Author Topic: Help please! Loud foghorn noise?  (Read 1714 times)

Sami765

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi sport cvt
Help please! Loud foghorn noise?
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
Hi! Please help, I know nothing about cars! I recently purchased a used 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi CVT. Yesterday it started intermittently making a loud foghorn (is the only way I can describe it) noise, mainly when braking but also a few times when my foot wasn't on the brake. I have a video of the sound, not sure if I can post it on here? Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Help please! Loud foghorn noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »
Sounds like the brake pads are worn out.

Sami765

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
Sounds like the brake pads are worn out.
I took it into my local garage this morning I forgot to say and the mechanic looked at it (not on the ramp) and drove it round but it didn't make the noise. He said it looks a decent, tidy car. Would he have noticed worn brake pads, or not without putting it on the ramp? Thanks for the reply!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »
Brake pads are very difficult to see without taking the wheels off. It could be caused by a stone lodged between the brake back plate and the disc. Has it done it since the mechanic had a look?

Sami765

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
Brake pads are very difficult to see without taking the wheels off. It could be caused by a stone lodged between the brake back plate and the disc. Has it done it since the mechanic had a look?
It last made the noise when taking my children to school this morning, then didn't make it on the way to the garage or home afterwards. Here's a link to the noise, I've put it on YouTube.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
That is just plain weird. Sounds like the wind blowing over something. Doesn't sound like brakes at all.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
I once had a piece of road granite stuck between brake pad and disc and that made an awful noise,  but the noise was there all the time - don't remember if I had to prise it out or got rid of it by reversing and applying the brakes.  If the noise is a 'shriek' and only there when you apply brakes it is 99% going to be the noise of the acoustic wear strips on the brake pads,      you have to inspect both pads on every wheel as the wear on the outer pad that you can see may not be the same as the inner pad.  The hydraulic cylinder only pushes on the inner brake pad, brake caliper floats on two guide pins ( to allow it to equalise the pressure on both pads ) that are supposed to be lubricated and shielded from dirt and water by rubber bellow seals, sometimes the pins are just not lubricated,  and sometimes the protective bellow have slipped of or been damaged ( split ) and allowed water and crud in.   If the caliper is seized on the pins the inner pad will wear a lot more than the outer one because it is the only one touching the disc, and the other pad will hardly wear at all.

Another explanation is that the anti-squeal shims behind the pad have been left out,  this will make a different noise ( remember the noise buses and big lorries used to make when braking at low speed, that was the pads vibrating). That used to have a lower pitched tone a bit like the foghorn you describe...

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/brake-shims.htm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:51:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
That is just plain weird. Sounds like the wind blowing over something. Doesn't sound like brakes at all.

Not easy to tell on the laptop speakers, but on the headphones it has a definite metallic ring to it. It could be a brake pad audible wear indicator, they can sound dulled like that if rusted up... or maybe a brake shield rubbing on the disk?

Dunno, really, but that's where I would start. It's a strange noise for sure! Have a listen with the windows open, see if you can tell front or back, and which side.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:43:41 PM by sparky Paul »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
Try reversing and braking with care, let the forum know how you get on.

jon1612

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 idsi cvt 7 sport
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »
Ok I will ask a question that may sound stupid But does it only make the noise  when you are moving ?
the reason I ask is because by the sound you have recorded sounds more like a electric motor bearing squeal, ie heater fan or radiator fan,  if it makes the noise when driving and not touching brakes could be radiator fan turning under air pressure.
just a thought

Tags: