now the key that came with the car is not  working. The receiver also came with a LED, should it show some response if everything connected properly? Am i missing anything?

Edit: Also previously power door lock key used to work. But doesn't anymore. Instead I hear a clicking sound from the dashboard  when i press power door lock /unlock key.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »
Just want to say I've got factory remote locking, your wiring layout may be different depending on age/model/region etc. I haven't tested those wires to see if they are correct, but just looked to see if the white/red & white were easy to find.

If you need to drive to work tomorrow, might be best to disconnect now and try again next weekend. Also a multi-meter can help trace wires. I'm getting a bit cautious about encouraging you and don't want you to have a problem.

Step 0) Leave window open / Disconnect battery between each step

Step 1) If you just connect the power to the box, then your LED should indicate what's happening, and your normal key etc will still work. If not go back over your work.

Step 2) If you are following the 'negative trigger' wiring instructions, then you also need to connect the box's switches to ground as well. (See attached diagram)

Step 3) Connect unlock and test.

Step 4) Connect lock and test.

Briefly taking either the lock or unlock wire on the car to ground should activate the locks. (If doors are shut)
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
Update: just unplugged everything and locked the car. And after 10 minutes  went in and tried the power door lock and is working again.... Phew...
At least I didn't blow the dashboard lol...

I didn't understand your step 2!!
I have no clue of what's 'negative trigger '. And the receiver box doesn't have any switch.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »
I have no clue of what's 'negative trigger '. And the receiver box doesn't have any switch.
The universal kit probably has several different wiring diagrams; 'negative trigger' or 'ground pulse' is the one you want
Negative = Ground = 0 volts
Inside the remote locking adaptor kit are a pair of relays (let's call them switches).
On the Jazz you want the switch to be normally open (N/O) but close briefly when you blip the remote, when it closes you want it to connect your lock or unlock wire to ground which is the same action as the key in the lock when turned.

If one end of the switch is connected to ground and the other end to the locking wire, then when it closes it will activate the lock.

Pleased you are back to normal. If it's not raining tomorrow, I may go and label all the wires as there are quite a few people who read these guides and want to do something similar.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
So according to post #6, the diagram you have shown,  I supposed to ground these 3 wires? Yellow, yellow/black, and black?  Is that correct?

Also LED did not turn on when i powered the box, was that also due to above reason?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:15 PM »
That was an example instruction from a kit, it might not be the same as the one you bought, wires might be in different places or colours.

Can you take a picture of the wiring and any diagrams that came with yours?
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
Excellent.

Kit wires  >>>  Car wires

Yellow & yellow/black & black   >>>   ground (0 volts), i.e. under a bolt
Red           >>>   permanent 12v via a fuse
White         >>>   white/red  (lock)
White/black   >>>   white (unlock)

Note that white does not connect to white.

Just connect the red and black power wires first to test if it receives the signal from the remote and you can see the  LED blink. If that seems OK, move on to the (un)locking.
Probably a good idea to make sure there is no exposed cores of the other spare wires able to contact anything so tape them up.

The diagram alignment is a bit off and there's a small misprint on the 2nd picture, but looks OK otherwise.

Hope this helps.

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 06:52:20 PM »
Many Many many thanks to you.... TG ...
It's working like a breeze.. :)

PS: on this particular kit, the led does not show any indication when just plugged in + - , it only works once all the cable s are connected. More precisely only when the car is unlocked, only red light blinks.

Here's how I have connected the cable without cutting the wires. First uncovered the wires approx 1 cm length. Fold and insert inside the cable socket and tapped the cable with the other cable connected to socket. Its just enough space to fit in. I know its not the best way to do it but I didn't want to strip the cable halfway. Also my cables are vert short. 

One more question for TG. I would be much more grateful if you can help to identify of where to connect  the cable for direction lights and siren please? Since I have easy access  to dashboard right now, it would be nice to complete other connections as well.

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »
Update: I was trying to locate the cables for direction indicator and from this diagram it seems i need to connect brown cable from Kit >> green/red & green/yellow.

And for horn its pink >> blue/red... Am I right?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »
OK great news so far then.
Friction fit connections might come loose, but you'll know what to do to fix it.  I've had a further look and found some original instructions which clarify a few things.

Looking at the car's horn and indicators / hazard light control circuit most of it is quite buried without removing further bits of trim, but the rear indicator lights cabling runs down the drivers side of the car and can be traced from the footwell.  The indicators take quite a lot of power (21w + 5w + 21w) x 2 = 94w so it's seems beneficial that the two brown wires from the kit are fairly thick.  You can connect one brown wire to the left hand indicators and the other brown wire to the right hand indicators, but they will need to be good connections to support the potential current draw.

The circuit diagram shows green/yellow for RH indicators and green/red for LH indicators, you could trace back the cable bundle that runs along the drivers sill to find where the connections are made to the under dash fusebox. (It's also a junction box with connections on both sides). 

I'm not certain what the siren/horn connection will achieve, bibbing the horn when locking or unlocking is not much use.  If it's for a panic alarm that might be worth it.  You can hear the locks operate from quite a distance so that's all you really need to be sure it's working. 

The horn is driven by a relay so you ought to use that rather than connecting directly.
The circuit diagram shows it's the orange wire routed from the steering column to the engine bay fusebox.  There will be a junction between the dashboard loom and the engine bay loom again in the under dash fusebox area.

Beware of just finding the correct colour wire somewhere, as the same colours get used in different places for different things. For instance the green/red used for the LH indicators is the same colour as an electrical load sensor wire from the engine bay that also goes via the under dash box en-route to the car's main computer.  Easiest method is to isolate and tape up the spare wires, then it will be the same as cars with factory remote, they don't have sirens or flash the indicators.

Remember to disconnect battery when making changes to the wiring, it only takes 12v in the wrong place to fire an airbag or seat belt tensioner.
--
TG

Tags: